2022 CG Jalen Hood-Schifino Commits to INDIANA!!

Vincent14

Only surprise is Kansas being eliminated, but that could be all the sanction smoke around the program.  Memphis is a little bit of a surprise.  I watched a couple of games last season and they looked uninspired...didn't shoot well and the offense wasn't crisp at all.  I think Penny is well past the honeymoon there.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Only surprise is Kansas being eliminated, but that could be all the sanction smoke around the program.  Memphis is a little bit of a surprise.  I watched a couple of games last season and they looked uninspired...didn't shoot well and the offense wasn't crisp at all.  I think Penny is well past the honeymoon there.

Were you describing the offense at Memphis or Indiana last year?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Milehi Fan said:

Were you describing the offense at Memphis or Indiana last year?

Well Memphis, but I expect IU's offense to be considerably different given the coaching change.  Unfortunately, Memphis is still stuck with a former NBA player pretending to be a basketball coach.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Well Memphis, but I expect IU's offense to be considerably different given the coaching change.  Unfortunately, Memphis is still stuck with a former NBA player pretending to be a basketball coach.

Good post, Penny is one example of a former NBA player recruiting well but being underwhelming at coaching. Now Juwan is the opposite, although i think a lot of his success is because of his staff. I get a laugh out of Wolverines fans because they think he will be there forever, but i will bet anyone anything that in a couple of years he will be coaching the Pistons or some other team.

Edited by Hoosier51

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That's my fear but at least he'll be gone before JHS sees the court. Penny hitting the recruiting hard.

Penny hitting the recruiting hard isn't something i would worry about, he is as medicore as it gets when it comes to coaching. Penny needs to get an NBA job so when he flames out in somewhere like Orlando he can keep bouncing around the league.

Edited by Hoosier51

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Good post, Penny is one example of a former NBA player recruiting well but being underwhelming at coaching. Now Juwan is the opposite, although i think a lot of his success is because of his staff. I get a laugh out of Wolverines fans because they think he will be there forever, but i will bet anyone anything that in a couple of years he will be coaching the Pistons or so other team.

When they announced Howard's assistants, I immediately said "Home Run", particularly with Martelli. But, that's also the mark of a good head coach...he knows his weaknesses and uses his staff to cover the gaps. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

When they announced Howard's assistants, I immediately said "Home Run", particularly with Martelli. But, that's also the mark of a good head coach...he knows his weaknesses and uses his staff to cover the gaps. 

One difference that will be interestinng to watch play out is that CMW is an experienced NBA coach v.s. some of the others who were primarily NBA players.

It does appear we're pushing hard for JHS - gotta succeed both on-court and off (recruiting) and this would be a nice feather in Woody's cap.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I haven’t look too much into his recruitment, but it seems like Memphis is really high on Bates’ list

The guys like Penny and FedEx is setting up massive NIL deals for Memphis. That’s why Duran chose Memphis over the G league.

49 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The guys like Penny and FedEx is setting up massive NIL deals for Memphis. That’s why Duran chose Memphis over the G league.

This is starting to feel like early 1950's AAU teams affiliated with companies, ala the Phillips 66ers, Peoria Caterpillars.

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Good for them. When is Ken Nunn going to step up? Or is IU waiting this stuff out to see how things play first?

Well I’d say part of it is IU hasn’t been in the mix for anyone that is that big of a recruit to warrant any kind of bigs deals with anyone yet. 

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Good for them. When is Ken Nunn going to step up? Or is IU waiting this stuff out to see how things play first?

What would the commercial be like from a 20 year old kid? "Hey fellow IU students, after your wreck from drinking and driving, Call Ken Nunn!!" Ken just bought a new Rolls-Royce, doubt he wants to pay kids to rep his business.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Indykev said:

What would the commercial be like from a 20 year old kid? "Hey fellow IU students, after your wreck from drinking and driving, Call Ken Nunn!!" Ken just bought a new Rolls-Royce, doubt he wants to pay kids to rep his business.

Missing the point. On a few fronts. First Ken doesn't do drinking and driving. Secondly...that little scoreboard advertisement that scrolls during hoops game isn't costing him $50. Couldn't some of that be $ diverted to team wide deals? IU fans will almost certainly be more likely to use his firms services if they know he's helping out with NIL...i.e. recruiting. Whether the kids pimp a commercial for a product isn't the point. 

I guess I was hoping for some conversation on what IU is doing on this front. So far it seems like Tshirts and Pizza/Wings....while other schools are coming out with team wide deals that will impact 2022 recruiting and beyond. 

Edit-Guess I'll play Don Draper for 5 seconds. Hi...my name is Mike Penix or TJD,etc....when I get injured IU and IU Health puts my body back together to preserve my ability to earn $ in the future. You might not be so lucky. If you are hurt because of an auto accident or on the job,etc....contact the team at Ken Nunn. He'll fight for you the same way IU fights for me. Go Hoosiers.

Took me about 10 seconds. This isn't real hard stuff in my little opinion. Off to golf and breathe in wildfire smoke!

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Missing the point. On a few fronts. First Ken doesn't do drinking and driving. Secondly...that little scoreboard advertisement that scrolls during hoops game isn't costing him $50. Couldn't some of that be $ diverted to team wide deals? IU fans will almost certainly be more likely to use his firms services if they know he's helping out with NIL...i.e. recruiting. Whether the kids pimp a commercial for a product isn't the point. 

I guess I was hoping for some conversation on what IU is doing on this front. So far it seems like Tshirts and Pizza/Wings....while other schools are coming out with team wide deals that will impact 2022 recruiting and beyond. 

Edit-Guess I'll play Don Draper for 5 seconds. Hi...my name is Mike Penix or TJD,etc....when I get injured IU and IU Health puts my body back together to preserve my ability to earn $ in the future. You might not be so lucky. If you are hurt because of an auto accident or on the job,etc....contact the team at Ken Nunn. He'll fight for you the same way IU fights for me. Go Hoosiers.

Took me about 10 seconds. This isn't real hard stuff in my little opinion. Off to golf and breathe in wildfire smoke!

There ya go...kinda a Jim Fowler-Marlin Perkins type segue...

"That anaconda had Jim in kind of a bind. When you get into a bind, look to Mutual of Omaha for all your insurance needs."

Beats the crap out of Flo and a gecko every time 😁

• Like 1