ACC Coaches to propose that all D1 teams make 2021 NCAA Tournament

IU247

1 hour ago, rico said:

Yet........................................

Hope they don't because if they do this ear then there will be pressure to expand it permanently.   I know if you do 128 it would just be one more game but I think that is to many teams involved in the tournament.  I know why coaches want to because they think it will save some coaches from losing their jobs.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hope they don't because if they do this ear then there will be pressure to expand it permanently.   I know if you do 128 it would just be one more game but I think that is to many teams involved in the tournament.  I know why coaches want to because they think it will save some coaches from losing their jobs.

Look at the positives.  No NIT

Sorry took me like 3 days to finally find a way to log in as I couldn’t pass the security check. 

I don’t understand this. We already have every team in the NCAA tournament already? The lone exception is the IVY league who doesn’t have a post season tournament. Everyone is playing their way in during the conference championship tourneys. If you do some huge tournament then it eliminates the need for conference tournaments for automatic bids. This is just dumb!

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sorry took me like 3 days to finally find a way to log in as I couldn’t pass the security check. 

I don’t understand this. We already have every team in the NCAA tournament already? The lone exception is the IVY league who doesn’t have a post season tournament. Everyone is playing their way in during the conference championship tourneys. If you do some huge tournament then it eliminates the need for conference tournaments for automatic bids. This is just dumb!

A few years ago even the Ivy League went to a conference tournament.  They only have the top 4 teams in it but.tjey have one know.  

This is just ban excuse for the coaches to help save jobs by saying they made the tournament.  It is for the middle of the pact teams in the power 5 conferences who would not normally make the tournament.  It was already shot down by Gavitt of the NCAA.

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I am totally against any more expansion. 

But do like the idea of random draw. Eliminates potential selected matchups and more chaos. And I like that. 

Why would you want a random draw?  You could have the top two teams in the country playing in the first round.  Why not just keep everything the same because if it is not broke then don't fix it.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why would you want a random draw?  You could have the top two teams in the country playing in the first round.  Why not just keep everything the same because if it is not broke then don't fix it.

The mid-majors would say that it is broke.

15 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I am totally against any more expansion. 

But do like the idea of random draw. Eliminates potential selected matchups and more chaos. And I like that. 

More chaos early is fun but then usually results in boring blowouts later. I hate random draws in the high school tournament. Can't forget 1st round sectional game with #1 (Gary Harris) vs #2 (Ronnie Johnson). No way they should meet that early. I say keep the NCAA tourney as is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE8hMbnAd3E

7 hours ago, rico said:

The mid-majors would say that it is broke.

You think they don’t get enough representation in the tournament? I don’t think I’ve seen to many top 50 teams get left out. Even if they lose their conference tournament the committee has done a much better job in the past 10 years putting in deserving conference champions of mid majors. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team not make the tournament that I would say had a shot to make the second week....major conference included.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

You think they don’t get enough representation in the tournament? I don’t think I’ve seen to many top 50 teams get left out. Even if they lose their conference tournament the committee has done a much better job in the past 10 years putting in deserving conference champions of mid majors. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team not make the tournament that I would say had a shot to make the second week....major conference included.

Yeah, I never get the complaining on the mid majors. They get plenty of teams in, and honestly if they want a fair shake then do what Butler and Creighton did, move up to a Power 6. I get the idea that a 22-7 mid major should maybe make it over an 18-15 Power 6 school to an extent, but at the same time what would that 22-7 mid major teams record be if they played in the Big Ten? It certainly wouldn't 22-7. 

Want a fair shake, then find a better conference to play in. The rigors of a Big Ten schedule come along with some wiggle room in your final record. 

On 9/12/2020 at 4:49 PM, BGleas said:

Yeah, I never get the complaining on the mid majors. They get plenty of teams in, and honestly if they want a fair shake then do what Butler and Creighton did, move up to a Power 6. I get the idea that a 22-7 mid major should maybe make it over an 18-15 Power 6 school to an extent, but at the same time what would that 22-7 mid major teams record be if they played in the Big Ten? It certainly wouldn't 22-7. 

Want a fair shake, then find a better conference to play in. The rigors of a Big Ten schedule come along with some wiggle room in your final record. 

I agree. Like I said last 10 years or so conference has recognized more regular season champs and two teams from lower conferences and not even mid majors. Murray St and Belmont both got it a couple years ago and the OVC isn’t a power conference at all. If you prove yourself in the regular season that you can beat other tournament teams I think the committee usually will put you in. At least power 6 teams usually have a resume of quality wins over other tournament teams to justify being in. Win your league or up your schedule. Now more than ever mid majors have been able to get games with power conference teams. You have to make the most of your opportunity. I typically don’t feel sorry for last 4 out team...even when we didn’t make it. Not like they have much a chance to advance. 

Archived