'20-'21 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

1 minute ago, slojoe said:

Pitching is not their main problem.  Remember it was their starting pitching that got them off to a great start which the rode to the division title.  Hitting is the problem.

I believe "the hitters" just had a down year...but I also understand the hitters have failed miserably in the play-offs since their WS title.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I've thought about the different teams around the league and some of the really good players that had down offensive seasons the more I think it had to do with the super short season and the lack of off days. I'll use a couple of examples. The first is Joey Votto. He got benched for a few days after an awful start made some adjustments and then started hitting much better. The second is Fernando Tatis Jr who got off to an incrdible start then cooled down heading into the playoffs. He got a couple days off and then he has now gotten hot again in the playoffs. Is that what happened to every player? Probably not but I do think it played an impact on several of them in one form or another. 

New name to keep an eye on this offseason is Ha-Seong Kim. He is a star shortstop in the KBO and will be 25 next season. He is viewed as a talent that would have immediate top 100 prospect status. He's a player I wouldn't mind the Reds looking at to fill that spot because he could help boost thier younger talent pool a bit. He's also much younger than Shogo was this past offseason coming over from Japan. 

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

New name to keep an eye on this offseason is Ha-Seong Kim. He is a star shortstop in the KBO and will be 25 next season. He is viewed as a talent that would have immediate top 100 prospect status. He's a player I wouldn't mind the Reds looking at to fill that spot because he could help boost thier younger talent pool a bit. He's also much younger than Shogo was this past offseason coming over from Japan. 

I have a feeling the Reds will bring in a veteran SS to be a stop gap util Garcia is ready to be a ful time starter.  He is ready on the defnesive side but he is no where near ready to offensively. 

As for the Reds off season, I guess the fist question is will the be a DH next year in the NL.  The problem is that to many of the players are best suited to be a DH( Castellanos, Winker, Votto, Moustakas).

Just now, IU Scott said:

I have a feeling the Reds will bring in a veteran SS to be a stop gap util Garcia is ready to be a ful time starter.  He is ready on the defnesive side but he is no where near ready to offensively. 

I agree but here is the thought I had that actually makes a ton of since imo. If they are dead set on keepin Senzel in the OFif he isn't traded then they could sign Kim. He plays SS for the time being. Then when Garcia is ready if he's better at SS than Kim then you move him over to 2nd and put Moose at 1st with Votto as the DH. That should instantly improve the infield defense and overall team athleticism. The Reds are a team to keep an eye on here imo because they have been invloved with several pacific rim players in recent years and then signed Shogo last year. 

29 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I agree but here is the thought I had that actually makes a ton of since imo. If they are dead set on keepin Senzel in the OFif he isn't traded then they could sign Kim. He plays SS for the time being. Then when Garcia is ready if he's better at SS than Kim then you move him over to 2nd and put Moose at 1st with Votto as the DH. That should instantly improve the infield defense and overall team athleticism. The Reds are a team to keep an eye on here imo because they have been invloved with several pacific rim players in recent years and then signed Shogo last year. 

Whoever they bring in they need to be able to hit and put the  bat on the ball.  I am tired of seeing guys striking out or jus thitting homers.  We can't have 60% of the runs scored off of homeruns.

59 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Whoever they bring in they need to be able to hit and put the  bat on the ball.  I am tired of seeing guys striking out or jus thitting homers.  We can't have 60% of the runs scored off of homeruns.

That is 100% accurate. I expect Moose and Castellanos to be better in that department too. 

Something to keep track of this offseason is what players get non tendered in order for teams to save money. I heard on a podcast a few days ago that their are people inside baseball speculating that the Cubs might non tender guys like Bryant and Baez to save money and not go to arbitration. If it happens with the Cubs it might happen with other teams too. I also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players sign one year deals this offseason as well.

59 minutes ago, rico said:

This is where baseball needs to do something with revenue sharing that would allow smaller markets a chance to keep their top players.  There are teams like the Ray's who have been able to compete with a low payroll.  The thing is that these teams develope young players and after 6 years they lose their top players and then have to start over.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Where will they sign?  MLBTR tells us...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

They have the Cubs as bridesmaids for a few of these guys, which I don't believe for a minute with money being freed up through Lester and Quintana...Chris Archer (no thanks) is the only one they have signing with the Cubs...

And I think Marcus Semien will have plenty of suitors for a multi-year deal

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They have the Cubs as bridesmaids for a few of these guys, which I don't believe for a minute with money being freed up through Lester and Quintana...Chris Archer (no thanks) is the only one they have signing with the Cubs...

And I think Marcus Semien will have plenty of suitors for a multi-year deal

Is Chatwood a FA?

1 minute ago, rico said:

Is Chatwood a FA?

Yes...

I'm a little tired of the Cubs taking on guys with arm problems (Chatswood, Morrow, Cotton) and hoping against hope they'll return to form.

Time to get a solid 3 and 4 and maybe let some of the young guys compete for a 5 spot...

I'd definitely like to see Bauer get an offer from us, but I'm not hopeful with the way the Ricketts are guarding the cash...

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes...

I'm a little tired of the Cubs taking on guys with arm problems (Chatswood, Morrow, Cotton) and hoping against hope they'll return to form.

Time to get a solid 3 and 4 and maybe let some of the young guys compete for a 5 spot...

I'd definitely like to see Bauer get an offer from us, but I'm not hopeful with the way the Ricketts are guarding the cash...

I see they got Trevor going to the Dodgers.  I feel that it is bad juju to mess with a championship roster.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

I see they got Trevor going to the Dodgers.  I feel that it is bad juju to mess with a championship roster.

He went to UCLA if I remember right...so he knows the region...I'd hate for the Dodgers to get him...

There are a few pitchers I'd like to see the Cubs kick the tires on in FA. But I have a sneaking suspension that they'll make some deals with our core players going for youth...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He went to UCLA if I remember right...so he knows the region...I'd hate for the Dodgers to get him...

There are a few pitchers I'd like to see the Cubs kick the tires on in FA. But I have a sneaking suspension that they'll make some deals with our core players going for youth...

I hope the Reds keep him...just sayin'!

Archived