The state of the NBA (and other major professional sports)

FKIM01

I'm less and less interested in the NBA, which is odd, considering my interest in the main feeder organization.  I have a similar attitude toward college and pro football.  I've not gotten there with baseball (yet), but I can see that happening as well.  I wonder how prevalent my attitude is among sports consumers?  I don't know but I feel like there's at least anecdotal evidence that at least some more casual sports consumers are experiencing similar feelings.  Ratings appear to be trending down for whatever reason.  We could ascribe several different theories about the why, but I'm content to sit back and observe how it ultimately plays out and whether it trends back like baseball did after the strike or whether this is more of a long-term trend that is part of a larger picture.  I'm baffled in at least this respect:  with the inability to see sports events live and the complete lack of sports events for several months, it would stand to reason that viewership would be way UP.  You can argue that some sports are out of season, but it seems that the big three (football, baseball and basketball) are ALL suffering.  I know what would possibly bring me back/rekindle my interest but I'm not making the assumption that my feelings are at all universal.  What I AM wondering out loud is if this trend is not reversed, what do professional basketball, baseball and football look like in 5 or 10 years.  I expect this theory to be dismissed by the many hardcore sports fans here, but I know how I used to love watching NASCAR races, but gradually lost interest.  The reasons are multiple, but I know I'm not alone on this one...just look at this article about the Coca-Cola 600:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/05/nascar-ratings-charlotte-lowest-years-fox/

Yes, this is a dated article, but I just Googled and picked one at random.  I'm confident that it's representative of what has happened in NASCAR and I suspect that the big three are at least threatened by the same phenomenon.  Do I think these sports will fade away?  Of course not, but I do at least suspect that a lot of casual fans are gradually losing interest, just like they did with NASCAR.  Again, if that trend continues, what do these sports morph into?  I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that these three sports will experience revenue declines that will eventually dramatically change the face of these sports.  I see shrinking contracts (and/or mounting operating losses) and shrinking franchise values.

Asking everyone to be mindful of forum rules, I am Interested in what Hoosier Nation thinks here (not what you wish)...short-term blip or do these sports follow NASCAR into the ratings abyss?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laker/Heat series doesn't do any thing for me.  Lebron is spewing his silly political opinions is a turn off.  Like the Heat coach and players but not fan of their franchise with the grudge I have as a Mavs fan from 06 finals and the decision.  I chose to attend a Texas HS football game and the Walking dead over Finals game 2 and 3.  The rise of Luka and the return of the Warriors will keep me tuned in for many more years. 

I lost interestin NFL teams several years ago but watch for Fantasy Football entertainment.  

Reds are pretending to get good and Rangers have a new stadium. Baseball ain't goin away.

haven't watched the NBA in years and when i am forced due to one of my sons having it on, it seems worse all the time.  haven't watched much NFL the last few years and absolutely zero this year.  i love sports and hate politics.  if i'm going to be forced into politics by watching sports, i'll sadly only watch MLB and college sports and hope they don't push me away.  

8 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think there is a lot that goes into the waning ratings, but I do believe one factor is that during the months of having no sports, people realized they could live without them.  

Absolutely.  To a vast majority of the American people, sports doesn't affect their lives at all.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The NBA has decided their market is 15 to 20 year olds anywhere in the world, but especially China, who buy Nike sneakers. We'll see if that's enough to sustain the league.

The NBA lost me a long time ago on the "must see TV" thing.

In addition to all that's been posted before, I think oversaturation has something to do with it. There are so many games on, it actually gets a little tiresome.

Couple that with the fact I don't need lessons on morality, race, or politics, and I personally became very selective of the games I do watch...

I had given up on professional sports (NFL and NBA) about a dozen years ago. Just decided I have better things to do with my time. About 8 years ago, I stopped watching NCAA football as well.

It's pretty much just IU basketball and the occasional IU football game if I happen to be near a TV showing it.

I used to love following college players to the NBA and NFL, but just have the time to devote to it anymore.

I do appreciate being able to follow ex-IU players via ITH or here on the forums though. Always happy to see them do well.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

In addition to all that's been posted before, I think oversaturation has something to do with it. There are so many games on, it actually gets a little tiresome.

