From our old home. 247 ranks the top college FB coaches

milehiiu

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

At least get your facts straight when you are trying to downgrade the basketball team.  We beat them in 2018 and the game at IU last year was 60-56.  I would also bet other fan bases don't worry about start time of a game like this fan base does.  Why should the start time influence whether or not you go to the game.  I don't see the time or temperature interfering with tailgating so why should it influence staying in the game.  IU has the best weather of any other big ten team so that should not be a factor.

I would still stand by my thing about basketball comparison when it comes to attendance.  If we had a big enough arena I would think the basketball team could have a better attendance.  I know you are more of a football fan than basketball but it is true that in this state and this university basketball will always be king.

Literally said at Wisconsin and you took the lame shot at the football team first. I coach basketball too, I completely understand how important basketball is? We seat 17,000 and didnt fill it all that much last year and you think more seats would be a good thing? Idk what you're even arguing anymore. 

Again... I didnt expect to see the returns in attendance until this year... not a huge increase, but an increase. One 8pm freezing balls game against an awful opponent changes that zero. 

You dont thjnk the time and temp changes the tailgating? What in the world? Have you EVER been to Bloomington in the fall? 

OSU, UM, MSU, Neb, PSU.. if those games are solid weather, especially a 330 start they're solid crowds and huge tailgating crowds. Now... you throw in poor weather and an 8pm start or a noon start... the crowds decrease dramatically. I really dont care if "you don't see it interferring" I've had season tickets for 22 years... its literally fact, as in you can't argue against it. 

I went to VT vs ND last year.. guess what it snowed. It wasn't anywhere CLOSE to capacity. Not.even.close. We're the only school that worries about weather and start? Spare me. Wrong. 

Now... you're right the team needs to win more consistently and the crowds will be more consistent, we all know that. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Did you bother to read my post? Literally said at Wisconsin. I coach basketball too, I completely understand how important basketball is? We seat 17,000 and didnt fill it all that much last year and you think more seats would be a good thing? Idk what you're even arguing anymore. 

Again... I didnt expect to see the returns in attendance until this year... not a huge increase, but an increase. One 8pm freezing balls game against an awful opponent changes that zero. 

You dont thjnk the time and temp changes the tailgating? What in the world? Have you EVER been to Bloomington in the fall? 

OSU, UM, MSU, Neb, PSU.. if those games are solid weather, especially a 330 start they're solid crowds and huge tailgating crowds. Now... you throw in poor weather and an 8pm start or a noon start... the crowds decrease dramatically. I really dont care if "you don't see it interferring" I've had season tickets for 22 years... its literally fact, as in you can't argue against it. 

I went to VT vs ND last year.. guess what it snowed. It wasn't anywhere CLOSE to capacity. Not.even.close. We're the only school that worries about weather and start? Spare me. Wrong. 

Now... you're right the team needs to win more consistently and the crowds will be more consistent, we all know that. 

Well if you look at percentage of capacity our basketball team still had 88% capacity.  The football team had a 78% capacity.  To me where it really hurts football is when you bring in a big group of recruits and they see the stadium half full at half.  Then those kids go to a MSU or Iowa and in the same conditions you still see the stadium mainly full.  It is always the conundrum do programs gets better when you get better players. to get the better players you need to have great fan support.  It is hard to get great fan support if you don't win but you don't win without great players.

I would just say if both programs would have really good teams and had a stadium like Syracuse where both sports used it.  For basketball it is set up for like 30,000 and football around 60,000 who do you think we get the better percentage of capacity.  When basketball is good there is a big demand for tickets,  I would think they would regularly get at least 25,000.  

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if you look at percentage of capacity our basketball team still had 88% capacity.  The football team had a 78% capacity.  To me where it really hurts football is when you bring in a big group of recruits and they see the stadium half full at half.  Then those kids go to a MSU or Iowa and in the same conditions you still see the stadium mainly full.  It is always the conundrum do programs gets better when you get better players. to get the better players you need to have great fan support.  It is hard to get great fan support if you don't win but you don't win without great players.

I would just say if both programs would have really good teams and had a stadium like Syracuse where both sports used it.  For basketball it is set up for like 30,000 and football around 60,000 who do you think we get the better percentage of capacity.  When basketball is good there is a big demand for tickets,  I would think they would regularly get at least 25,000.  

Again.. what are you arguing? 

