IU/Michigan game thread

7 minutes ago, ephul said:

Your thought process of, throw enough  $hit up against the wall, some of it will stick, won't work. Green isn't a shooter, Durham isn't a shooter, Robert has been awful. That would be absurd. You play through the strengths of the team, and that strength is our big guys. Do we need to force shots down low? Of course not. Kick it out to open guys. But suggesting we have our poor shooters just throw more 3s up isn't going to work.

Our problem right now is awful defense. Even moreso than our shooting.

My thought process is far from "throw $hit up against the wall". You should read my 2nd post.

You can't abandon 3 point shots and be successful. You just can't. Never once did I say we should just throw it up there, nor did I even imply it.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Who? Deron? Shooting around 50% at the rim at Michigan? Anyone else out there over 6'8"?

De'Ron is more of a sure bet than our 3 point shooters. That's a fact. 

We just aren't a talented team. It's unfortunate, and frustrating. But Archie is putting down the foundation

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

De'Ron is more of a sure bet than our 3 point shooters. That's a fact. 

We just aren't a talented team. It's unfortunate, and frustrating. But Archie is putting down the foundation

Agree with you on De'Ron.... and can't understand why Archie kept De'Ron out for most of the second half.  De'Ron was not close to being in foul trouble in the second half. Scratching my head.  And just wondering if Archie was sending a message,  ala Bobby Knight.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Agree with you on De'Ron.... and can't understand why Archie kept De'Ron out for most of the second half.  De'Ron was not close to being in foul trouble in the second half. Scratching my head.  And just wondering if Archie was sending a message,  ala Bobby Knight.

I think he was a poor match-up vs the MI bigs that can take him outside. Couple that with his lackluster start and you get De'Ron on the bench. Morgan showed you can score inside vs MI, De'Ron should have been able to feast inside with his size advantage. Needs to get a few rebounds for us as well. 

My take aways from today's game:

-We came out tight and simple couldn't buy a bucket early in the game. We were short arming shots that were good opportunities and makable.

-Our defense was completely confused early on rotations and left wide open shooters to knock down threes. This wasn't shocking being we're a young team playing Beilein's offensive approach, which is really outstandingly coached and executed. This combined with our awful shooting left us in a hole we never could dig out of. 

-It was rough to watch RJ slipped back into so the old bad habit of putting his head down and dribbling into chaos without a clue what to do with the ball in the first half. In general, our guards never posed a threat today from the perimeter or taking it to the hole consistently. I'm not sure some people are wanting us to shoot more threes. We've only one game this year where we shot well from deep. I'm all for an open shooter taking the perimeter shot on the ball rotation, but this team shouldn't be looking to jack more threes they way the shoot it from out there. It just doesn't make sense unless it comes from a kick out pass or ball rotation after looking low first. 

-This team needs to learn how to cut to the basket when the ball goes into the post. Outside of Hartman, there's a lot of standing around once it enters in, leaving the post players to either shoot or try to see over 2-3 guys to find a pass to the open player on the opposite side. 

-Perimeter players can't just stand with the ball telegraphing the post entry pass for 3-4 seconds. The ball needs to move faster around the perimeter to find pass into the post player while the defense in transition. It was painful to watch our guys stare down the entry pass only to allow the defense to work its way around and deflect the pass. I wouldn't complain about more pick and roll plays to get the ball into our interiors players as well. We've been pretty successful with that all year. 

-Davis with 4 points/1 rebound/3 fouls in 18 minutes. Ouch. 

-Morgan was really the only player that showed up today and played an effective game. I'm really impressed with his growth on both ends of the court. He's deceivingly athletic on both ends and may be the best player on our team on consistent basis at this point. I wouldn't mind seeing him get more assertive and vocal to fire this team up! 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Probably had to do with Davis not rebounding since he had only one rebound and that shouldn't happen when you are 6'10

I think this team doesn’t play with any energy or excitement. I know the new cool thing is to look uninterested, but Juwan and Robert cannot lead by having blank looks on their face no mAtter what happens. I wish they would act like they were having fun and maybe eventually they actually would have fun. BTW, this is more a criticism across sports than just IU b-ball. 

8 hours ago, Chad B said:

I think this team doesn’t play with any energy or excitement. I know the new cool thing is to look uninterested, but Juwan and Robert cannot lead by having blank looks on their face no mAtter what happens. I wish they would act like they were having fun and maybe eventually they actually would have fun. BTW, this is more a criticism across sports than just IU b-ball. 

This is all awfully subjective. 

I think the turn of phrase “lead by example” might apply.

Juwan’s been playing good basketball. It’s kind of like that thing from a few years ago, “resting bitch face.” Some people just don’t show emotion like others. We recruited and are training basketball players, not actors.

Archived