DD is ripping Archie and IU basketball

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you already know. However for those that don't. Had an uncle who was Dan's Godfather. So I knew a lot about Dan even before he got to IU. Always pulled for Dan at Andrean.  Dan's dad was the principle at Calumet High School.... just out side of Gary. Some considered Calumet to be a Gary school.  But it wasn't, as it was just outside of the city limits.

So.... when IU was going to the NC game in New Orleans in '87... my uncle hopped on a plane from O'hare.  Got there with no ticket in hand.  Met with Dan's parents, for dinner, the night before the game.  And along comes Digger Phelps.  Stops by the table to speak to Dan's parents.  Gets introduced to my uncle. And finds out that my uncle does not have a ticket to the game.  Digger tells them all to stay put, and he will be back.  Comes back with a ticket for my uncle.

Now... I always praised Dan for turning down the West Virginia job, when he found out that they were cheating.  However, I have come to think... rather than walking away from the West Virginia job... he should have stayed to clean up the program himself.

By the way.... when I used to call into Dan's show. Years back.  He hung up on me too !

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

It's all part of the gig. There is a reason why his numbers are so strong and his audience continues to grow. DD on the radio is no different than an actor playing a character on TV. All attention and publicity is good when it comes to talk radio. Just look at the fact that we have several threads discussing him. Its all part of it. Off air he is much different but if that was his routine on air he would be unemployed. the Homer routine only goes so far and alienates more than it brings in. 

He's in the Jim Rome genre. A guy who's career should have ended when he kept calling Jim Everett, "Chris Everett" until Everett tossed him to the floor. Instead, he's managed to have a syndicated radio show and for some reason gets gigs on NFL pre-game shows.

Double D didn't realize IU saved Crean out of misery. I'm not saying we should be satisfied with what Archie has done. He could've done better. But at the same time, it was clear Crean's era at IU was over when he was let go. It's important what Crean had done up to that point, but it's way more important where the program was heading to. Crean lost the state of Indiana in recruiting. Kids like Romeo, Trayce, and Khristian wouldn't have come to IU if Crean was still our coach. I don't think we even had a chance to land Armaan, Rob, and Damezi (even though he left). Crean brought in Grant Gelon in his final year. I guess Archie hasn't taking DD's calls lately?

16 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Double D didn't realize IU saved Crean out of misery. I'm not saying we should be satisfied with what Archie has done. He could've done better. But at the same time, it was clear Crean's era at IU was over when he was let go. It's important what Crean had done up to that point, but it's way more important where the program was heading to. Crean lost the state of Indiana in recruiting. Kids like Romeo, Trayce, and Khristian wouldn't have come to IU if Crean was still our coach. I don't think we even had a chance to land Armaan, Rob, and Damezi (even though he left). Crean brought in Grant Gelon in his final year. I guess Archie hasn't taking DD's calls lately?

Coach Crean was the right man for the right time, after Sampsongate.  Actually enjoyed watching games during his first three years. Knowing he had next to nothing to work with. Also think Mr. Glass gave Coach Crean an ample amount of time. But think the task at hand eventually wore Coach Crean down.  Alienating Indiana high school coaches did not help matters. Eventually Coach Crean's time had come and gone.  Still.... have yet to hear a bitter word out of Coach Crean's mouth about his time at IU.  Much to his credit.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Coach Crean was the right man for the right time, after Sampsongate.  Actually enjoyed watching games during his first three years. Knowing he had next to nothing to work with. Also think Mr. Glass gave Coach Crean an ample amount of time. But think the task at hand eventually wore Coach Crean down.  Alienating Indiana high school coaches did not help matters. Eventually Coach Crean's time had come and gone.  Still.... have yet to hear a bitter word out of Coach Crean's mouth about his time at IU.  Much to his credit.

Can't agree with you more. He endured one of the biggest challenges (if not the biggest) in college sports to rebuild a historic program. The amount of positive energy he gave to the program and the fanbase was almost second to none. I admire him for that. Unfortunately, everything comes with a price, and he was slowly but surely burnt out somewhere in the middle of his tenure at IU. In his last 2 seasons or so at IU, I suspected he was having sort of anxiety attack due to the tremendous amount of pressure. In the end, that's the beauty and the danger of taking a blueblood job; you win big, very big or you go home. There is no middle ground. Hopefully he's found his peace at UGA; I still think he's the perfect man for the job.   

Crean did a good job turning around the program and I wish him the best at UGA. Very happy to have Archie as IU coach and hope he keeps improving the program. 

Purdue, Illinois, and Duke have Hummel, Bardo, and Bilas representing their schools with top notch class. Unfortunately, IU has DD. Another stain on the program. 

48 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

....  Alienating Indiana high school coaches did not help matters. ...

