I Hate Doing This

5fouls

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Or maybe the politics were there on purpose and you just didn't notice. That's not my fault. 

My 5th wife always complained about me not noticing the little things when we were dating.  I talked her into getting married on July 4th while we were in Vegas.  I thought how cool it was that I would not have trouble remembering our anniversary.  The following year I was proud of myself for remembering.  That was until she got mad about the case of beer I bought her for a present

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

For what it is worth, I saw some pretty clear political undertones from some posts in that thread. 

I'm hyper aware of some such things for a variety of reasons, but they were obvious to me. I appreciate it got shut down; I didn't complain to the mods but I know if I had responded how I would have liked to it would've drawn several complaints from some of you who claim to lot want to talk politics. 

Hyper Aware = overly sensitive.

I think you confuse a discussion of current events as being political.  

You need to take a step back and let logic and reason in and drop the emotions.

54 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So what did you find political in the Louisville thread?

DBG. 

The first post that comes to mind was responded to by a mod that has a personal relationship with that poster. It was a post from far-right conspiracy land; it isn't being sensitive to recognize that, it's being more aware. If I was sensitive I'd have responded or reported it, neither of which I did. 

42 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The first post that comes to mind was responded to by a mod that has a personal relationship with that poster. It was a post from far-right conspiracy land; it isn't being sensitive to recognize that, it's being more aware. If I was sensitive I'd have responded or reported it, neither of which I did. 

Went back and reviewed both threads. Didn't see any far right wing anything or anything political. Point it out if it exists.  

I will help you.  It doesn't exist except in your mind. 

34 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Went back and reviewed both threads. Didn't see any far right wing anything or anything political. Point it out if it exists.  

I will help you.  It doesn't exist except in your mind. 

I'll assume the mods have let you continue for a reason so I'll bite... talking about who paid for "riot gear" for protesters is absolutely a far-right, conspiracy theorist talking point. If it doesn't register that way to you, well most people don't realize they're an extremist. 

It was gently pushed back by a mod pointing out the hypocrisy of the post and because of a relationship there it didn't escalate further. I'd guess if I responded to that same poster it would have escalated. I chose to step back until you called me out. Perhaps the you're a bit sensitive that someone recognizes that type of talk for what it is; we don't all live in a far-right bubble where that's normal "discussion".

Here's the way I see it.  And, after this posts, I'll ask the mods to lock this thread since I started it.

Unfortunately, there are people on both sides of the political spectrum who are incapable of discussing something they don't 100% agree with. That is not really a discussion.

I can sit all day and talk all day with my sister about how her vote is different than mine.  Sure, she gets animated, but she is willing to discuss.  By contrast, there are other family members on both sides of politics that will storm out of the room if anyone says anything positive about the other side.  That's not healthy for the healing of this country.

There is absolutely NOTHING overtly political in the State of Emergency thread.  I, myself, gently pushed the topic away from that happening on the top of Page 2.  I stand by my statement that the only people that made the State of Emergency thread political were the ones that refused to be open minded about having a discussion.   

With that said mods, lock this one up as well.  I don't want good posters fighting amongst each other.  I do want and enjoy healthy discussion on topics other than basketball, but it appears a segment of this board does not want that.

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'll assume the mods have let you continue for a reason so I'll bite... talking about who paid for "riot gear" for protesters is absolutely a far-right, conspiracy theorist talking point. If it doesn't register that way to you, well most people don't realize they're an extremist. 

It was gently pushed back by a mod pointing out the hypocrisy of the post and because of a relationship there it didn't escalate further. I'd guess if I responded to that same poster it would have escalated. I chose to step back until you called me out. Perhaps the you're a bit sensitive that someone recognizes that type of talk for what it is; we don't all live in a far-right bubble where that's normal "discussion".

I think I found the post on riot gear.  I guess the word riot gear is what could be in question.  Regular signs made of poster board or a sheet, probably not.  When the u-haul gets pulled open and someone yells, shields, we have shields.  

If the mods don't want the conversation of who is paying for a u-haul full of signs and "shields" fine, but it's a legitimate question that the American people should be able to ask, discuss, research, and know.  

Not sure why that is far left or right.  I'm ok with pm if this gets locked.  

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

talking about who paid for "riot gear" for protesters is absolutely a far-right, conspiracy theorist talking point.

Hang on mods, don't lock it yet...

This statement from Kob2011 actually helps me understand where this political "Line" is. I would never in a million years think this is political, I simply see it as discussing possibilities of things happening on the ground or an organized effort IF there is one. I see now that it would be interesting to some while others may be irritated by it.

I totally suck at things in the abstract as I'm a yes/ no kind of guy. This actually helped me. Thanks!

Here is an analogy of where I am coming from in case some have been unable to understand my point.

Assume a national media story comes out about a protest in Portland, Maine because a kid is suspended for having an asthma inhaler on his person instead of storing with the school nurse.  The community in Maine is very passionate about this, and they pull together to support the student, but the protests remain peaceful.  BillyBob starts a thread about it on HSN because he also believes the student is getting a raw deal.  While not as passionate about it as BillyBob is, most of the other posters agree that what happened was unfortunate, if not wrong.  The rules in place by the school corporation did not provide justice to the student.  In any event, a nice discussion occurs on HSN about the topic.  Posters stick to the facts about what is happening.  BillyBob is pleased that most of the HSN community sees his point of view.

