High School Hoops '20-'21

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

@ricoThought you might like to listen to this podcast with your Alma Meter's new basketball coach.  Matt Denison, the host, is heavily involved in covering high school hoops down in my part of the state.  But, he's been doing this series on coaches all over the state, and this week it is Chris Benedict,

TY...when I get time.  Interested in what the coach has to say.  And hopefully he can return the program back to the glory days.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Do you know how long TK will be sidelined?

Don't know.  On the livestream last night it appeared he was still limping a bit when the team was coming out of and going to the locker room.

Have not needed him yet, but a couple of big games next week.  

Big weekend next Saturday at Southport.  Of most interest to us is the last game.  That's Duncomb's team playing the #1 team in Indiana.

Southport, Dec. 12
2:00 pm North Central (Indianapolis) vs. Franklin Central
3:30 pm Gary West vs. Southport
5:00 pm North Harrison vs. Barr-Reeve
6:30 pm Fort Wayne Blackhawk vs. Silver Creek
8:20 pm Cincinnati Moeller (Ohio) vs. Lawrence North
  • Like 4

On 12/5/2020 at 9:12 AM, 5fouls said:

Big weekend next Saturday at Southport.  Of most interest to us is the last game.  That's Duncomb's team playing the #1 team in Indiana.

Southport, Dec. 12
2:00 pm North Central (Indianapolis) vs. Franklin Central
3:30 pm Gary West vs. Southport
5:00 pm North Harrison vs. Barr-Reeve
6:30 pm Fort Wayne Blackhawk vs. Silver Creek
8:20 pm Cincinnati Moeller (Ohio) vs. Lawrence North

That'll be Duncomb vs. McCulley (our QB commit)... probably a decent chance Donaven guards Logan. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

@5foulswe’re hearing that TK might have hurt his ankle pretty badly and might be out a long time. Have you heard anything?

Schools down here have been on eLearning for a few weeks now, so my son is not getting any hallway gossip.  And, he has not directly reached out to any classmates who may know and asked the question.  Throw in the fact that, with attendance restrictions, I've not attended any of the games, I've not done any significant investigations myself.  

Until late last week, I had been working under the assumption that they were just being cautious and holding him out until we needed him, which would be for both games this weekend.  However, on the Livestream of the game last Friday, he was clearly favoring it walking to and from the locker room.  Then, I got a little more suspicious when there has not been any indication in the local paper about when he may return.  You know the reporters are asking, but the coaching staff must not be willing to share.  Top it off with John Harrel predicting Blackhawk to beat SC by 17 points on Saturday indicates he may know something we don't.

I'm now working under the assumption that he will probably miss the games this weekend (North Harrison and Blackhawk), and that will be significant.  Throw in a game with Jeffersonville next Friday, and a very tough stretch will be even tougher without Kaufman.  

That said, Kooper Jacobi has been a monster so far this year.  His shooting stats are ridiculous.  And, Branden Northern has been playing excellent as well.  SC is capable of beating most teams even without Kaufman, but size, which both North Harrison and Blackhawk have, will be problematic.  

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Schools down here have been on eLearning for a few weeks now, so my son is not getting any hallway gossip.  And, he has not directly reached out to any classmates who may know and asked the question.  Throw in the fact that, with attendance restrictions, I've not attended any of the games, I've not done any significant investigations myself.  

Until late last week, I had been working under the assumption that they were just being cautious and holding him out until we needed him, which would be for both games this weekend.  However, on the Livestream of the game last Friday, he was clearly favoring it walking to and from the locker room.  Then, I got a little more suspicious when there has not been any indication in the local paper about when he may return.  You know the reporters are asking, but the coaching staff must not be willing to share.  Top it off with John Harrel predicting Blackhawk to beat SC by 17 points on Saturday indicates he may know something we don't.

I'm now working under the assumption that he will probably miss the games this weekend (North Harrison and Blackhawk), and that will be significant.  Throw in a game with Jeffersonville next Friday, and a very tough stretch will be even tougher without Kaufman.  

That said, Kooper Jacobi has been a monster so far this year.  His shooting stats are ridiculous.  And, Branden Northern has been playing excellent as well.  SC is capable of beating most teams even without Kaufman, but size, which both North Harrison and Blackhawk have, will be problematic.  

Appreciate the info thanks!

On 12/9/2020 at 1:12 PM, 5fouls said:

I'm guessing, with your observation of him walking differently favoring, it may be reaggravated.  Mom said on FB that he is resting until he is 100%.

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm guessing, with your observation of him walking differently favoring, it may be reaggravated.  Mom said on FB that he is resting until he is 100%.

Really no sense playing him until mid-January art this point.  Jeffersonville could beat them next Friday, but since Trey has not even been practicing, it's unrealistic for him to play that quickly.  After that game, barring something unforseen, the next team that could match up well against them is Bloomington North on January 16th.

• Like 1

LN beat Moeller 58-57 in OT. Duncomb had 13 points with 11 coming in the first half.  LN Syed a zone and had a player in front of Duncomb and one guy behind him. LN also seemed to hold the ball a lot especially at the end of quarters.  Gunn was good but did not do much until OT.  He had 7 of his 14 in OT.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

LN beat Moeller 58-57 in OT. Duncomb had 13 points with 11 coming in the first half.  LN Syed a zone and had a player in front of Duncomb and one guy behind him. LN also seemed to hold the ball a lot especially at the end of quarters.  Gunn was good but did not do much until OT.  He had 7 of his 14 in OT.

If Duncomb draws double teams at IU, I feel good about their chances.  Sounds like LN made some serious halftime adjustments on him.

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

@FKIM01

Did the annual Turkey game get rescheduled?  How will whs do with losing their leading scorer?  

Have to ask my insider as I haven't paid any attention to local HS basketball yet (too busy at work) other than hearing that Barr-Reeve is really, really good this year.  Haven't heard anything about the turkey bowl being rescheduled.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rico said:

Loyer with 30, Goode with 19 as Homestead beats Luers by 40.

I'm really curious to see how Goode does at Illinois.  I'm obviously biased, but I tend to think Kooper Jacobi of Silver Creek is as good as Goode, but Jacobi did not get those high major offers.  Jacobi was averaging over 35 ppg for the first 5 games of the year when Kaufman was out.  He only had 17 last night as Kaufman returned, but when he had to be The Man, he was. 

• Like 1