Duke game MVP

Reacher

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

One thing about that play that I didn't notice live, but picked up when they showed the replay, the Duke guys grabbed Al's shoulder from behind, sort of how a defensive back tries to subtly pull the back shoulder of a wide receiver going over the middle. It was just a slight tug, but enough to pull him back slightly and allow the Duke guy to get by him. Refs missed it, but again it was slight, but effective. 

That wasn't the only time. I'm not saying we lost because of missed calls (obviously not the case) but Duke's players were often making use of little grabs and pushoffs -- Allen pushed off of Rob several times with no call made. I'm not even saying I think Duke plays dirty (I don't). Rather, they will take advantage of non-calls in little grabs and push-offs, etc., and the refs should do a better job of watching for those.

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

One thing about that play that I didn't notice live, but picked up when they showed the replay, the Duke guys grabbed Al's shoulder from behind, sort of how a defensive back tries to subtly pull the back shoulder of a wide receiver going over the middle. It was just a slight tug, but enough to pull him back slightly and allow the Duke guy to get by him. Refs missed it, but again it was slight, but effective. 

Ah.  I didn't notice.  Initially looked like he just got out hustled thinking he could just go and pick it up not realizing the speed and intensity his opponent was bringing.  Still think he should have gotten the ball and the short benching will reinforce that next time Al fights harder for the ball and gets it.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Ah.  I didn't notice.  Initially looked like he just got out hustled thinking he could just go and pick it up not realizing the speed and intensity his opponent was bringing.  Still think he should have gotten the ball and the short benching will reinforce that next time Al fights harder for the ball and gets it.  

I thought the exact same thing when the play happened live. Then they showed the replay and I noticed his momentum stop/halt as he was about to go after the ball. It pulled him back for a split-second and as I said it was a slight tug, but it was enough to give the Duke player the better position. 

42 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That wasn't the only time. I'm not saying we lost because of missed calls (obviously not the case) but Duke's players were often making use of little grabs and pushoffs -- Allen pushed off of Rob several times with no call made. I'm not even saying I think Duke plays dirty (I don't). Rather, they will take advantage of non-calls in little grabs and push-offs, etc., and the refs should do a better job of watching for those.

If Allen ever runs up against a ref who calls the push  off, he will foul out in 10 minutes (provided the ref can stand up to Coach K's heat)

6 hours ago, IUaic said:

Not the MVP, but I was impressed by Al Durham. Probably the biggest game of his career so far, he played well, he played with poise, and the only negative I remember from him was the foul he picked up when he lost the ball in the second half, but he at least went to the floor for it and it wasn't obvious to me from my living room why he was called for a foul on the play. 

When they showed the replay, it looked like actually a Duke player held him back. 

20 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Agreed. Overall. He was very impressive against the elite redwoods from Durham. He definitely held his own.

This is a big sentence with a good use of metaphors. Have you been taking night classes at an online school somewhere? Couldn't be a local school, that wouldn't help you. 

Speaking of calls, and they didn't matter, but Bagley travels.  There was one play where he shuffled his feet twice and never put the ball on the deck.  He never kept his pivot, and effectively moved to the hoop to score without any dribbling.  It was as if he were a tight end matriculating down the field to score.  

There's a youtube of some of the most hilarious travels in the NBA where there was no call.  It's hilarious.

40 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Speaking of calls, and they didn't matter, but Bagley travels.  There was one play where he shuffled his feet twice and never put the ball on the deck.  He never kept his pivot, and effectively moved to the hoop to score without any dribbling.  It was as if he were a tight end matriculating down the field to score.  

There's a youtube of some of the most hilarious travels in the NBA where there was no call.  It's hilarious.

I saw the same thing. I yelled out travel after one instance and they showed the replay with lots of shuffling- perhaps the one you noticed. 

I'm picking Hartmann !! Especially because the individual who belitttled my post about how much IU Missed Hartmann last season !! The kid has had MORE than his share of injury troubles while at IU , YET he SCORES 11 POINTS OFF THE BENCH against the #1 TEAM in the entire flipping country , DUKE , who has an NBA type group of post players !! Here's hoping that Collin never has another [ censured ] injury and can finish out this season in its entirety !! I have a friend who is an Avid IU fan and he is saying that Hartmann will become a Starter  [ if he - Hartmann- stays healthy] by the time all of the Non-conference games are over !! From his lips to GOD"S ears !!

Archived