Justin Taylor 2022 Commits to Syracuse

57 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

It's almost july . We have one commit in the class from the previous staff. 

We've seen this movie before.

Only two teams in the Big Ten have more than one 2022 commitment. UK has one commit and Duke has zero players committed. Baylor only has one commitment. Some of the highest ranked guys on our list have yet to visit campus. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Sea Turtle said:

You do know there is this thing called Covid where kids couldn’t visit campus and on top of that it’s literally a New staff. So what you expect kids to not a pick a team who was courting them for years and all of a sudden just pick IU because of Mike Woodson. The transfer portal worked because it was an even playing field and 2023 it’s an even playing field because those recruits are just now being recruited I fully expect for us to be out on any recruits from 2022 that are committing right now. The ones that aren’t committing until spring of next year you MAYBE have an argument. We aren’t going after low hanging fruit and if we were of course we would win the recruiting battle but we are gonna lose WAY more than we win on recruits because Coach Wood is trying to bring this school back to its glory days PERIOD. Go eat some chicken wings and enjoy life.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Never an option. Interesting. Thanks for the breaking news Rabby. 

1EB9231E-F140-46A2-A4CD-011EB156ADB7.jpeg

I know if I was highly ranked recruit I'd waste an official visit on a school I'm not interested in located in Indiana over other schools I'm not interested in located in places like Florida. It seriously makes no sense to say that IU was "never an option" even though he visited. They may have been far behind the favorite and he'll probably go elsewhere but I can't see anyone wanting to visit Bloomington, IN so bad that they fake interest just to get an official visit.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I know if I was highly ranked recruit I'd waste an official visit on a school I'm not interested in located in Indiana over other schools I'm not interested in located in places like Florida. It seriously makes no sense to say that IU was "never an option" even though he visited. They may have been far behind the favorite and he'll probably go elsewhere but I can't see anyone wanting to visit Bloomington, IN so bad that they fake interest just to get an official visit.

I mean if I’m a kid I’m faking an official visit to Hawaii 🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kid can flat out go, watching his video's. Interview,he said SU 1st than IU on who was recruiting him hardest. Kids picking early before we play a game i dont think we stand much of a shot at. Which doesnt bother me, we have a whole new staff. We'll be fine in the end. This kid may shock the world and pick IU, wait and see.

It's not surprising in the sense of how much appeared to be telegraphed the past few days, but on a personal level it doesn't make much sense to me.  All of our opinions are subjective on the relative advantages of different schools and for me I'd rank Syracuse in a tie with VT at the bottom of the list.

Academically Syracuse is a decent school, with a somewhat noteworthy basketball tradition.  There is reasonable consistency in their program but there is also nothing to get all that excited about, especially in recent years.  I know it feels hypocritical as an IU fan to comment on the lack of recent relevancy of another school, but oh well I don't care.  The truth is the last time Syracuse made any noise on the national stage was 8 years ago in the 2013-2014 season.   Since then they've missed the tournament 3 times in 7 years and been seeded 10, 11, 8, and 11 in years they made it in.  Yes, they happened to reach the Sweet 16 3 times but nothing more.  That last sentence encapsulates pretty much everything appealing about their program.  They managed to win more than 1 game in the tournament a few times.

Please tell me 2 wins vs. 1 win in the tournament isn't the in a vacuum deciding factor for the overall merit of a program.

It's too early to say if Taylor has an NBA future, but like an overwhelming number of players I'd guess no.  NC, UVA, and IU are all superior to Syracuse from an academic standpoint and arguably offer a bigger basketball stage (certainly no less).  In the case of UVA it's many tiers ahead academically and in the case of NC it's many tiers ahead in terms of national exposure.   In IU you've got a better academic school, a bigger national basketball presence, and current buzz/momentum exceeding just about every other school in the country.

It just leaves me scratching my head.  As adults we have the benefit of life experience so it's a bit silly to try and place ourselves inside a kids head.  Still, I'm left wondering what the heck he could have seen or perceived that led him to think Syracuse is a better option for both his short term development and long term prospects.

