Coach Archie Miller

I think the legend of Archie Miller began last night.

The talent gap between Duke and IU's players was much greater than the end result of the game. Once Archie closes that talent gap through high level recruiting over the next few years, then IU will return to the national power status it held 20-30 years ago. Nothing against the players we have or their talent levels because I really like all the members of the team.

LOVED Archie's coaching tonight. Refreshing to see him pull players when they make mistakes and give them some coaching/time to reflect on the bench. 

LOVED Archie's game plan tonight. The double teams on Bagley seemed effective and the team recovered well off of them. Great defensive effort all around limited him and Allen most of the night.

Thought we could use a CAM topic to discuss our coach throughout this season and many more to come.

Just posted this in the game thread but it is more appropriate here-

"Not only is Indiana now capable of defending the nation’s best team on the perimeter, but at the offensive end, Miller has somehow transformed this program into one of careful thought and intellect, which has to stun every fan that has followed this program over its recent past."

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2017/11/30/tom-davis-indiana-basketball-has-been-transformed-quickly-by-archie-miller/

Also, one of the Duke writers made an early prediction for Archie as Coach of the Year. Will be interesting to follow...

Cyber said it best. The talent gap was much greater than the final score showed, which is excellent. We were in a game that we had no business being in.

We are a horrible shooting team with no true point guard, and had our best big missing the first half.... and we were leading with almost 5 minutes to go.

Thrilled with Archie. The next few games are going to be interesting... but once Archie gets some talent in here, look out.

Just now, BGleas said:

And the key part to that is that IU wasn't in the game because of some insane, unexpected shooting night, it was through grit, grind, preparation, scheme, and smart basketball. 

Bingo. We shot terrible, and still were in it until the end. Great point!

The ACC domination in this challenge also shows that the B1G is down this year and after MSU at the top, I think 2-10 is truly up for grabs. Preseason I thought we'd finish 4/5 in the B1G due to the B1G weakness and "overrated nature" of Turdue, NW, and Minny. After the ISU game, I thought I was dead wrong, but after last night's game I'm back to my original thoughts. What I mean by "overrated nature" is that while those teams very well many finish 2-4 in the B1G they aren't as good as typical top 4 B1G teams, so they should have a lot more losses and make the race for 2nd wide open.

Bringing this back to CAM, the tremendous improvement from ISU to Duke, both quantifiable (17 vs 3 3PA, 19 vs 9 TOs) and visual (effort, defense) is miraculous in my mind and if we are able to show continued improvement (I think we will), then we'd be capable of beating any team in the league. The scary thought is that the loss to ISU could signal that we're capable of losing to any team in the league as well.

Time will tell...

^^ Time will tell for sure. 

I'm still thinking more long term, that game was in the Hall and with the intensity of a game against the #1 team where the pressure is more on the #1 team than IU, and we had lots of days to prepare. This is not to discount, at all, what CAM is doing -- I love the way we attacked the zone, limited TO's again (the improvement in ball control is a fantastic sign), worked the ball inside and out, got Morgan and Davis involved, etc. -- but the B1G road is hard and the team hasn't yet shown how it will continue to improve in road games and League play. 

I think this team is going to win more games than I thought it would, but whether we're top 4-6, or top 7-9, I can't tell yet. I think we're starting to look like a top 4-6 team but have a lot to still prove. 

Regardless, I'm getting pretty optimistic about what CAM can do at IU going forward.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm still thinking more long term, that game was in the Hall and with the intensity of a game against the #1 team where the pressure is more on the #1 team than IU, and we had lots of days to prepare. This is not to discount, at all, what CAM is doing -- I love the way we attacked the zone, limited TO's again (the improvement in ball control is a fantastic sign), worked the ball inside and out, got Morgan and Davis involved, etc. -- but the B1G road is hard and the team hasn't yet shown how it will continue to improve in road games and League play. 

I think this team is going to win more games than I thought it would, but whether we're top 4-6, or top 7-9, I can't tell yet. I think we're starting to look like a top 4-6 team but have a lot to still prove. 

Regardless, I'm getting pretty optimistic about what CAM can do at IU going forward.

