I Hate Doing This

5fouls

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes! 

Sorry for the delay in getting here but I finally made it.

The mods have done a tremendous job in trying to keep the posts politics free. It is a tough job for all of them. They each have their own string opinions and we have daily discussions regarding these threads and where they are going 

It has been my rule since starting this forum over 8 years ago that we are politics free and I plan to keep it that way. It has been harder these last few years as politics have invaded sports but we will continue to try and keep these things separate.  

If you have a problem with that please contact me. I will respond.

If you can't follow these simple rules then expect your posts to be deleted or threads to be closed. It's that simple. Don't get mad just understand that is what is going to happen. 

We value all of you. We truly do but politics is the way to divide everyone and we will do our best to keep it away from here. We ask you to please avoid it.

Thanks!

54 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

Why would a mod do this? 

Well with any group trying to manage anything together, there are always different styles and opinions. I think (pretty sure actually) everyone wants no politic's here, but there's been a few threads that it seems finding the "politics" was a really hard stretch. No biggie but it has seemed a few pretty good honest conversations were stiffeld in a search for politics. Just an observation, that's all. 

For what it is worth, I saw some pretty clear political undertones from some posts in that thread. 

I'm hyper aware of some such things for a variety of reasons, but they were obvious to me. I appreciate it got shut down; I didn't complain to the mods but I know if I had responded how I would have liked to it would've drawn several complaints from some of you who claim to lot want to talk politics. 

46 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Well with any group trying to manage anything together, there are always different styles and opinions. I think (pretty sure actually) everyone wants no politic's here, but there's been a few threads that it seems finding the "politics" was a really hard stretch. No biggie but it has seemed a few pretty good honest conversations were stiffeld in a search for politics. Just an observation, that's all. 

I get what you are saying. 

I think that sometimes what you are seeing is the "aftermath" of some threads. If we get to the thread in time we delete the post we think is political. If the posts continue to go political we usually delete the political ones and then put up a warning. If it continues we just delete or lock the thread. If you see it on step two or three, you may not have seen the offending post.

Between all this the mods discuss it on our forum and try to see if we have a consensus. If it is really bad and getting out of control one of us will just lock it until we can agree on what to do.

We have a wide variety of political beliefs in the moderator group and I think overall we try to keep threads open as long as possible but there are times when we kinda know where the thread is going. 

We aren't perfect we try our best to make the forum interesting enough to keep people coming back but not so confrontational that we lose people.

Lastly, while we don't make money on this site, we so want people to enjoy themselves so it can be a fine line.

Thanks for being a member! We truly do enjoy you being here.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

For what it is worth, I saw some pretty clear political undertones from some posts in that thread. 

I'm hyper aware of some such things for a variety of reasons, but they were obvious to me. I appreciate it got shut down; I didn't complain to the mods but I know if I had responded how I would have liked to it would've drawn several complaints from some of you who claim to lot want to talk politics. 

Oh yeah! Us mods have said that same thing over the years...and that is what usually makes me vote to shut a thread down.

Just now, Colonialcrester said:

Oh yeah! Us mods have said that same thing over the years...and that is what usually makes me vote to shut a thread down.

I'm not a cautious person, but I think for what you all do erring on the side of caution usually makes the most sense. We have a great community to talk about IU and other stuff; we should ruin it for some controversial topics. 

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I appreciate you not complaining to the mods and not responding in a political manner.  But, maybe your 'hyper-awareness' brought politics into a discussion when it was not actually there.  That's not the fault of the discussion that was going on.

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I appreciate you not complaining to the mods and not responding in a political manner.  But, maybe your 'hyper-awareness' brought politics into a discussion when it was not actually there.  That's not the fault of the discussion that was going on.

I didn't read the louisville threads in detail.  I do wonder why determining facts has or can become political.  Our society has become a head scratcher for sure.  What seems like common sense is no so common.  No I'm not talking about interpreting the events and outcome of BT.  

I tried to avoid this from the beginning. And no I did not, or have not ever complained privately to a mod about a thread getting political. Actually I’ve privately messaged them to apologize when I’ve flirted with the line because I understand they have a hard job. I don’t want them stressing about my ‘message board freedoms’ when they have other jobs and do this for free so we can all talk about basketball and other random stuff. I’m not sure why there’s a need to constantly second guess their decisions. C’mon guys, this is a basketball board, they didn’t sign up for this crap. They could’ve easily shut down the Coronavirus thread months ago but they didn’t because they know we enjoy it. Daddy’s letting us take the Porsche out but said we can’t speed, but it’s SO enticing to go fast. 

That said, frequently opinions get brought up on this board that I don’t agree with. That’s fine, I’m a big boy. But many times out of respect for the rules I bite my tongue instead of posting a counter argument because there’s no way to layout a counter argument without getting into politics. Take for example, HCQ, you just can’t debate the topic without flirting with the political line...it’s damn near impossible. (This is not an invitation to talk about HCQ, just using it as an example). I can understand how a thread about Breanna Taylor can flirt with that line....or that it could get to that line very quickly and could warrant a premature shutdown even if no posts were overtly political yet. I don’t think 5fouls or many other posters intentionally do this...it’s just the sad result of this country’s political climate. These are not easy waters to tread. Can we at least recognize that and give the mods a break here?

