'20-'21 MLB Hot Stove League

rico

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Michael Lorenzen stated today that he is going to report to spring training as a starting pitcher and intends to stay in that role all season. 

I oft wonder why the Reds didn't follow through with it...must have been his bat?

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Michael Lorenzen stated today that he is going to report to spring training as a starting pitcher and intends to stay in that role all season. 

He looked pretty good in his starts at the end of this year.  Driving home tonight I was listening to WLW 700 from Cincy and they had bauer on tlaking about winning the Cy Young.  He was asked about his time with the Reds and he said that this year he got more enjoyment from playing baseball and from teammates than he ever has.  He made it sound like he did not really enjoy playing in Cleveland very much and didn't get along with teammates. He said one of the main things he is looking for in free agency is a place he can be happy. Saying that I amsure it won't be with the Reds and I htink it will be the Padres or Angels.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

He looked pretty good in his starts at the end of this year.  Driving home tonight I was listening to WLW 700 from Cincy and they had bauer on tlaking about winning the Cy Young.  He was asked about his time with the Reds and he said that this year he got more enjoyment from playing baseball and from teammates than he ever has.  He made it sound like he did not really enjoy playing in Cleveland very much and didn't get along with teammates. He said one of the main things he is looking for in free agency is a place he can be happy. Saying that I amsure it won't be with the Reds and I htink it will be the Padres or Angels.

With that, congrats to Trevor on winning the Cy Young.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Theo just resigned from Cubs....clearing the way for Jed Hoyer. Makes sense. This was kind of the plan all along at some point. 

I keep seeing "cut payroll" in every article I've read about the Cubs for 3 years. I can see it to an extent, but if the Ricketts think Cub fans are going to be ok with them following the A's model, they're crazy...

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I keep seeing "cut payroll" in every article I've read about the Cubs for 3 years. I can see it to an extent, but if the Ricketts think Cub fans are going to be ok with them following the A's model, they're crazy...

I truly believe the Cubs can cut payroll and be a contender at the same time.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Was out and had the radio on and DD was talking to a Chicago reporter he thought Bryant or Scwarber could be non tender and released.  I guess after the World Series Theo tried to extend Rizo, Baeaz, Schwarber and Bryant but all refused and now think the money will not be there for them.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Was out and had the radio on and DD was talking to a Chicago reporter he thought Bryant or Scwarber could be non tender and released.  I guess after the World Series Theo tried to extend Rizo, Baeaz, Schwarber and Bryant but all refused and now think the money will not be there for them.

Wow, on the Bryant Schwarber thing.  The turning extensions down does not surprise me.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Kap has been Theo's voicebox for a few years. Very solid guy though and what he says is gospel. Kaplan was the guy who used to be an assistant coach back in the day with Crean and a few others. He's also the guy that Knight summoned after his firing to do an interview. They always asked him why Kaplan....Knight replied because he knew he could trust him and not screw it up. 

In terms of the $. The $ will be there but what Kap and others have reported in last 24 hours....all are on the table to be traded. We had a good run. Time for Jed to plant his mark with a new bunch moving forward.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I truly believe the Cubs can cut payroll and be a contender at the same time.

I think they can too, but I'd like to be able to go out and get some pitching. I think right now the rotation would be Darvish, Hendricks, Lester (signed to a cheaper contract) Mills, and Alzolay, and I don't think that rotation is going to cut it. Bullpen needs a few arms too.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That makes no sense to me...gotta get something for them. But they let LaStella go for nothing, and we see how that turned out.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think they can too, but I'd like to be able to go out and get some pitching. I think right now the rotation would be Darvish, Hendricks, Lester (signed to a cheaper contract) Mills, and Alzolay, and I don't think that rotation is going to cut it. Bullpen needs a few arms too.

That makes no sense to me...gotta get something for them. But they let LaStella go for nothing, and we see how that turned out.

Well Kaplan was saying that Bryant will be due 22 mil in arbitration and said no team will want to take that salary on.  He said with Bryant coming off a couple of injury filled seasons and only having 7 RBI this year there would not get anything near what they should for him.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well Kaplan was saying that Bryant will be due 22 mil in arbitration and said no team will want to take that salary on.  He said with Bryant coming off a couple of injury filled seasons and only having 7 RBI this year there would not get anything near what they should for him.

I guess I just have to get use to the fact that sometimes it's better to cut bait...At least from a financial sense...

I'm guessing if the Cubs non-tender him, he's essentially a free agent...Screw it, I say give him the arbitration money and hope he has a good year...then see what the options are at the trade deadline...But the way the McRicketts have been playing it, I don't see that happening...

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I guess I just have to get use to the fact that sometimes it's better to cut bait...At least from a financial sense...

I'm guessing if the Cubs non-tender him, he's essentially a free agent...Screw it, I say give him the arbitration money and hope he has a good year...then see what the options are at the trade deadline...But the way the McRicketts have been playing it, I don't see that happening...

It's really a tough one. Pay him for the year and just hope things change.....or use the last couple years as reason enough to justify moving on from him and others.

Love these guys so much because of this run in playoffs and of course World Series title but I'm at the point where it's time to move on and start over.

Throw as much $ at Bauer as possible and start dealing the core players and try small ball for a season until we can ramp up our bats. Padres did it in 2 seasons. Our comrades on the South Side did too. It can be done quickly. 

Archived