Billy Donovan

16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I usually agree with your takes on things, but....

this one just doesn't sit well with me. Are you saying we are not serious about basketball under the current head coach?

IU might think it is, but after 3 years of Archie Miller, we're still an afterthought when it comes to contenders in college basketball. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

IU might think it is, but after 3 years of Archie Miller, we're still an afterthought when it comes to contenders in college basketball. 

I know it has been said many times but look at the records of coaches like Bennett, coach K< Wright and Belien after there first 3 or 4 years.  One thing that is lost on this generation is the virtue of patience because it is very lacking in today's society.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Don't get the love for Ty Lue because he only won because of Lebron.   Also I would not really want to coach Philly because I don't think the roster was put together well.  They have all wings and big's nd no real perimeter players.

I'm with you...not a very good coach from what I saw.  He was more of a caretaker in Cleveland.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I usually agree with your takes on things, but....

this one just doesn't sit well with me. Are you saying we are not serious about basketball under the current head coach?

Hopefully things change as some people have left and others are on the way out soon, but IU leadership as a University has not been serious about IU basketball. They wanted the program taken off of its pedestal and it has been. Not a knock on Archie but when opportunity knocks you just might need to answer the door. Not that I agree or think it would happen nor do I think its the moral thing but if a Billy Donovan wants to coach at Indiana you make it happen

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know it has been said many times but look at the records of coaches like Bennett, coach K< Wright and Belien after there first 3 or 4 years.  One thing that is lost on this generation is the virtue of patience because it is very lacking in today's society.

CAM clearly has the team moving in the right direction. We were playing in the ncaa tourney but for Covid. We’re seeing his type of recruits and players, tough, winners, and 3 classes in a row of Indiana Mr Basketball. We’ll see how the team does this season (at some point, geez) after Justin’s departure but the outlook with our new young elite PG and Hunter’s health and growth by end of last season, and TJD’s likely soph power season coming, and the whole team valuing the defensive side of the ball, why on Earth would anyone be worried 3 years in? 

The chance that former college coaches like Donovan and Stevens come back to colleges again would be slim to none assuming they've done decent jobs at pro level, which they did. To me, college coaches don't leave colleges for pro to eventually come back to colleges again. They come back to colleges because they have failed at pro level in any area; it could be W-L, personnel issues, or relationships with owners, etc. 

7 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

The chance that former college coaches like Donovan and Stevens come back to colleges again would be slim to none assuming they've done decent jobs at pro level, which they did. To me, college coaches don't leave colleges for pro to eventually come back to colleges again. They come back to colleges because they have failed at pro level in any area; it could be W-L, personnel issues, or relationships with owners, etc. 

And then there are guys like Larry Brown...

5 hours ago, rico said:

This is the way I see Billy D.  The guy has achieved the ultimate prize at the collegiate level twice.  He is seeking the ultimate prize at the NBA level.  He is gonna go wherever he feels will give him the best opportunity to accomplish that goal.

+1

He would probably stay in the NBA as long as there's a team that wants to hire him. 

31 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

+1

He would probably stay in the NBA as long as there's a team that wants to hire him. 

He just did an excellent job with the Thunder. They were right there with the Rockets in Game 7 (another bizarre ending), on a thrown-together roster. Would be surprised if he doesn't land a new NBA gig soon.

28 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He just did an excellent job with the Thunder. They were right there with the Rockets in Game 7 (another bizarre ending), on a thrown-together roster. Would be surprised if he doesn't land a new NBA gig soon.

With the Clippers?  Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

That's the first name I thought of too, but then I considered his coaching equivalent to ADD...

That is an interesting way of describing Larry Brown and it makes me laugh. He definitely did not stick around any particular project very long.

I will forever be thankful for his time as the Pacers coach because that is when the franchise turned the corner from perennial 1st round fodder to legit contenders. Those first couple of years of LB were an amazing time to be a Pacers fan.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Bulls. Who called it?

I think he likes the NBA life better but time will tell when a Carolina or Duke or Kentucky job opens up. In terms of Billy D time will tell. If you couldn't advance in the playoffs with some of the talent he's had....what's he expecting in Chicago?

Archived