Great post.  I was about to make these exact points, although you said them very artfully.  We have the same sense of the team and saw the same things last night.

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Just posted this in the game thread but it is more appropriate here-

"Not only is Indiana now capable of defending the nation’s best team on the perimeter, but at the offensive end, Miller has somehow transformed this program into one of careful thought and intellect, which has to stun every fan that has followed this program over its recent past."

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2017/11/30/tom-davis-indiana-basketball-has-been-transformed-quickly-by-archie-miller/

Also, one of the Duke writers made an early prediction for Archie as Coach of the Year. Will be interesting to follow...

I saw this paragraph too. Thought the key word was 'intellect'. Many of us rode our players really hard in Crean era for lack of basketball IQ. In fact, now I can see it was squarely on the coach. That same group of kids has changed and made a big progress only in 7 games! This is the coaching prowess our fanbase has been craving for 17 years. It's only a matter of time!

Go Hoosiers!

Keep the faith ! IF Hartmann STAYS 100 % HEALTHY and we do NOT lose any other players to INJURY [LIKE LAST SEASON and SEASONS PAST] I just feel & sense that  this edition of "Your Indiana Hoosiers"  ARE going to get BETTER as the season progresses ! I think this season's ENTIRE Coaching Staff is light years BETTER OVERALL than last seasons Total Coaching staff !! Archie Miller made some outstanding DECISIONS concerning his coaching ASSISTANTS  to work with him in getting IU to a higher level than we have achieved since RMK's firing!! Go "Archie & the Gang "  !!!!!

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Completely agree.

We played well last night, but we had everything going right for us heading into that game.  Duke had a rough schedule and travel schedule leading up to our game.  They also have a handful of freshman who had never played a true road game.  We also gave up 91 points to a team that shot 3-17 from 3.

One of our complaints this year has been that the seniors haven't been up for games and playing to their full potential.  Anybody can get up for the #1 team.  Can Miller consistently get them up every game?  Remains to be seen IMO.

I was happy we were able to stay in the game until the last couple minutes, but I don't really use last night as a judgement game.  Once we starting getting more into our 50/50 games, we'll have a lot better idea of what he'll be like as a coach.

I'm excited to see how we'll do the next couple games.  Those are games we have a shot in.  Let's go out and get off to a good start in Big Ten play!

My two cents...I love seeing the ball actually go through the post position, seeing team play, backdoor screens, an actual in-bounds design play, using timeouts for a reason,  and feeling like I'm actually watching IU basketball again!  It's been awhile since I can say that.  Also, I have a feeling we are seeing the team getting better throughout the season, unlike the regressions we have seen from the teams nearly the past decade.  Archie, with a little seasoning and some players, will make Indiana the force we all want to be real soon!  This is a loss I actually feel good about, and I didn't know that was possible.  Especially the way we started the season.  It's going to take a little time, but we are making strides! 

Curious to see how we perform on Saturday.

The ball NEEDS to go through the post position. Why ?  Because De'Ron is unselfish.  Even Bilas said at times he felt De'Ron was too unselfish.  On the other hand, De'Ron is great at not only looking for and finding the open man, but his passing is very capable of hitting the open man. 

Archie is the type of coach many of us have been waiting on for over 15 years. Archie is the first coach since Knight that actually seems to understand Indiana basketball culture. This is honestly the first coach since Knight that I truly believe will take us back to the top. I gave the others a chance but was skeptical with all of them from the start. 

Archie’s philosophy meshes well with Indiana basketball culture. Tough defense, scrappy, protect the ball, shoot more FT than the other team attempts, attack the rim. This is also a style that can win in March. Gone are the days of the dribble 3 man weave, live and die by the three. 

Still a lot of room for growth and the talent needs upgraded. Even if we are a 12-15 win team this season, I am content knowing we have the right guy and we are finally building in the right direction. 

4 hours ago, Feathery said:

Archie is the type of coach many of us have been waiting on for over 15 years. Archie is the first coach since Knight that actually seems to understand Indiana basketball culture. This is honestly the first coach since Knight that I truly believe will take us back to the top. I gave the others a chance but was skeptical with all of them from the start. 

