Indiana Day

11 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

It’s too late now as most are in bed but I just got done watching IU vs. Butler 2018 on BTN.... apparently it was Indiana Day on BTN... I can’t believe this wasn’t brought up already.... y’all are slacking LOL

It had the 89 game at home against UM where Jay Edwards hits the 3 at the buzzer to win.

16 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

It’s too late now as most are in bed but I just got done watching IU vs. Butler 2018 on BTN.... apparently it was Indiana Day on BTN... I can’t believe this wasn’t brought up already.... y’all are slacking LOL

Someone should sticky this thread or something like it and then someone can update it with the next date when they see it coming up. Always a day late and dollar short.

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Someone should sticky this thread or something like it and then someone can update it with the next date when they see it coming up. Always a day late and dollar short.

That’s why I was shocked that I got on at 11 pm central time and it wasn’t a thread already discussing it... usually this board is on it

23 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It had the 89 game at home against UM where Jay Edwards hits the 3 at the buzzer to win.

I watched some of that game. One thing I noticed, and that have you commented on in the past, is that Knight played all 5 starters for the first 10 minutes of the half. Knight had a “you get hooked if you make a mistake” reputation but guys were making bad passes, committing turnovers etc but remained in the game (although I’m sure they felt the “death stare” from the sideline..lol) I don’t understand why so many coaches today feel the need to start subbing 4-5 minutes into games.

Also.....I’m still not sure Edwards shot should have counted as the buzzer seemed late. 
Also, Also.....I had kind of forgotten how good Hillman was.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

I watched some of that game. One thing I noticed, and that have you commented on in the past, is that Knight played all 5 starters for the first 10 minutes of the half. Knight had a “you get hooked if you make a mistake” reputation but guys were making bad passes, committing turnovers etc but remained in the game (although I’m sure they felt the “death stare” from the sideline..lol) I don’t understand why so many coaches today feel the need to start subbing 4-5 minutes into games.

Also.....I’m still not sure Edwards shot should have counted as the buzzer seemed late. 
Also, Also.....I had kind of forgotten how good Hillman was.

The thing is back then the did not have the tenth of a second on the clock so they had to go by when the buzzer went off.  On the telecast it showed that the shot was off before the horn went off.  As for how coaches sub today I noticed watching IU games under Crean.  Like two games I noticed once he subbed in a half that he never had the full starting 5 on the floor again.  He always had at least one sub in the game for the rest of the half.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is back then the did not have the tenth of a second on the clock so they had to go by when the buzzer went off.  On the telecast it showed that the shot was off before the horn went off.  As for how coaches sub today I noticed watching IU games under Crean.  Like two games I noticed once he subbed in a half that he never had the full starting 5 on the floor again.  He always had at least one sub in the game for the rest of the half.

Yes, at the end of the game they mentioned that the buzzer determined when the game was over but my point is that while the buzzer went off after the shot at IU it probably would have sounded before the shot if the game had been played in Ann Arbor. I think the buzzer was late but will take the W.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Every once in a while a guy would hit three shots in a row which invariably meant Crean sending him to the bench. That’s one of the things I never, and never will, understood.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

Every once in a while a guy would hit three shots in a row which invariably meant Crean sending him to the bench. That’s one of the things I never, and never will, understood.

I never understood his subbing patterns either and it was so scattered brain.  I have been watching the 92 tournament games and that year we only had 10 players dressed.  RMK only played 8 players in those games and he just did not sub when he thought it was time to sub.

Today is Minnesota day but right now it could be Indiana day as well because right now they are showing our game against Minnesota from 1997.  later they are showing another game between IU and Minnesota from 2013.  Watching the 97 game and seeing who started for us in the front court made me think of this year when we did not start a normal 3 man.  In this game our front court was Andrea Paterson, Harris Majunivich(sp)? and Jason Collier.

Well did not remember the ending to this IU/Minnesota game but IU was up 77-70 with 55 seconds to go but blew it and went to OT.  What was bad was that we hit our free throws down the stretch(6-6) but had one turnover but they hit 4 3's.Ended up losing 96-91 in OT

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

After that game they had a half hour special about the Hoffarber shot against us in the BTT

LOL...of course.

You've got more stamina than I do.  After the first ten minutes of that, I would have been gouging my eyes out with an ice pick.

Can't blame them though...that's got to be must-see TV in Minnesota.

35 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...of course.

You've got more stamina than I do.  After the first ten minutes of that, I would have been gouging my eyes out with an ice pick.

Can't blame them though...that's got to be must-see TV in Minnesota.

I did not watch it

Archived