Give CuJo's open scholly to McRoberts for the second semester ?

milehiiu

31 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Not saying he hasn’t earned it, but if we gave him a scholly, wouldn’t that only leave us with one open scholly for the ‘19 class assuming we get Romeo for next year?  If that’s the case, would you give him the scholly over TJD and Keion Brooks? Playing devils advocate.

There is nothing wrong with giving him a scholarship for the second semester, with the understanding that it is just for the second semester. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, ephul said:

Yeah because 9 rebounds, a handful of assists and the biggest play of the game against a top ranked team is meaningless. I don't give a $hit if he doesn't score. He provided stellar defense and more meaningful minutes in 1 game than half our scholarship players all year

That is 1 game.  My original b post said to wait and see.  Look at his stats.  I am not saying we might not give him one.  But maybe not jump the gun.  Just like giving coach crean a 10 year extension after 1 good season.

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t mean this as part of the scholarship discussion, just a general point, but how amazing would it be if he could develop a consistent 3-pt shot? Even just a baseline 3 that he can hit when the ball reverses. It would add so much to this team. 

My point on another post.  We can't have guy who doesn't ever score.  He needs to have confidence to shoot when open.  All he ever does is pass, which isn't what bad but he needs to at least make then respect him defensively

5 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

IMO, if you give it to him, you don’t take it away

Knight took several scholarships away when he was HC.  And won NC's when he did.  And guys still stayed on the team.  One, Knight had a change of heart with....year's later, and reimbursed the family. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

If you ask his parents they may say differently.  Tuition is not cheap and I feel it sets a great precedent in the locker room.  U want kids to give their all then u put your money where your mouth is.  Any player that's in the rotation deserves to be on scholarship

If we can give a lot of credit to CAN for being a great coach and getting so much out of a walk on, then why not reward the walk on

My point was that there would be no benefit in waiting to give him Priller’s scholarship if Archie decides to give him one.  I think he’s definitely earned a scholly with his play, but Archie knows what’s best for the long term direction of the program.  Depending on how the 2018 and 2019 classes are shaping up, it might be best to keep it open.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That is 1 game.  My original b post said to wait and see.  Look at his stats.  I am not saying we might not give him one.  But maybe not jump the gun.  Just like giving coach crean a 10 year extension after 1 good season.

Mcroberts is a fundamental, solid player. I don't care if he goes 0 for 0 with 2 rebounds and 1 assist. He always plays solid defense and hustles. Well worth a scholarship on this current team 

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

My point was that there would be no benefit in waiting to give him Priller’s scholarship if Archie decides to give him one.  I think he’s definitely earned a scholly with his play, but Archie knows what’s best for the long term direction of the program.  Depending on how the 2018 and 2019 classes are shaping up, it might be best to keep it open.

Very valid and I agree in that line of thinking

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My point on another post.  We can't have guy who doesn't ever score.  He needs to have confidence to shoot when open.  All he ever does is pass, which isn't what bad but he needs to at least make then respect him defensively

They do. They have to be aware and ready for him to hit the offensive glass 

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

If you do that which would be ok.  You officially give him a full ride since IU honors the scholarship

This has nothing to do with the Student Athlete Bill of Rights. He wasnt recruited as a schoalrship athlete, it's rewarding a kid for hard work and good play. 

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

He has made a positive impact for the past 6 or so games. None as big as yesterday, but he has been solid playing double digit minutes for half the season now. 

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don’t mean this as part of the scholarship discussion, just a general point, but how amazing would it be if he could develop a consistent 3-pt shot? Even just a baseline 3 that he can hit when the ball reverses. It would add so much to this team. 

I know he's 0 for forever....but he's got a good looking shot. I think for him to start to be able to "develop" an outside shot he's going to have to start taking them because its hard to get the confidence behind it if you only take one shot every other game. 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

If you give it to him for second semester, he gets it permanently. It’s not going to be stripped next year, bad optics. Can’t give him the scholly for that reason. 