The following week, the exact same scenario happens in Portland, Oregon.  However, instead of the protests being peaceful, the community there starts burning down the city and vandalizing medical supply stores.  At some point during the protest, the school principal is shot, but not seriously wounded.  JimmyJohn lives in the Portland suburbs and works in downtown Portland.  He is horrified by the events and starts a thread about it on HSN.  Like the thread before, posters stick to the facts about the situation.  BillyBob sees the new thread and does not like that it paints inhaler protestors in a negative light.  It makes people that support his position about inhalers in school look bad.  He takes this concern to the mods at HSN, claiming the topic is 'political'.  

This is my point.  Whatever your belief about a topic is, there can be good and bad things occur related to that topic.  If we are allowed to discuss FACTUAL evidence that paints your belief in a positive light, we should also be allowed to post FACTUAL evidence that paints your belief in a negative light.

Same thing can happen in a basketball discussion.  I may think 35% three point shooting is good enough.  You may not.  We discuss it, ruffle each others feathers a bit, but we don't request threads be locked because we disagree.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Here's the way I see it.  And, after this posts, I'll ask the mods to lock this thread since I started it.

Unfortunately, there are people on both sides of the political spectrum who are incapable of discussing something they don't 100% agree with. That is not really a discussion.

I can sit all day and talk all day with my sister about how her vote is different than mine.  Sure, she gets animated, but she is willing to discuss.  By contrast, there are other family members on both sides of politics that will storm out of the room if anyone says anything positive about the other side.  That's not healthy for the healing of this country.

There is absolutely NOTHING overtly political in the State of Emergency thread.  I, myself, gently pushed the topic away from that happening on the top of Page 2.  I stand by my statement that the only people that made the State of Emergency thread political were the ones that refused to be open minded about having a discussion.   

With that said mods, lock this one up as well.  I don't want good posters fighting amongst each other.  I do want and enjoy healthy discussion on topics other than basketball, but it appears a segment of this board does not want that.

Nobody is afraid or incapable of having civilized conversations. It’s recognizing the slippery slope and respecting the rules. That’s all. 

IUFLA, and I have 3 pages of civilized political conversations in PM, which are followed by 3 more pages of music because we enjoy chatting with each other despite our differences.  Some in this thread painting people who disagree with you as being too ‘sensitive’ or ‘incapable’ in some sort of quest for civility is a little ironic. 

Use PM guys. Learn where others are coming from instead of calling out in a public thread.  

26 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Nobody is afraid or incapable of having civilized conversations. It’s recognizing the slippery slope and respecting the rules. That’s all. 

IUFLA, and I have 3 pages of civilized political conversations in PM, which are followed by 3 more pages of music because we enjoy chatting with each other despite our differences.  Some in this thread painting people who disagree with you as being too ‘sensitive’ or ‘incapable’ in some sort of quest for civility is a little ironic. 

Use PM guys. Learn where they are coming from instead of calling out in a public thread.  

I agree it can be a slippery slope.  But, some posters on the board do try and censor discussions that are within the board rules, even ones that don't have any sort of political connection.  Look no further than the Luke Brown thread.  How many times did a poster imply the thread should be locked, or criticized the Luke Brown fan that kept it alive for so long.  That thread was not harming anyone, and some of us enjoyed discussing Luke.  I'll reiterate one of my other points.  If the thread topic is not one you care about, simply don't open it. 

Why open the Luke Brown thread to simply imply the mods should lock it?  Why open the State of Emergency thread if the intent will be to find a way to get the mods to shut it down?  The President McRobbie to Retire thread has been on the board for 6 weeks, and I have never opened it.  The Calipari Flip the Script thread is at the top of the list right now, and I have never opened it. Let discussions happen.  As far as making sure the discussions stay in bounds, then let the mods handle that as long as enforcement is consistent and not favoring the squeaky wheel.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I agree it can be a slippery slope.  But, some posters on the board do try and censor discussions that are within the board rules, even ones that don't have any sort of political connection.  Look no further than the Luke Brown thread.  How many times did a poster imply the thread should be locked, or criticized the Luke Brown fan that kept it alive for so long.  That thread was not harming anyone, and some of us enjoyed discussing Luke.  I'll reiterate one of my other points.  If the thread topic is not one you care about, simply don't open it. 

Why open the Luke Brown thread to simply imply the mods should lock it?  Why open the State of Emergency thread if the intent will be to find a way to get the mods to shut it down?  The President McRobbie to Retire thread has been on the board for 6 weeks, and I have never opened it.  The Calipari Flip the Script thread is at the top of the list right now, and I have never opened it. Let discussions happen.  As far as making sure the discussions stay in bounds, then let the mods handle that as long as enforcement is consistent and not favoring the squeaky wheel.  

I have seen some dandy arguments on my site over the years regarding fishing.  

I know your POV, and understand.  But as I said, I will stay away from the grey areas and let the admin do what they feel is best.

Archived