Again.. what are you arguing? 

your comment about how basketball attendance is down because of their poor play.  IU basketball was ranked 11th in the country in attendance and don't see where the drop off is.

We seat 17,000 and didnt fill it all that much last year and you think more seats would be a good thing? Idk what you're even arguing anymore.  This was your comment

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

your comment about how basketball attendance is down because of their poor play.  IU basketball was ranked 11th in the country in attendance and don't see where the drop off is.

We seat 17,000 and didnt fill it all that much last year and you think more seats would be a good thing? Idk what you're even arguing anymore.  This was your comment

Paid seats are way different then actual attendance. If you don't see that basketball attendance was down idk what to tell you.  We sure as shit didn't have 17000 at games. 

But I still don't know what you're arguing

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Paid seats are way different then actual attendance. If you don't see that basketball attendance was down idk what to tell you.  We sure as shit didn't have 17000 at games. 

Averaged 15,202 counting the games against no name teams who nobody wants to watch.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Averaged 15,202 counting the games against no name teams who nobody wants to watch.

If you watched the games, it was pretty easy to see empty seats. Plenty of them. 

I dont expect that to continue and believe this season would be well attended, I'm pretty sure they even brought up empty seats. I was at OSU vs IU two years ago... noon start on a Sunday and there was basically no one in the balcony.... 🤷‍♂️

If you watched the games, it was pretty easy to see empty seats. Plenty of them. 

I dont expect that to continue and believe this season would be well attended, I'm pretty sure they even brought up empty seats. I was at OSU vs IU two years ago... noon start on a Sunday and there was basically no one in the balcony.... 🤷‍♂️

I know it is not popular but I think the best thing they could have done was build a new arena.  Like I said in another thread that now more students are not from this area they don't have the rooting interest for IU sports.  With them not having that much interest these kids won't sit in the balcony where it is hard to see the game.  They can just stay home and watch the game on a big screen and have your own refreshments.  Back in the day when a lot of the students were born and raised on IU basketball they would sit anywhere just to get into Assembly Hall.  I think if the arena had better sight lines you would see better attendance.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know it is not popular but I think the best thing they could have done was build a new arena.  Like I said in another thread that now more students are not from this area they don't have the rooting interest for IU sports.  With them not having that much interest these kids won't sit in the balcony where it is hard to see the game.  They can just stay home and watch the game on a big screen and have your own refreshments.  Back in the day when a lot of the students were born and raised on IU basketball they would sit anywhere just to get into Assembly Hall.  I think if the arena had better sight lines you would see better attendance.

You're blaming it on the students?

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Tom Allen. Good coach, great dude. 41st is fair. 

Not worried about the attendance, I do believe it was going to be better this coming year.

Agree about Coach Allen.  All for one.

Never missed a home game as a student.  I blame the out of state students for the poor FB attendance. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Agree about Coach Allen.  All for one.

Never missed a home game as a student.  I blame the out of state students for the poor FB attendance. 

Shew. Boys... the student attendance is not the problem.Basketball really isn't an issue at all, I just wanted to point out it wasn't "perfect" last year or once we struggled the year prior. 

The only part I'm really bothered by is how often they leave at halftime. Beginning of games, there is regularly A LOT of students there. 

We really needed this season for morale. 

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You're blaming it on the students?

Partly because they get to the game late so early on it makes the arena looks small.  I would say if alumni or just the regular fans would get more tickets you would see bigger crowds.  I think college sports are for the students but if they are not interested in showing up then give those tickets to others you want to come.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Partly because they get to the game late so early on it makes the arena looks small.  I would say if alumni or just the regular fans would get more tickets you would see bigger crowds.  I think college sports are for the students but if they are not interested in showing up then give those tickets to others you want to come.

Do we have data to show this? 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Btqb.....you seem a Skoch “chippy” today....🤔😂

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I struggle, often. First two days of school went well though... thats a positive!

Yep 1st two days of school did go better than expected. My students were awesome even though they had to wear a mask the entire period...I had to look at their photos on Skyward to see what they looked like...🤔😷😕

9 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Yep 1st two days of school did go better than expected. My students were awesome even though they had to wear a mask the entire period...I had to look at their photos on Skyward to see what they looked like...🤔😷😕

🤣🤣 it was really good to see them ... and you 😁

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Do we have data to show this? 

No but there are a lot of guys like me who can't afford season tickets but would love to go to a couple of games a year in AH.  It seems like most games they show that one main student section and it is over half empty at tip time.

Archived