General Music Thread

IUFLA

Glen Campbell was one of my Dad's favorites, and I loved his music too...This was Dad's favorite song, and mine too, when I was about 12...I think he's a very underappreciated musician...

And since I'll be seeing a BUNCH of these today at the Houston Rodeo... :D 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

On 3/1/2023 at 1:00 PM, IUFLA said:

Glen Campbell was one of my Dad's favorites, and I loved his music too...This was Dad's favorite song, and mine too, when I was about 12...I think he's a very underappreciated musician...

And since I'll be seeing a BUNCH of these today at the Houston Rodeo... :D 

He is definitely underrated. 

My favorite may be I’m Not Gonna Miss You. After seeing someone with Alzheimer’s that song took on a new meaning. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Victor Oladipo, BS'13, recently released a new album titled "Tunde." While talking with "American Songwriter," he mentioned showcasing his voice at IU Bloomington.

"I actually have yet to ever sing the "National Anthem," so that’s one thing on my bucket list. But I’ve sung at Hoosier Hysteria, which is this really big thing at the university I went to [Indiana University]. They pack it out with fans. I performed there," Oladipo says.

• 2 weeks later...

The missus and I figured that if we were going to see Elton John on his Farewell Tour then it should be in London. So, we flew over for a long weekend this weekend.

INCREDIBLE show and performer. He hit all of the highlights - and the dude has a lot of them! You could tell he was pretty emotional on some of the songs. Their was a career retrospective montage during “I’m Still Standing” and it was like, “Damn, this dude has been on everything.”

Who else has been on Sesame Street, The Muppets, Soul Train, The Simpsons, Sonny and Cher, etc, etc. 

I’m not sure there is a more important musical, pop culture icon still with us that spans that many decades and touched so many different genres. Definitely a concert highlight for me. 

1204AF7D-EA78-4ACB-9349-A111C653DCD7.jpeg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody think that Marvin Gaye is rolling in his grave over his estate’s stupid law suit against Ed Sheeran? If Sheeran loses it’s going to set quite the precedence. How are any more pop songs going to get written if they’re going to allow people to enforce copyrights on chord progressions? Haha. 

image.jpeg.c8ad814b7f3d093b2a683e662f81b878.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 4:06 PM, tdhoosier said:

Anybody think that Marvin Gaye is rolling in his grave over his estate’s stupid law suit against Ed Sheeran? If Sheeran loses it’s going to set quite the precedence. How are any more pop songs going to get written if they’re going to allow people to enforce copyrights on chord progressions? Haha. 

image.jpeg.c8ad814b7f3d093b2a683e662f81b878.jpeg

It seems we’re safe for now!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Google Play music, which morphed into YouTube Music, jacked their Family Plan up to $22.99 a month so I ditched them in favor of Apple Music...

Works well with Google Assistant... No real change in that... I do like they way the music sounds ("Lossless" is a nice feature) and they seemingly have an as good of not better catalog...

I probably would have went with Spotify, but of the 6 of us, 4 have iPhones, and getting stupid Siri to work on any other streaming service is an exercise in hoop jumping... 

On 5/19/2023 at 7:49 PM, IUFLA said:

Google Play music, which morphed into YouTube Music, jacked their Family Plan up to $22.99 a month so I ditched them in favor of Apple Music...

Works well with Google Assistant... No real change in that... I do like they way the music sounds ("Lossless" is a nice feature) and they seemingly have an as good of not better catalog...

I probably would have went with Spotify, but of the 6 of us, 4 have iPhones, and getting stupid Siri to work on any other streaming service is an exercise in hoop jumping... 

we use Apple Music and we like it. 

• Like 1

Accents have always fascinated me.  I have an Aunt who grew up in Southern Indiana, moved to Connecticut 50 years ago, and has sounded like a native New Englander for years.  How does that happen?

Anyway, I also find it interesting that accents are often 'lost' when singing.  You often can't tell a musical artist has an accent until you hear them speak.  That is NOT the case for this song, however.  I've always really liked the song, and it played on the radio in my car about 15 minutes ago.  Dolores O'Riordan's accent comes out in full force during this song, and it's perfect.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Accents have always fascinated me.  I have an Aunt who grew up in Southern Indiana, moved to Connecticut 50 years ago, and has sounded like a native New Englander for years.  How does that happen?

Anyway, I also find it interesting that accents are often 'lost' when singing.  You often can't tell a musical artist has an accent until you hear them speak.  That is NOT the case for this song, however.  I've always really liked the song, and it played on the radio in my car about 15 minutes ago.  Dolores O'Riordan's accent comes out in full force during this song, and it's perfect.

One of my absolute favorite songs ever... 

• Like 2

Heard this song on the car radio about an hour ago.  I still remember the first time I heard it.  It was the early 90's and I was driving home very late at night after visiting a friend in Bowling Green, Kentucky.  If you've never driven the stretch of I-65 between Bowling Green and Louisville, its about as boring as it can get.  At 1 A.M., it's a downright lonely stretch of road.  I remember the song, because I was super focused on the radio in an effort to keep me awake, and when the song came on, it literally gave me the chills. Don't know if it was the whistling, the song's message, or just a perfect storm of everything at that moment to create an emotional response that would stick with me forever.  But, it did.  

Edited by 5fouls