Archie’s philosophy meshes well with Indiana basketball culture. Tough defense, scrappy, protect the ball, shoot more FT than the other team attempts, attack the rim. This is also a style that can win in March. Gone are the days of the dribble 3 man weave, live and die by the three. 

Still a lot of room for growth and the talent needs upgraded. Even if we are a 12-15 win team this season, I am content knowing we have the right guy and we are finally building in the right direction. 

My thoughts exactly. Well said.

5 hours ago, Feathery said:

Well said. This relationship could be a match made in heaven. IU fans in general love fundamentally sound basketball.

interesting.  i'm going to be negative nelly here and spin it this way... 100% agreed that our talent is nowhere near Duke's, but all we did was make it a respectable game at home.  we still lost to ISU at home and haven't looked very impressive for the most part.  now, i also agree that it's a process and expect us to look better and better on both ends.  i'm also not saying i don't believe in CAM.  i am a fan.  i'm just thinking it's a little early to say that the legend of Archie Miller has begun after a home loss and no big wins yet.

32 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

interesting.  i'm going to be negative nelly here and spin it this way... 100% agreed that our talent is nowhere near Duke's, but all we did was make it a respectable game at home.  we still lost to ISU at home and haven't looked very impressive for the most part.  now, i also agree that it's a process and expect us to look better and better on both ends.  i'm also not saying i don't believe in CAM.  i am a fan.  i'm just thinking it's a little early to say that the legend of Archie Miller has begun after a home loss and no big wins yet.

Agreed.  But, if he beats Fort Wayne,  I'm on board.  :coffee:

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Fair assessment. If I, one of them who are on the band wagon, explain the reasons, I like to point out 3 things.

First thing is CAM's got great substance in his game on both ends of the court, and that is all based on strong fundamental. It is my belief that strong fundamental in sports gives athletes or teams best chance of winning and can potentially minimize huge ups and downs in performance. 

Second, even if a coach has a very sound system/scheme, it doesn't mean anything if he can't effectively and efficiently teach. We've got a bunch of Crean's kids whom many of us thought didn't possess an ounce of basketball IQ. Look how they're transforming. We started this season as an unsure team both offensively and defensively, and now 7 games under their belts, they made progress game after game. I think good part of the reason is that CAM exercises good 'carrot and stick' in his teaching; in other words, he's got strong X's and O's. The fact that he was once a point guard of a D-1 program and that he was a coach's son (and coach's brother) also helps.

Third, his hard-nosed, no-nonsense personality (yet laid-back and friendly off the court) resonates to the players. Also, CAM demonstrated strong sense of responsibility in every one of his press conferences I've watched. He sets the tone as the leader of the program. 

Of course, we have to wait and see how this season progresses. I'm sure we'll have some disappointments along the way, but what I'm also sure about is if we look at this season in hindsight later on, we will all agree the team has made good progress throughout the season. 

25 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Fair assessment. If I, one of them who are on the band wagon, explain the reasons, I like to point out 3 things.

First thing is CAM's got great substance in his game on both ends of the court, and that is all based on strong fundamental. It is my belief that strong fundamental in sports gives athletes or teams best chance of winning and can potentially minimize huge ups and downs in performance. 

Second, even if a coach has a very sound system/scheme, it doesn't mean anything if he can't effectively and efficiently teach. We've got a bunch of Crean's kids whom many of us thought didn't possess an ounce of basketball IQ. Look how they're transforming. We started this season as an unsure team both offensively and defensively, and now 7 games under their belts, they made progress game after game. I think good part of the reason is that CAM exercises good 'carrot and stick' in his teaching; in other words, he's got strong X's and O's. The fact that he was once a point guard of a D-1 program and that he was a coach's son (and coach's brother) also helps.

Third, his hard-nosed, no-nonsense personality (yet laid-back and friendly off the court) resonates to the players. Also, CAM demonstrated strong sense of responsibility in every one of his press conferences I've watched. He sets the tone as the leader of the program. 

Of course, we have to wait and see how this season progresses. I'm sure we'll have some disappointments along the way, but what I'm also sure about is if we look at this season in hindsight later on, we will all agree the team has made good progress throughout the season. 

The press conferences have been so refreshing. I actually enjoy listening to our coach talk again. 

Archived