The state of the NBA (and other major professional sports)

FKIM01

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

It’s actually not even a profit share, I am pretty sure it is based on revenue. 

To imply this is a typical working arrangement is just so far from the mark. 

Players salary comes from Revenue sharing which is fine. What i don't like is that the players think they run the league and should have a say in who is coach or where they play.  If you are a free agent go where ever you want to but if you are under contract play for that team.  I hate seeing how PG and maybe now VO is putting the Pacers in a corner and feel like they have to trade a player that they want to keep.

29 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am on both sides of the fence on this.

I agree that the players should have some share of “the pie.” They are the product, but the revenue produced is based on the quality of said product.

On the other hand, the players are just employees in the aspect that they should not be dictating who the head coach is (Lebron) what teammates are brought in, or frankly, what the franchise represents. 

Should have looked at this post before I posted since it was about the same

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't watch teams play because of individual players. I watch MY teams play because they've been my team since I was a kid.

Players come and go...

Yeah I get you but of course players come and go, along with coaches on college teams too. I generally don’t follow players around — PG is the exception for me. Always been a Pacers fan but Bird’s stupid player moves pissed me off on the P’s for a bit. 

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

If anyone else wants to name a group of employees who can walk into their bosses’s office and ask for a 50% profit share (which they have) and whose profit model is entirely about watching those employees work, feel free. 

This is fair HF but you’re dismissing Scott’s (and my) point out of hand. Players deserve power, fans pay to see them play, and ownership under-paying players was once a problem. But there’s a pendulum here imo and it’s swung too far. Players don’t deserve ALL the power and they’re close to it. Basketball is a team sport, many fans still follow their team, or try to. Can’t do that when players can jump all over and RE-tool entire rosters (ahem, Lakers, what a joke) over night, along with getting their coaches fired. Sorry it’s not all about the player 

Edit - I see you agreed Steub’s post was fairly new nuanced

A lot of good points made so far. Personally I still like pro sports but I find it challenging to watch games played in empty or near empty venues. It has made it tough for me to watch NBA, NHL and MLB games. My love of football keeps me going for the NFL. Not a fan of the fake crowd noise they pump in on broadcasts though.

27 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Another issue.

i am posting this now at almost 10:15 EST. 

It is only the bottom of the 5th in the Yankees-Rays game. I won’t be able to stay up to see the end of the game.

Wonder how MLB plans to market to kids who may never see the end of a playoff/series game?

Another problem is the games are just absurdly long. Earlier this decade, when the Tigers were actually good and made the playoffs, I never watched an entire playoff game start to finish. I just can't stay glued to a TV for that long. 

53 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Another issue.

i am posting this now at almost 10:15 EST. 

It is only the bottom of the 5th in the Yankees-Rays game. I won’t be able to stay up to see the end of the game.

Wonder how MLB plans to market to kids who may never see the end of a playoff/series game?

One problem is how many pitching changes there are in a game.  Also when there are so many K's and walks mean alit more pitches are thrown.  All of this makes the game drag on longer. 

27 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Another problem is the games are just absurdly long. Earlier this decade, when the Tigers were actually good and made the playoffs, I never watched an entire playoff game start to finish. I just can't stay glued to a TV for that long. 

If I am really interested in something I have no problem watching for a long period of time.  During the tournament I make sure I pretty much watch all the games especially the first four days of the tournament.

Another thing about the NBA that I can't stand is all the whining after every call.

Also in the fourth quarter tonight Lebron tried to be tough after he thought he was fouled to hard. Those two fouls were not a hard foul st all and I was fouled harder in pickup games.  I guess he never heard if no layups especially in the playoffs.  I would love to see LeBron's reaction if he got in the face of Mahorn or Lambier because they would lay him out.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing about the NBA that I can't stand is all the whining after every call.

Also in the fourth quarter tonight Lebron tried to be tough after he thought he was fouled to hard. Those two fouls were not a hard foul st all and I was fouled harder in pickup games.  I guess he never heard if no layups especially in the playoffs.  I would love to see LeBron's reaction if he got in the face of Mahorn or Lambier because they would lay him out.

