Ocean, Lake, River, or ......

18 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Your post reminded me of a fond memory from my childhood.  My grandfather from my mother's side built a house on a large plot of land in Crown Point, Indiana. Built it with his own hands. Brick by brick.  And chose the land, because it had a lake on it. Had to walk a quarter of a mile to get to the lake. And was a shallow lake... so had to restock it with fish every spring.

So.... he got tired of that.  Then had a deep lake built just off of his back patio.  Could fish off his back patio. And did not need to restock in the spring... as it was so deep... the fish did not die over winter.

Sorry... if I am boring you all with this memory.  But... it is special to me.

Memories like that aren't boring.  Memories like that keep you alive.  We all have them...I hope.  I know that I do.  Thanks, Mile.   😊

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

5b31761100fa9.image.jpg?resize=1200,900

Growing up.  Used to fish off the Michigan City, Indiana pier.

Lake Michigan for me too as I lived within walking distance to it growing up. I do love the outer banks in NC too as well as the Jamaican beaches. On a side note...this lighthouse is where I became engaged.

57 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Lake Michigan for me too as I lived within walking distance to it growing up. I do love the outer banks in NC too as well as the Jamaican beaches. On a side note...this lighthouse is where I became engaged.

Neat.  Means we both have fond memories of that pier.  Actually fished on the other side of the pier in this picture.  It was steep to get down.  And they had iron bars/steps to get down to where you could fish.  Fishing back then was always better there.  But it was a pain getting down and up with equipment.  So my dad would get down first. And I would get on my knees and hand him the fishing equipment.  Reverse the procedure on the way back up. 

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Neat.  Means we both have fond memories of that pier.  Actually fished on the other side of the pier in this picture.  It was steep to get down.  And they had iron bars/steps to get down to where you could fish.  Fishing back then was always better there.  But it was a pain getting down and up with equipment.  So my dad would get down first. And I would get on my knees and hand him the fishing equipment.  Reverse the procedure on the way back up. 

My brother fished off this pier countless times. I went a few times with him, but he was the fisherman in the family. He caught numerous steelhead and perch from that pier. I have walked to the lighthouse probably well over a hundred times in my life.

11 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

My brother fished off this pier countless times. I went a few times with him, but he was the fisherman in the family. He caught numerous steelhead and perch from that pier. I have walked to the lighthouse probably well over a hundred times in my life.

Don't know if you agree with me. In my case, walking that pier was never the same.  In that it depended upon the time of day, the season,  and the weather.  But always a fun thing to do.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Don't know if you agree with me. In my case, walking that pier was never the same.  In that it depended upon the time of day, the season,  and the weather.  But always a fun thing to do.

Definitely. We also used to drive and park in the nearby lot and watch the lightning storms after dark numerous times. It was quite the site.

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Where did you live you could walk to the lake? The property I grew up on is now part of the National Park 

Would ride my bike to work at the State Park during high school summers and then sometimes again when I worked for the National Park summers in college!

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Where did you live you could walk to the lake? The property I grew up on is now part of the National Park 

Would ride my bike to work at the State Park during high school summers and then sometimes again when I worked for the National Park summers in college!

I lived near Mullen School (Michigan City). It was probably about a mile (ish) a way. Did you live in the Dunes area?

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Growing up my dad, mom and stepmom worked for companies that would rent Holiday World for a day for company picnics.  So I got to go 3 times a year with no lines. Miss those days. 

That's legit. If you can go M-Th there's essentially no lines. Pretty awesome what you mentioned though, especially as a kid.  

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

In general, I love the water. Thankful my parents had my sister and I in swim lessons at a young age. 

Never understood not having your children in swim lessons/spending time to help them swim. 🤷‍♂️

Agreed. I too had lessons as a child. Didn't like them. Not a great swimmer today but can at least get by. 

I spend most of my leisure time on Stafford and McPherson Lakes here just SE of Warsaw.  I also get to Winona, Pike, Silver, Carr, Tippecanoe, Wawasee, and the Barbee Chain here in Kosciusko County.  I also venture to Big, Loon, High, and Sylvan Lakes in Noble County.

17 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Growing up my dad, mom and stepmom worked for companies that would rent Holiday World for a day for company picnics.  So I got to go 3 times a year with no lines. Miss those days. 

Used to go back when it was Santa Claus Land.

Archived