What are the rules for recruiting "offers" ?

DWB

I'm not an expert by any means on the ins and outs of offering a kid a scholarship.

I guess my question is: Can a coach "officially" rescind an offer before the kid accepts? I imagine "un-officially" the coach can call the kid and tell him, hey...you snooze you loose, and we're full. But can a coach be pro-active and rescind the offer before acceptance? Maybe the kid got into trouble after the offer, or failed a bunch of classes (I know it's hard to do, esp @ UNC) but there could be a number of reasons to rescind an offer.

I know about the limits on # of scholly's, but not much on the process.

Thanx

6 minutes ago, DWB said:

I'm not an expert by any means on the ins and outs of offering a kid a scholarship.

I guess my question is: Can a coach "officially" rescind an offer before the kid accepts? I imagine "un-officially" the coach can call the kid and tell him, hey...you snooze you loose, and we're full. But can a coach be pro-active and rescind the offer before acceptance? Maybe the kid got into trouble after the offer, or failed a bunch of classes (I know it's hard to do, esp @ UNC) but there could be a number of reasons to rescind an offer.

I know about the limits on # of scholly's, but not much on the process.

Thanx

I don't know the rules but I swould guess a coach can recind an offer

Absolutely nothing is "official" until the NLI is signed and delivered. An offer is what it is, an offer. It's not a promise. An offer can be rescinded at any time, for any reason. Like Hoosier34 mentioned above, it's typically a "mutual" decision. 

I think coaches also offer prospects in a given order...like for example, Trey Kaufman has a spot if he wants it. No one will overtake his scholarship offer in regards to numbers. Does that make sense? I feel like the rest of our '21 class will come together quickly after he makes his selection. Hence why I believe we don't get Wesley (and I am under the impression we want him anymore)

Archived