9 hours ago, olsontex said:

It's not surprising in the sense of how much appeared to be telegraphed the past few days, but on a personal level it doesn't make much sense to me.  All of our opinions are subjective on the relative advantages of different schools and for me I'd rank Syracuse in a tie with VT at the bottom of the list.

Academically Syracuse is a decent school, with a somewhat noteworthy basketball tradition.  There is reasonable consistency in their program but there is also nothing to get all that excited about, especially in recent years.  I know it feels hypocritical as an IU fan to comment on the lack of recent relevancy of another school, but oh well I don't care.  The truth is the last time Syracuse made any noise on the national stage was 8 years ago in the 2013-2014 season.   Since then they've missed the tournament 3 times in 7 years and been seeded 10, 11, 8, and 11 in years they made it in.  Yes, they happened to reach the Sweet 16 3 times but nothing more.  That last sentence encapsulates pretty much everything appealing about their program.  They managed to win more than 1 game in the tournament a few times.

Please tell me 2 wins vs. 1 win in the tournament isn't the in a vacuum deciding factor for the overall merit of a program.

It's too early to say if Taylor has an NBA future, but like an overwhelming number of players I'd guess no.  NC, UVA, and IU are all superior to Syracuse from an academic standpoint and arguably offer a bigger basketball stage (certainly no less).  In the case of UVA it's many tiers ahead academically and in the case of NC it's many tiers ahead in terms of national exposure.   In IU you've got a better academic school, a bigger national basketball presence, and current buzz/momentum exceeding just about every other school in the country.

It just leaves me scratching my head.  As adults we have the benefit of life experience so it's a bit silly to try and place ourselves inside a kids head.  Still, I'm left wondering what the heck he could have seen or perceived that led him to think Syracuse is a better option for both his short term development and long term prospects.

The last time IU made the NCAA Tournament Syracuse made the final 4. Not sure we can look down on their program right now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, olsontex said:

NC, UVA, and IU are all superior to Syracuse from an academic standpoint and arguably offer a bigger basketball stage (certainly no less).  In the case of UVA it's many tiers ahead academically and in the case of NC it's many tiers ahead in terms of national exposure.   In IU you've got a better academic school, a bigger national basketball presence, and current buzz/momentum exceeding just about every other school in the country.

IU isn't superior academically and in fact is behind Syracuse in the US News college rankings. I love Indiana, but there are other great schools each with compelling selling points to basketball recruits. In reading the Syracuse message boards the Orange pitched Taylor on taking Buddy Boeheims spot in the offense. Buddy personally recruited Taylor. That's why he also turned down UNC and Virginia who are much closer to home and as you stated are indeed better colleges academically. As the above poster mentioned IU is in no position to look down on Syracuse. I have total confidence this coaching staff will be formidable recruiters. We will miss more than we get. On to the next one.   

On 6/24/2021 at 9:17 PM, Sea Turtle said:

I think we need to be compassionate to the Sea Turtles in our fan base.  After Archie- they're inclined to believe that the only way to field an NCAA tournament team is to have a roster of 5 Star recruits.   They see that we had a team of two five star recruits and a slew of other 4 star recruits and assume we just weren't talented enough since we went a putrid 7-13 in conference.  They think..."If we landed Keion Brooks, and maybe Dawson Garcia, then maybe we could have gone 10-10."

If you judge recruiting by rankings, our recruiting under Archie was basically on par with the Conference's  best.  The only school with players clearly more highly evaluated than us is Michigan St, who wasn't even that good.  Michigan, Ohio St, and Illinois...about the same as us.  Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Rutgers, they were far better than us last year with recruits rated worse than ours.  

In other words, an incoming class with Kaleb Banks, Cj Gunn, a 3 star guy, and a transfer should be enough to put us among the best 5 teams in the Big 10.  I hope we get more talent, and think we can, but the success of the program is gonna hinge a lot more on the coaching than the recruiting stars.  Last year's results were not because we simply can't land top-quality talent to Bloomington, they were a result of being one of the most underachieving and poorly coached teams in the nation.  

Edited by Blazin Hazin
  • Like 1

• KDB changed the title to Justin Taylor 2022 Commits to Syracuse