For all you Cubs fans out there....

milehiiu

55 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You are welcome. It is rather lengthy.  However.  I could not stop watching, till it was over.  Glad you like it.  Amazing players on both teams.

Continue to stay safe.

A great trivia question...

Who was NBC's "Player of the Game" in the "Sandberg Game?"

Willie McGee 😀😀

Just now, IUFLA said:

A great trivia question...

Who was NBC's "Player of the Game" in the "Sandberg Game?"

Willie McGee 😀😀

Yep. Only because the network thought the game would end sooner, and forced the player of the game announcement. 

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yep. Only because the network thought the game would end sooner, and forced the player of the game announcement. 

I said in another thread, 1984 was a great year...My first daughter was born, and the Cubs won the NL East for the first time...

1985 wasn't shabby either...My 2nd daughter was born, and the 85 Bears were, well, the 85 Bears :) 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

For some reason, the Cubs have this aura attributed to them, like they are this privileged organization.

Great that they have had some success. Meh... the romanticized opinion of the Cubs has gotten a bit nauseating to be truthful.

How ‘bout the Padres or Mariners or any other team yet to win a World Series?

Easy...

Not "privileged" as you portray it, just a lot more fans and history, including a 108 year dry spell filled with heartache.

The Cubs have a much longer history. Over 100 years. The Padres (1969) and the Mariners (1977) are relative newcomers.

The Cubs play in a historic icon of a ballpark. Babe's called shot happened there, as did "The Homer in the Gloamin' The Bartman Game etc.. The Kingdome sucked, and Safeco Field isn't anything special. San Diego Stadium sucked, and Petco Field sounds like it should have fire hydrants and chew toys all over the place. It's like comparing Ford Theater in Washington DC to your local AMC.

The Cubs were one of the first teams to take advantage of cable TV, WGN had every Cubs game on in the early 70s through the 80s...before the glut of televised sports we have today. The Cubs fanbase is nation wide because of it. The Braves have a huge fanbase for the same reason, as do the Cardinals because of KMOX radio.

The Cubs play in a much larger market than the Padres or the Mariners. 

So don't hate...

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

For some reason, the Cubs have this aura attributed to them, like they are this privileged organization.

Great that they have had some success. Meh... the romanticized opinion of the Cubs has gotten a bit nauseating to be truthful.

Seems like a weird time to take a shot at the Cubs but I'll play along. When the Cubs were the loveable losers for 100+ years with only a few playoff appearances seemed that most MLB fans and most regional midwest fans didn't have a problem with it.

Now that we've dominated the NL and NL Central  with only the Dodgers as peers for the last 6 seasons people have a problem I guess. 

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You could say the same about the Red Sox...

Very true. I found myself rooting for them in 86...only to see them go down in flames in game 6 and eventually game 7 against the hated Mets (I actually hate the Mets more than the Yankees).

Also rooted for them in 67 (of course)...not so much in 75 because all of my friends were Reds fans and I liked seeing them happy...but if the Red Sox had won, I wouldn't have been crushed 😯

13 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

After thinking about it, I thought the only people that didn't like the Cubs were Cards and White Sox fans.  I guess I am gonna have to add Twins fans to that list!  LOL

1 hour ago, rico said:

After thinking about it, I thought the only people that didn't like the Cubs were Cards and White Sox fans.  I guess I am gonna have to add Twins fans to that list!  LOL

And at least one Reds fan who gets the RA about the Cubs once in a while... :) 

Archived