Big Ten: Conference-Only Schedule

KDB

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Just checked it out.  Very concerning.  Just wish I knew how to link a tweet to HSN.

Go to the tweet, in the upper right corner, click the down arrow thingy, go to embed tweet, copy the link, paste it here, wait a second, and it should pop up. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Go to the tweet, in the upper right corner, click the down arrow thingy, go to embed tweet, copy the link, paste it here, wait a second, and it should pop up. 

Sam Story on Twitter: "Sadly only a few more weeks, I’m told, until the bigger college football announcement. If people want to talk about a huge, personal hobby (English football), please reach out. Until then.... God bless. Stay safe. Wear a mask for others. -SS" / Twitter

Did it.  I guess this is good as it gets for old mile.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

I know we are talking football here but the other rumor i'm hearing is starting basketball early in October in case they need to stop playing in Nov. or just taking off a couple of weeks in Nov.

Then they should do that with football, honestly. 

Feel like its not an awful plan. 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Sark said:

There’s no event insurance for this.

Language of the contract will come into play which is the reason the conference announced and each school didn't. One part of each contract has the phrase impossibility to play portion...fee wouldn't apply. Still doing some homework though.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Start football early. in Aug is what you mean?

Maybe a week or two? 

Heck I honestly don't know. Maybe they could start the same time and plan for a stoppage or two and then less time before bowl games and no true bye week? 

We had two bye weeks last year. I'm sure I'm just looking at this too optimistically, but still. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Maybe a week or two? 

Heck I honestly don't know. Maybe they could start the same time and plan for a stoppage or two and then less time before bowl games and no true bye week? 

We had two bye weeks last year. I'm sure I'm just looking at this too optimistically, but still. 

Hey if i were running it all games would be played and the stands would be full ,But thats me. Sports maybe like this for years or until everyone wants to come out of their basements.

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I heard or read somewhere yesterday evening, I can't remember where, that if all the power fives move to conference only schedules that the ACC has said they would include Notre Dame in their schedule plan.  

ND already had 6 ACC schools on the schedule this season, so yes no issue with adding a couple more.

Without as much football revenue, if any, and with some schools whacking non-revenue sports as a result, it draws attention to the non-revenue sports and the considerable burden they impose.  If it weren’t for Title IX you’d have to wonder if a number of non-revenue sports would be permanently whacked and relegated to the club sport level.  In the economic climate of college education, particularly the crisis surrounding costs for rank and file students, absorbing the costs for scholarships for non-revenue sports functions as charity and is wholly divorced from the reality of economic efficiency.   

But with 80 scholarships for football, the schools have the heavy burden to pick up scholarships for female athletes who do not carry their weight on budgets.  Male athletes in the non-revenue zone are in the same boat.  Whether that’s the best use of the money—when costs of higher education are at scandalous levels—is very questionable.  It’s not rational economic allocation.  You have a very small amount of students absorbing money that could be used more efficiently by the school as a whole.  Imagine management of an entity with fiduciary duties functioning in the real world looking at these numbers!  

While sports budgets function with their own balance sheets, we know IU siphons athletic monies to the university.  If you were able to convert non-revenue sports to the club level, more money could be sent to the university to enhance budgets in an environment when non-athlete students are paying scandalous amounts with parabolic increases over time.  It can show what over-officious activist government action can do in terms of over-regulation and damage to the whole.  Club sports allow the kids to benefit from competition etc, without requiring associated scholarship costs sucking up budget.  

Archived