My only 2 cents on this topic is that I agree with what @5fouls said stating that the he should have been informed why the thread was being closed. If the mods are going to take an action that is in the grey area, why not at least share that with the member? I know I would feel much better getting an answer that the mods discussed this and agreed to take such action because of xyz. To me, some simple communication would go a long way. I know I have been mystified at times wondering if certain comments were directed at me or why certain comments were made to me

56 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I tried to avoid this from the beginning. And no I did not, or have not ever complained privately to a mod about a thread getting political. Actually I’ve privately messaged them to apologize when I’ve flirted with the line because I understand they have a hard job. I don’t want them stressing about my ‘message board freedoms’ when they have other jobs and do this for free so we can all talk about basketball and other random stuff. I’m not sure why there’s a need to constantly second guess their decisions. C’mon guys, this is a basketball board, they didn’t sign up for this crap. They could’ve easily shut down the Coronavirus thread months ago but they didn’t because they know we enjoy it. Daddy’s letting us take the Porsche out but said we can’t speed, but it’s SO enticing to go fast. 

That said, frequently opinions get brought up on this board that I don’t agree with. That’s fine, I’m a big boy. But many times out of respect for the rules I bite my tongue instead of posting a counter argument because there’s no way to layout a counter argument without getting into politics. Take for example, HCQ, you just can’t debate the topic without flirting with the political line...it’s damn near impossible. (This is not an invitation to talk about HCQ, just using it as an example). I can understand how a thread about Breanna Taylor can flirt with that line....or that it could get to that line very quickly and could warrant a premature shutdown even if no posts were overtly political yet. I don’t think 5fouls or many other posters intentionally do this...it’s just the sad result of this country’s political climate. These are not easy waters to tread. Can we at least recognize that and give the mods a break here?

Trump talked to the B1G commish...what realm does that fall under?

Sports are indeed involved in what is happening in this country today.

And I understand exactly what the admin/mods deal with in a normal world.  And I imagine all of us would agree we want that normalcy back.

54 minutes ago, rico said:

Trump talked to the B1G commish...what realm does that fall under?

Sports are indeed involved in what is happening in this country today.

And I understand exactly what the admin/mods deal with in a normal world.  And I imagine all of us would agree we want that normalcy back.

Is that a real question Rico? Obviously if you talk about Trump you are talking politics, that is not even a grey area. Here's my question to you, why do you keep fanning the flames? Look, fwiw I respect you, you know that, you're a long-time poster and hello, we like you. But man, you need to stop fanning the flames. When you have a guy like Blue -- who is as even keeled and calm as they get --getting ticked off, you should know you've pushed the envelope.

I am doing right now what I said shouldn't be done, I'm posting this discussion publicly, because Fouls insisted on posting it, and then we had more follow up discussion from other mods, CC, and there's now public back and forth with you and Blue. 

Look man, give us a break. That applies to every poster in this thread and the others who keep questioning our decisions on what we perceive as politics/social unrest stuff (crap) that doesn't belong here, and who keep trying to inject those discussions.

Take a minute, step away from the keyboards, and think about what we do as mods, and for CC, as owner.

We provide a basketball  board. That does not include politics, we've made that clear, repeatedly, over and over again, and look, we're going to draw the line as best we can. We're going to do so in what we see as in the best interest of the Board. This is not a -- just don't participate in a thread if you don't like the discussion -- thing. That is not OK. 

And these discussions that keep getting pushed by some -- policing, rioting, etc.-- are frankly well into politics and ongoing national social unrest, and it pisses a lot of people off. All of the mods are in agreement that those discussions have no place here. They do not belong here. The COVID thread has been left up, despite that it has caused us a great deal of grief. It's now in a pretty good place, assuming it stays that way it will stay up. 

So guys, again, if you have any question about posting a thread, you can always reach out to CC or any mod. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Is that a real question Rico? Obviously if you talk about Trump you are talking politics, that is not even a grey area. Here's my question to you, why do you keep fanning the flames? Look, fwiw I respect you, you know that, you're a long-time poster and hello, we like you. But man, you need to stop fanning the flames. When you have a guy like Blue -- who is as even keeled and calm as they get --getting ticked off, you should know you've pushed the envelope.

I am doing right now what I said shouldn't be done, I'm posting this discussion publicly, because Fouls insisted on posting it, and then we had more follow up discussion from other mods, CC, and there's now public back and forth with you and Blue. 

Look man, give us a break. That applies to every poster in this thread and the others who keep questioning our decisions on what we perceive as politics/social unrest stuff (crap) that doesn't belong here, and who keep trying to inject those discussions.

Take a minute, step away from the keyboards, and think about what we do as mods, and for CC, as owner.

We provide a basketball  board. That does not include politics, we've made that clear, repeatedly, over and over again, and look, we're going to draw the line as best we can. We're going to do so in what we see as in the best interest of the Board. This is not a -- just don't participate in a thread if you don't like the discussion -- thing. That is not OK. 

And these discussions that keep getting pushed by some -- policing, rioting, etc.-- are frankly well into politics and ongoing national social unrest, and it pisses a lot of people off. All of the mods are in agreement that those discussions have no place here. They do not belong here. The COVID thread has been left up, despite that it has caused us a great deal of grief. It's now in a pretty good place, assuming it stays that way it will stay up. 

So guys, again, if you have any question about posting a thread, you can always reach out to CC or any mod. 

Thank you for that statement.  I will take it to heart.  And I will use my best judgement(which is usually pretty good) to consider how others might feel about certain topics/discussions.  In future endeavors I will do my damnest to stay away from those "grey" areas.

My apologies for any grief I have caused.

Carry on.

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Or maybe the politics were there on purpose and you just didn't notice. That's not my fault. 

Archived