Monroe incident

rico

11 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

If a crime was committed, in the eyes of the law, it doesn't really matter a ton what the provocation was.  Other lawyers can chime in, but I'm struggling to think of the words or phrases that would make what appeared in the video (if deemed a crime) permissible.

If there were actions that provoked, perhaps that's a different story, but still - the point pretty much holds true.  A crime is a crime.

I would assume that they're going to claim self defense.  That Booker knew he was trespassing, was told to leave, refused, got in their face, took a swing at one of them, etc.  As another poster just said probably a he said she said situation. 

I will stay out of from the deep end in this one....but to me...guy goes looking for trouble...guy finds trouble....dumb meets dumber...I'll let yo u decide who is dumb and who is dumber lol. Seems like a big nothing burger...especially compared to real life cases of people dying in the streets in their cars, in their grandmothers yard...I've got bigger worries than this sort of fair. Just said it paints Indiana in a bad light....and heck could negatively affect recruiting when kids hear about this sort of stuff.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I will stay out of from the deep end in this one....but to me...guy goes looking for trouble...guy finds trouble....dumb meets dumber...I'll let yo u decide who is dumb and who is dumber lol. Seems like a big nothing burger...especially compared to real life cases of people dying in the streets in their cars, in their grandmothers yard...I've got bigger worries than this sort of fair. Just said it paints Indiana in a bad light....and heck could negatively affect recruiting when kids hear about this sort of stuff.

UK seems to recruit just fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

UK seems to recruit just fine.

You really comparing UK and IU recruitments/athletics. I'd say there is little similarity between what happens in the two programs. Heck...UK kids just have to survive for 4 months and then they are on to the NBA...not counting what they get gifted on the side for going there. IU these kids are real student athletes, living, going out to eat, and a member of their community....but that is just my accessment.

That said there are racist idiots everywhere...but I still can't think this is a good look for sending a young black man to Bloomington (especially in this current climate). Then again...MSU has had much worse scandals around their school and it doesn't seem to hurt recruiting...all that stuff happened in Charlottesville and it doesn't seem to hurt Virginia...guess no matter where a young black man looks to go there are going to be elements of negativity. So maybe I'm just making connections that aren't there.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You really comparing UK and IU recruitments/athletics. I'd say there is little similarity between what happens in the two programs. Heck...UK kids just have to survive for 4 months and then they are on to the NBA...not counting what they get gifted on the side for going there. IU these kids are real student athletes, living, going out to eat, and a member of their community....but that is just my accessment.

That said there are racist idiots everywhere...but I still can't think this is a good look for sending a young black man to Bloomington (especially in this current climate). Then again...MSU has had much worse scandals around their school and it doesn't seem to hurt recruiting...all that stuff happened in Charlottesville and it doesn't seem to hurt Virginia...guess no matter where a young black man looks to go there are going to be elements of negativity. So maybe I'm just making connections that aren't there.

Well Alabama is arguably the biggest redneck state there is.  Yet Saban and Pearl have no problem stock piling 5 star talent.  The football players have to stay at least 3 years.

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well Alabama is arguably the biggest redneck state there is.  Yet Saban and Pearl have no problem stock piling 5 star talent.  The football players have to stay at least 3 years.

I lived in Alabama for a number of years. grew up and live in Southern Indiana. Indiana is a lot worse.

11 hours ago, D-BONE said:

Booker's attorney has requested a Grand Jury. What charges are the seeking for indictment - assault and battery? What about hate crime? Federal? So does that even apply? Seems to indicate they think they have strong evidence. 

The "legal beagles" will have to answer your question.  But I do believe a grand jury is convened to see if there is enough evidence to continue with a criminal trial.

On 7/9/2020 at 1:24 PM, dgambill said:

Just said it paints Indiana in a bad light....and heck could negatively affect recruiting when kids hear about this sort of stuff.

Is there anything happening in the world that our fanbase collectively could look at and not think "this could negatively affect recruiting?" Good lord. 

16 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Booker's attorney can request away, but both Booker and the attorney have 0% to do with any criminal charges.  The state (or federal) government will determine if charges are applicable.

Can you explain, at least for me, what is the purpose of calling a grand jury?

11 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Is there anything happening in the world that our fanbase collectively could look at and not think "this could negatively affect recruiting?" Good lord. 

Just saying that IU isn’t the most racially diverse University (although not the worst) and has had more than its share of racial issues. I did go on to state that obviously black students are facing this all over so it’s not just an IU problem and other schools have scandals that don’t hurt them But it is alarming for parents to add to the corona and I could see out of state recruits taking a deep thought. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Can you explain, at least for me, what is the purpose of calling a grand jury?

I'm no legal expert, and I know you didn't address the question to me, but I think it's to avoid the appearance of, pardon the expression, a whitewash...

If the law enforcement officers determine there's not an arrestable offense here, and the  powers that be simply go with the word of the law enforcement officers, there will be a cry of "cover-up!"

If a grand jury determines that there no arrestable offense, then that pretty much puts it to rest...

Although something tells me that still won't placate some people...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Press conference earlier today 

Yep. As expected....couple of different versions of facts. Might be the reason in delay from prosecutors office. Tough case on many, many levels. Public pressure vs can you get a conviction if someone is charged.....wouldn't want to be the prosecutor on this one. Or many like it these days. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Sounds like Booker started taking swings exactly as I speculated.  Classic case of self defense.   

If Booker hit Purdy 3 times like Purdy's attorney says, there had to be marks...

Also, Purdy's lawyer alleged that Purdy had actually given Booker a ride to the property line on his 4 wheeler...if there a pic or evidence of that, the Booker story gets shaky...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If Booker hit Purdy 3 times like Purdy's attorney says, there had to be marks...

Also, Purdy's lawyer alleged that Purdy had actually given Booker a ride to the property line on his 4 wheeler...if there a pic or evidence of that, the Booker story gets shaky...

Time to warm up the polygraph machine...

• Like 1