Is that a rule? If not, you just state very clearly that it's for a semester because of the unique circumstance with one coming open. There aren't any optics problems with that. 

Historically, we’ve let players occupy an open scholly temporarily, under circumstances everyone understood, i.e., you’re just filling a temporary spot.  

It would be worse optics IMO to leave a scholly unused when a kid busted his rear end and could have used it even temporarily.  It would defy common sense and would lead to an ill-conceived outcome if you leave the scholly open because you’re worried about taking him off the next year.  

Zach came here as a student, then later joined the team with an express understanding he’d be a walk-on.  I’m sure Archie and Glass will work it out.  

It’s not like we are kicking Priller off to let McRoberts have his scholly since he contributes to the team.  That might be bad optics.  That’s not the situation here.  

This happens a lot in college basketball.  A walk-on gets a scholarship that suddenly opens up.  there is NO guarantee that it is a permanent situation.   You simply tell him that he gets it for the second semester with no guarantees beyond that.  His family would appreciate saving on a semester of tuition. 

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This happens a lot in college basketball.  A walk-on gets a scholarship that suddenly opens up.  there is NO guarantee that it is a permanent situation.   You simply tell him that he gets it for the second semester with no guarantees beyond that.  His family would appreciate saving on a semester of tuition. 

Not doubting you, but can you name a specific example of this happening recently?  I assumed DJ was right, and that the optics would prevent Archie from yanking the scholly at the end of the year.  But if it happens all the time, I don’t see any reason not to give it to him.

I don't know if he deserves a scholarship or not. But I would prefer to use it a new recruit next year or this year if someone opens up or even a transfer that fits the CAM program.  If at end of the recruiting cycle we have one.  Then give it to him.  I am not bashing the kids or putting him down.  I just want to make sure we use our scholarships wisely

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not doubting you, but can you name a specific example of this happening recently?  I assumed DJ was right, and that the optics would prevent Archie from yanking the scholly at the end of the year.  But if it happens all the time, I don’t see any reason not to give it to him.

Kyle Kuric walked on at U of L, got a scholarship afterwards, and then ended up having to give it up prior to his senior AFTER leading the team in scoring.  Chris Smith, who was also on that team, also was asked to give up his scholarship.  

Both families were financially secure enough that going back to walk-on status was not a huge financial burden  Kuric's dad was a neurosurgeon, and Smith's brother was an NBA player (much as is the case with McRoberts).

http://www.collegebasketball.ap.org/article/kuric-smith-walk-help-louisville-win

I don't know about the McRoberts family.  But, if Archie approached me and told me my son would receive a scholarship, but it possibly would only be for one semester, though he would certainly be welcomed back next year as a walk-on if a scholarship was no longer available. I would have no problem with that.  

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kyle Kuric walked on at U of L, got a scholarship afterwards, and then ended up having to give it up prior to his senior AFTER leading the team in scoring.  Chris Smith, who was also on that team, also was asked to give up his scholarship.  

Both families were financially secure enough that going back to walk-on status was not a huge financial burden  Kuric's dad was a neurosurgeon, and Smith's brother was an NBA player (much as is the case with McRoberts).

http://www.collegebasketball.ap.org/article/kuric-smith-walk-help-louisville-win

Thanks for the info (even if it was Slick Rick doing that, haha).  But knowing that it’s a relatively common occurrence, I hope McRoberts gets the scholarship this semester.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't know if he deserves a scholarship or not. But I would prefer to use it a new recruit next year or this year if someone opens up or even a transfer that fits the CAM program.  If at end of the recruiting cycle we have one.  Then give it to him.  I am not bashing the kids or putting him down.  I just want to make sure we use our scholarships wisely

You're joking, right? He was the second best player in our biggest win of the year and we have an open schoalrship? He's established himself as a very solid rotation guy. By what measure has he not earned it for next semester?

Archived