Couple that with the fact I don't need lessons on morality, race, or politics, and I personally became very selective of the games I do watch...

Totally agree with this because when I was a kid you might see one NBA game a week and that was a Sunday afternoon game on CBS.  In football you would see maybe 4 games a week with 3 on Sunday afternnon an done on Monday night.  In the MLB you woud get one game a week on NBC on Saturday afternoon.  Saying all of this is that back then getting to see a game on TV was a privilage and now it just does not have that excitement.  

My problem with the NBA and maybe pro sprts in General is th entitlement that the players show today.  With the NBA where the players is trying to take over the league and run it just rubs me the wrong way.  I hate seeing players forcing trades to just play with one of their friends.  As for the NBA I just don't enjoy that brand of basketball where it is all ick and roll and guys going one on one.  What is bothered me that is coming down tot he college and high school games as well.  Basketball use to be a game of beauty with players moving and the ball moving freely.

I was a huge NBA fan during the Jordan years. Helped that my team was always winning :)

The NBA has since drifted down my priority list. I barely know any players on the Bulls anymore.

For the NFL, I try and follow the Bears. Would try and watch most of their games until their season was lost and by then college bball was going. This year I watched 1 of their 4 games.  May watch more if nothing is going on but not carving that time out of my day anymore.

For MLB, always been a White Sox fan but due to so many games, and the length of them, it is more just trying to follow along. Go to a couple games / year, watch a few innings here and there, etc. 

I know the Sox team / players better than the Bears/ Bulls.  Politicization would be a minor factor in me watching less. 

College bball, specifically the Big 10 and IU, is where I still pay attention. Will try and watch every IU game. 

31 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I want to love the NBA but why watch a league where only 7-10 teams have a shot to win?

Say what you want about the NFL, but they figured out how to have parity, which no other league has done.

Yep, the NFL has it right.

38 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I want to love the NBA but why watch a league where only 7-10 teams have a shot to win?

Say what you want about the NFL, but they figured out how to have parity, which no other league has done.

This is a really good post. I had a discussion with a co worker about the same thing. 

I dont think its as high as 7, honestly, that could win it in the NBA, I really dont. 

You can see the parity in the lines each Sunday.. soooo many 2-5pt lines. These games margin for error is so close. 

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Right now this is the order of my preference of watching when it comes to sports.

College basketball

NFL

MLB

College football

Major golf tournaments

NBA

JSMH.  No High School sports on your list?  Indiana HS basketball is as good as it gets.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My problem with the NBA and maybe pro sprts in General is th entitlement that the players show today.  With the NBA where the players is trying to take over the league and run it just rubs me the wrong way.  I hate seeing players forcing trades to just play with one of their friends.  As for the NBA I just don't enjoy that brand of basketball where it is all ick and roll and guys going one on one.  What is bothered me that is coming down tot he college and high school games as well.  Basketball use to be a game of beauty with players moving and the ball moving freely.

You know, I always hear "it's the players game."

No it's not...It's the FAN'S game. Without us, in ALL sports, it's just men and women playing youth sports...

We're all here mainly because of Indiana University basketball...How many players have passed through the 57 years I've been an IU fan? Yet, here I am...Same goes for the Bears, Cubs, Pacers, and before the Pacers the Boston Celtics...

While I marvel at the athleticism and dexterity superior athletes possess, watching them is not something I cannot do without. Plenty of other things I can spend my time (and money) on...

Speaking of, the last time I went to a pro sporting event (Cubs Astros baseball game) I spent over $400 all told...

Better things to do with that...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You know, I always hear "it's the players game."

No it's not...It's the FAN'S game. Without us, in ALL sports, it's just men and women playing youth sports...

We're all here mainly because of Indiana University basketball...How many players have passed through the 57 years I've been an IU fan? Yet, here I am...Same goes for the Bears, Cubs, Pacers, and before the Pacers the Boston Celtics...

While I marvel at the athleticism and dexterity superior athletes possess, watching them is not something I cannot do without. Plenty of other things I can spend my time (and money) on...

Speaking of, the last time I went to a pro sporting event (Cubs Astros baseball game) I spent over $400 all told...

Better things to do with that...

I think the last NBA game I went to was a Pacers/Cavs playoff game that my son bought us tickets for.

Archived