One time transfer rule ....

Wasn't sure where to put this, as it applies to multiple sports, but as this forum gets the most traffic I decided to post here.

If this goes through, athletes in all sports will have the ability to transfer schools once in their college careers with no strings attached.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-rankings-lsu-mississippi-state-losses-see-sec-west-teams-tumble-in-cbs-sports-76/

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i am completely ok with a student being able to transfer 1 time free without having ot sit out.  You just never know if you picked the wrong school, the wrong coach, or would rather be closer to home/friends/family

I'm ok with it as well but my biggest concern is the smaller schools or even stars on bad P5 teams will just be a feeding ground for the bigger schools/better teams. I still think greater good applies though. Everyone gets 1 freebie. After that you sit out a year no matter what. I wouldn't mind if they attached some sort of academic angle to it i.e. minimum gpa or something.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm ok with it as well but my biggest concern is the smaller schools or even stars on bad P5 teams will just be a feeding ground for the bigger schools/better teams. I still think greater good applies though. Everyone gets 1 freebie. After that you sit out a year no matter what. I wouldn't mind if they attached some sort of academic angle to it i.e. minimum gpa or something.

I agree with all of that, but just think about how unfair the current system is. You go to a small school, likely because the big schools don't think you're good enough, you prove that you are good enough (or you work your butt off until you become good enough), now the big schools want you, but you still don't get to go unless you decide to take a year off from your life. 

As a practical matter, I wonder if it might end up creating more parity within the P5. I could see a lot of guys that would in the past be key bench players at UNC as juniors or seniors want to go to Wake Forrest and have a chance to start. P5 schools, of all stripes, will likely be able to fill gaps in their roster easier than in the past too, so we might see more complete teams because of this. As someone who doesn't root for any smaller schools, I like this from all angles.

I would hope that if they implement this, it's only available after the season ends, until the next season starts, or a similar time frame window. I would hate to see guys be able to transfer at the end of mid-year semester, or worse yet, mid season.

5 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I agree with all of that, but just think about how unfair the current system is. You go to a small school, likely because the big schools don't think you're good enough, you prove that you are good enough (or you work your butt off until you become good enough), now the big schools want you, but you still don't get to go unless you decide to take a year off from your life. 

As a practical matter, I wonder if it might end up creating more parity within the P5. I could see a lot of guys that would in the past be key bench players at UNC as juniors or seniors want to go to Wake Forrest and have a chance to start. P5 schools, of all stripes, will likely be able to fill gaps in their roster easier than in the past too, so we might see more complete teams because of this. As someone who doesn't root for any smaller schools, I like this from all angles.

I never really thought about it this way but yeah, i could see this happening.  I could even see kids hitting mid majors for 2 years and then moving up to a power 5.  It could hurt the smaller schools, but it could also afford them the ability to change how they recruit.  Be the feeder school.  The come here and we'll get you to a power 5 school by your junior year.

Archived