Monroe incident

rico

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Good news:  Bloomington is being talked about on all the major news networks.

Bad news:  For all the wrong reasons.

Yep.  Heard about it last night.  Very sad.  But I guess I'm not totally surprised.

Edited by jv1972iu

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Good news:  Bloomington is being talked about on all the major news networks.

Bad news:  For all the wrong reasons.

It spread pretty quickly Saturday. I belong to a couple Lake Monroe groups and most knew about it with video on Saturday night. All I'll say is this. I hope whatever justice the FBI, Monroe County or whomever can provide I hope these hillbilly hilljacks get the max. I hope they lose their jobs, trailers or whatever domicile they live in.

Love Bloomington and Lake Monroe with all of my heart. When the 1% casts and perpetuates stereotypes about the area it pisses me off. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It spread pretty quickly Saturday. I belong to a couple Lake Monroe groups and most knew about it with video on Saturday night. All I'll say is this. I hope whatever justice the FBI, Monroe County or whomever can provide I hope these hillbilly hilljacks get the max. I hope they lose their jobs, trailers or whatever domicile they live in.

By Monday all of their workplaces were being circulated around Twitter.

The incident at the rally Monday night of a driver hitting and carrying a couple people wasn't good either.

Throw in the video a couple weeks ago about the guy getting arrested for allegedly standing up to racism at the lake (not the talk on the football board, but the video was later that same day), and it has been a rough couple weeks.

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of people think this story will end being BS.  Booker was reportedly a long time BLM activist and just happened to accidentally stumble onto some private property and then a scene erupts but most of it isn't captured on tape.  Sounds very fishy.  I'd wait for more facts to out before drawing any conclusions. 

• Like 1

I really don't want to excuse bad behavior, but there are a couple of things here that do not make sense to me.

1)  A group was meeting in the Hoosier National FOREST in the middle of the DAY to watch a LUNAR eclipse?  I'm not an astrologist, but none of that makes sense to me.

2)  I never heard the "N" word yelled.  I did hear one of the people holding a camera try to bait one of the red necks into saying it though.

3)  I never heard anyone call for a rope or a noose.

4)  If you truly feared for your life, and were given the chance to escape the circumstances, would you turn back on your way out to confront your attackers again?

5)  The always relevant "What happened before the cameras started rolling"?

I will reserve judgement on this one.  Lots of weirdness here.  Lots of bad behavior.  It brings to mind the phrase "Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I honestly do not know what happened at Monroe. Just stating this guys track record is not good. 

That's fair.  I was coming here to say that we've heard one side of the story thus far.  I'm not surprised there are racist idiots in Indiana, but after Jussie Smollett, I'm content to let this story play out completely before assuming guilt or innocence.

• Like 2

I'm not drawing any conclusions but one thing I noticed in one of the videos, Booker appeared to be calmly waking away beside the woman from the other group with his back to the morons.  I would think after having supposedly been assaulted you wouldn't give up your back and be blind to your assailants.  

If his story turns out to be true, if it was me, I would get better tougher friends. 

I rewatched the videos...

Were Mr Booker and his friends on private property? Reading some of the articles it would seem so, but not sure at this point.

The man pinning Me Booker to a tree will have to face some kind of charge, but I'd really like to know what led up to that. Mr Booker himself said the other group informed his group they were trespassing on private property. Mr Booker said his group reapproached the other group and tried to apologize, and it escalated from there.

I heard one phrase (numerous times) "nappy-headed b****h" that would be considered a racial epithet. I never heard mention of a "noose."

I think framing this as an attempted lynching is going a bit far.

I guess we'll see what law enforcement has to say, but guaranteed there will be unhappy people no matter what conclusion they reach...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I rewatched the videos...

Were Mr Booker and his friends on private property? Reading some of the articles it would seem so, but not sure at this point.

The man pinning Me Booker to a tree will have to face some kind of charge, but I'd really like to know what led up to that. Mr Booker himself said the other group informed his group they were trespassing on private property. Mr Booker said his group reapproached the other group and tried to apologize, and it escalated from there.

I heard one phrase (numerous times) "nappy-headed b****h" that would be considered a racial epithet. I never heard mention of a "noose."

I think framing this as an attempted lynching is going a bit far.

I guess we'll see what law enforcement has to say, but guaranteed there will be unhappy people no matter what conclusion they reach...

Too much missing info to take any type of stand at this time. I did hear that comment as well and there people claiming white power was yelled but after watching the videos the WT lady finds out one of the guys with Booker is a city councilman and yells abuse of power several times. There is always 2 sides to the story and then the truth. Hopefully the truth comes out but no matter what many  people will make up their minds with only part of the facts. 

• Like 1