Izzo says hello. Or K. Or ... many college coaches. NBA players get fined if f they pull too much bs with the refs. No NBA coach whines like Izzo. Come on now Scott we know you bash the NBA any chance given, lol, but man that is some serious irony. The level of coach whining in college, and the ridiculous pull some college coaches have, is just pathetic. Remember Bo? Thank God he’s gone 

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

BaCk iN ThE 90'S nBA, yOu HAd tO WoRK fOr EveRY PoInt yOu GoT!

(caution: language)

12 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Izzo says hello. Or K. Or ... many college coaches. NBA players get fined if f they pull too much bs with the refs. No NBA coach whines like Izzo. Come on now Scott we know you bash the NBA any chance given, lol, but man that is some serious irony. The level of coach whining in college, and the ridiculous pull some college coaches have, is just pathetic. Remember Bo? Thank God he’s gone 

I am talking about players and not coaches. It is the coaches job to work the officials and the players play

19 hours ago, btownqb said:

If the MLB goes back to a different playoff format than this they'd be fools. 

I'm kinda torn...I think playing all 3 games in a row at the higher seed's place is ok, but you'd better have a deep starting staff...Back in the day, in a short series you'd see 3 starters...I know that's changed some, but with an additional layer of playoffs like that, the 4 and 5 slots would get more action...

If they do, some concessions will have to be made...Like going back to a 154 game regular season schedule...

Trying to fit another 2 out of 3 round playoff into the current start/stop regular season dates would have teams playing into mid November...The northern tier teams would have crappy weather...

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am talking about Ayers shin ng and not coaches. It is the coaches job to work the officials and the players pkay

Oh I hear you on player whining but then unlike college kids these are professional athletes and we all know how bad the officiating can be. Put yourself in their shoes -- you're a professional, you're competing to win, and the refs are calling bogus fouls and completely missing them. Some people are going to complain, and it's really not surprising. When it's over the top it's annoying, but there's a fair amount that's justified.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh I hear you on player whining but then unlike college kids these are professional athletes and we all know how bad the officiating can be. Put yourself in their shoes -- you're a professional, you're competing to win, and the refs are calling bogus fouls and completely missing them. Some people are going to complain, and it's really not surprising. When it's over the top it's annoying, but there's a fair amount that's justified.

I understand some of it but it is after every foul called and it just gets tiring.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd like to find a good bar chart for overall rating by season, but thus far, I'm striking out.  Here's some good ratings history for the NBA finals though...

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-finals-ratings-viewership-history/

Game 7 in 1988...21.2.  Man would the NBA kill to have ratings like that today...

Weren’t the games back then on tape delay?

53 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd like to find a good bar chart for overall rating by season, but thus far, I'm striking out.  Here's some good ratings history for the NBA finals though...

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-finals-ratings-viewership-history/

Game 7 in 1988...21.2.  Man would the NBA kill to have ratings like that today...

What I got from that is nobody wants to watch the Spurs

I might be more sympathetic to the players if they weren't making ridiculous salaries as the stars of their sports.  If the players want more control over their lives within a system, they need to work it so their contracts state it.  If team doesn't want to sign you then you don't play.  They have the power at their fingertips.  All they have to do is have every player have what they want in their next contract and refuse to play if they don't get it.  But, they won't.  They want the 200mi contracts and then have the ability to do whatever they want.  That is not how any business works. 

NBA or Dairy Queen.  You're hired and paid a wage based on your ability to perform and deliver.  The better you are the more you earn and the more power you have.  But unlike Dairy Queen, a professional sports athlete can dictate how much power he has based on his ability to negotiate a contract.  

But again, they won't do it because its all about the individual and they eventually cave to either not being signed for overreaching or from thinking on about themselves (which they should in the way it works today).  But if they want to truly change the power structure, its not about walking into the front office and demanding it, its about taking bit by bit, contract after contract.  It requires them to work together for the benefit of the all instead of the one.  

Archived