This was central to me personally on being ready for CTC to move on.

Both irrationally (it is cool when there are plenty of Indiana players on the IU roster) and rationally (it does not make sense to not be able to recruit a large population of exceptional basketball talent that should be inclined to join IU), I feel we (IU) should have an immensely close symbiotic relationship with Indiana high school basketball. I want both to be the best in the country!

Additionally, I prefer CAM's no-nonsense style... and it did not help that CTC could not break a zone with multiple shooters on the roster...

Hey Dan. Archie still has a full head of hair.  Can not say the same for you.  So quit talking about his size.  He was twice the player you ever were.  Never heard his coach tell him NOT to take a shot.... like Coach Knight told you.

9 hours ago, Chad B said:

Crean did a good job turning around the program and I wish him the best at UGA. Very happy to have Archie as IU coach and hope he keeps improving the program. 

Purdue, Illinois, and Duke have Hummel, Bardo, and Bilas representing their schools with top notch class. Unfortunately, IU has DD. Another stain on the program. 

For my money Sage Steele and Mark Cuban do a pretty good representing IU. Guess it just depends. Bardo doesn't even know his own schools roster. Hummel is a quality guy but Purdue doesn't have any national juice...purely regional. Bilas is great but he's gone over the edge in becoming another ESPN guy.....not a Duke guy.

Agree Sage is all class and Cuban is incredibly financially successful. I still think IU is represented to college basketball fans by DD. Not sure non-IU fans know Sage and Cuban are IU alumni. Hopefully Oladipo, Zeller, Chaney, etc. will get a chance to represent IU fans proudly on the tv stage. 

On 7/30/2020 at 9:55 AM, Sark said:

When you saw them play, what stood out to you about their games and teams? Same for when they were / are coaching.

That DD is a complete and utter idiot and CAM is at minimum an above average coach and a H***  of recruiter. 

14 hours ago, Chad B said:

Agree Sage is all class and Cuban is incredibly financially successful. I still think IU is represented to college basketball fans by DD. Not sure non-IU fans know Sage and Cuban are IU alumni. Hopefully Oladipo, Zeller, Chaney, etc. will get a chance to represent IU fans proudly on the tv stage. 

I dont think outside of Indiana, and definitely outside of the Midwest have much of a clue where DD went to school.  

His listeners.. I'll agree, most do. He's old. 35 years and younger crowd wouldn't know much about him at all. 

Regardless of that... what other "stains" am I missing? 

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I dont think outside of Indiana, and definitely outside of the Midwest have much of a clue where DD went to school.  

His listeners.. I'll agree, most do. He's old. 35 years and younger crowd wouldn't know much about him at all. 

Regardless of that... what other "stains" am I missing? 

There is an old man named Dan.

Going bald. And who young people cannot relate to.

Played bb for IU. But who knew or cared ?

Drew the assignment of guarding Michael Jordan.  And was told not to shoot.

So. What did he do?  He threw up instead !

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

There is an old man named Dan.

Going bald. And who young people cannot relate to.

Played bb for IU. But who knew or cared ?

Drew the assignment of guarding Michael Jordan.  And was told not to shoot.

So. What did he do?  He threw up instead !

I am not too proud to admit that I threw up a lot before most big games as a player and even as a coach every once in a while.  Nothing compared to the day my baseball coach told me my freshman year that I was pitching the next inning knowing tfat Ken Griffey jr was leading off.

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am not too proud to admit that I threw up a lot before most big games as a player and even as a coach every once in a while.  Nothing compared to the day my baseball coach told me my freshman year that I was pitching the next inning knowing tfat Ken Griffey jr was leading off.

Strike out on three straight pitches after that right?

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes of course. Opposite field HR 1st pitch. Gave up about 6 or so without getting an out.  The first and only player I was flat out intimidated by

Reminds me of Jeff Torborg's line to Jim Kern when he came out to get him after a rough outing, to which Kern said, "Hey Jeff, I'm not tired."

"I know Jim, but the outfielders are."  😁

I had some of those...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Reminds me of Jeff Torborg's line to Jim Kern when he came out to get him after a rough outing, to which Kern said, "Hey Jeff, I'm not tired."

"I know Jim, but the outfielders are."  😁

I had some of those...

Outfielders were not tired on a couple batters they didnt even have to more just turn and watch in wonder

48 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Started as a SO on defense. 

Ate lunch at school the day of the first game, threw up in my face mask the during warm-ups. Smelled it the rest of the night... never ate again on game day. Drank about 10 gatorades lol

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Started as a SO on defense. 

Ate lunch at school the day of the first game, threw up in my face mask the during warm-ups. Smelled it the rest of the night... never ate again on game day. Drank about 10 gatorades lol

My starting guard at south Decatur puked before and half time every single game 

Archived