Give CuJo's open scholly to McRoberts for the second semester ?

milehiiu

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I don't know about the McRoberts family.  But, if Archie approached me and told me my son would receive a scholarship, but it possibly would only be for one semester, though he would certainly be welcomed back next year as a walk-on if a scholarship was no longer available. I would have no problem with that.  

One thing I do know... McRoberts was academic all-Big Ten last year. It’s possible he’s on a nice academic scholarship already. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You're joking, right? He was the second best player in our biggest win of the year and we have an open schoalrship? He's established himself as a very solid rotation guy. By what measure has he not earned it for next semester?

Again i am not putting down his 1 big game.  But lets not make mountains out of mole hills. FFS, he has had 1 great game otherwise has averaged 8 minutes for all the others while averaging 1.1 points.  Its the F'ing Colin Hartman conversation all over again.  Yes he brings the intangibles and energy.  But i would rather play the season out and see if he continues to get better and have these kind of games.  If he does, the by all means give him one. If not, we have a scholarship to put toward someone who is going help win the next national title.  

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

image.png.582e8b6f1c9c73de4f13743cc7503941.png

image.png.ccf657711d0c0af45e4f7bcd82a99922.png

Zack McRoberts stats to this point in the season.  Not that he didn't have a great game but these are not stats at this point to give a kid a scholarship to IU.  I am sorry, but i want better.  And yes you need kids like this on your team to win big games.

You need kids like this to win big games, but you don't want him on scholarship? I'm confused.

17 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Again i am not putting down his 1 big game.  But lets not make mountains out of mole hills. FFS, he has had 1 great game otherwise has averaged 8 minutes for all the others while averaging 1.1 points.  Its the F'ing Colin Hartman conversation all over again.  Yes he brings the intangibles and energy.  But i would rather play the season out and see if he continues to get better and have these kind of games.  If he does, the by all means give him one. If not, we have a scholarship to put toward someone who is going help win the next national title.  

During the post game interview, CAM stated, as soon as McRoberts name was brought up, that he was just a winner... all he really wanted to say about him. He wins. I'm not really sure why you think stats will show you everything you need to know about a player? It's just simply not how sports work. ZM makes winning plays. The fact you can't see he and CHs value is somewhat disturbing. 

35 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

What are you not understanding about this discussion? No one is advocating he gets a long term scholarship at this point, but why shouldn't he have the vacant scholarship for the rest of the year? 

And you cherry picked his stats. Go look at his MPG over the five games stretch, they were double digits. He become a rotation guy at the hardest part of our schedule, does that not tell you anything?

The fact that IU shouldn't "need" McBob to score for him to earn a temporary scholarship or lament his contributions on the court thus earning more playing time has been thoroughly explained so I wont get into that again but if anyone (this is you Iowa) thinks for a second that given more minutes McBob would be a liability on offense is completely insane. He's not a bad shooter, he gets offensive rebounds and is athletic enough to get put backs. Just because he hasn't shown it, yet, on the floor doesn't mean he's not capable. He's not some 7 foot project from a foreign country who's only played the game for the past 3 years. He grew up playing ball his entire life having a bigger brother who was bigger and has NBA talent. I'd bet anything the kid can put the ball in the basket if he gets 15+ minutes a game and gets open looks. Walk on or not, I'd welcome any team to leave him wide open and find that out the hard way. In the meantime he's doing exactly what the team needs him to do in order to be successful. 

30 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

The fact that IU shouldn't "need" McBob to score for him to earn a temporary scholarship or lament his contributions on the court thus earning more playing time has been thoroughly explained so I wont get into that again but if anyone (this is you Iowa) thinks for a second that given more minutes McBob would be a liability on offense is completely insane. He's not a bad shooter, he gets offensive rebounds and is athletic enough to get put backs. Just because he hasn't shown it, yet, on the floor doesn't mean he's not capable. He's not some 7 foot project from a foreign country who's only played the game for the past 3 years. He grew up playing ball his entire life having a bigger brother who was bigger and has NBA talent. I'd bet anything the kid can put the ball in the basket if he gets 15+ minutes a game and gets open looks. Walk on or not, I'd welcome any team to leave him wide open and find that out the hard way. In the meantime he's doing exactly what the team needs him to do in order to be successful. 

This is a good point. He actually is a decent enough shooter. He hit 4/12 last year and hit a better percentage his freshman year at Vermont (as a D1 scholarship player). 

11 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not doubting you, but can you name a specific example of this happening recently?  I assumed DJ was right, and that the optics would prevent Archie from yanking the scholly at the end of the year.  But if it happens all the time, I don’t see any reason not to give it to him.

The kid at UL that was from Southern part of Indiana started as a walk on then got a scholarship for one year then the he went back to a walk on.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Zack McRoberts stats to this point in the season.  Not that he didn't have a great game but these are not stats at this point to give a kid a scholarship to IU.  I am sorry, but i want better.  And yes you need kids like this on your team to win big games.

You have to look at other things besides stats to see how he effects the game.  Everybody on the court doesn't need to be a big scoring threat to influence a game.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I'll see you standard stats and raise you some +/- stats:

<script type="text/javascript" src="//widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=cbb&url=%2Fcbb%2Fschools%2Findiana%2F2018.html&div=div_advanced"></script>

*Zack has the 3rd best BPM at +4.9 points

EDIT: dangit. I didn't embed that right and can't figure it out (maybe a mod can help me out). But you can take my word for it......he's 3rd on the team in +/-.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

That settles that. 

Someone should have told Beilein he can't award a walkon with a second semester scholarship, as he did with Andrew Dakich.

Michigan awards walk-on reserve Andrew Dakich scholarship for second semester

Or the Boston College coach too.

Watch a BC walk-on receive a basketball scholarship just in time for Christmas

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Someone should have told Beilein he can't award a walkon with a second semester scholarship, as he did with Andrew Dakich.

Michigan awards walk-on reserve Andrew Dakich scholarship for second semester

Or the Boston College coach too.

Watch a BC walk-on receive a basketball scholarship just in time for Christmas

I don't believe in either of those situations the 13th scholarship was already being used for that season. In our situation, Jones had claimed that scholarship for the year and according to Osterman it doesn't become available again just because he stops using it.  Zach very well may be wrong, but those situations don't prove it so.  

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't believe in either of those situations the 13th scholarship was already being used for that season. In our situation, Jones had claimed that scholarship for the year and according to Osterman it doesn't become available again just because he stops using it.  Zach very well may be wrong, but those situations don't prove it so.  

He does say "mid-semester"  so he may not be able to get it right now...but in a few weeks when the next semester starts he might???  

26 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

He does say "mid-semester"  so he may not be able to get it right now...but in a few weeks when the next semester starts he might???  

According to Zach, the 13th scholarship can only be awarded once annually and it was awarded to Curtis Jones for this year. Zach could be wrong, but logically it makes sense and is different than guys getting a scholarship that had never been awarded. 

32 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, both of those situations they had the scholarship available from the beginning of the year. Not the same.

Archived