Michigan

btownqb

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michigan doesn't do a ton of down the field stuff, or at least from what they've shown in two weeks. 

They do an excellent job of getting their athletes in space for YAC, which I love. Lots of drags behind the line of scrimmage/quick outs, etc. Recognizing those plays and open field tackling will be huge Saturday. 

Big Ten

play

1:31

Arkansas and Indiana changing the culture of their football programs

An all-access wired look at how Arkansas and Indiana are changing the culture around their football programs with new coaches at the helm.

We learned quite a bit in two weeks of Big Ten play. Michigan's struggles against Michigan State and Minnesota's second loss of the season tells us a lot about both of those programs.

Northwestern and Indiana are both off to 2-0 starts, revealing they are both improved from last season.

If there is any constant in the conference right now, it's Ohio State. The Buckeyes beat Penn State on the road, and quarterback Justin Fields looks even better than he did a year ago.

Here are your latest Big Ten power rankings:

1. Ohio State
2. Wisconsin
3. Indiana
4. Penn State
5. Northwestern
6. Michigan State
7. Purdue
8. Michigan
9. Iowa
10. Nebraska
11. Maryland
12. Rutgers
13. Minnesota
14. Illinois

From ESPN

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Big Ten

play

1:31

Arkansas and Indiana changing the culture of their football programs

An all-access wired look at how Arkansas and Indiana are changing the culture around their football programs with new coaches at the helm.

We learned quite a bit in two weeks of Big Ten play. Michigan's struggles against Michigan State and Minnesota's second loss of the season tells us a lot about both of those programs.

Northwestern and Indiana are both off to 2-0 starts, revealing they are both improved from last season.

If there is any constant in the conference right now, it's Ohio State. The Buckeyes beat Penn State on the road, and quarterback Justin Fields looks even better than he did a year ago.

Here are your latest Big Ten power rankings:

1. Ohio State
2. Wisconsin
3. Indiana
4. Penn State
5. Northwestern
6. Michigan State
7. Purdue
8. Michigan
9. Iowa
10. Nebraska
11. Maryland
12. Rutgers
13. Minnesota
14. Illinois

Illinois last, lol. Poor Lovie.

Order seems about right to me at this stage. Rutgers might end up a little higher.

I haven't seen much of Michigan play this year, buy if their secondary is as bad as everyone is saying, I hope we don't mess around with the run too much if it isn't working.

We obviously need to run some, but I hope we test their DBs early and often to try to put them on their heels.

Also, this is a game where we can't worry about Penix getting hurt. He has to keep it a few times and get yards with his feet to open other things up.

31 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I haven't seen much of Michigan play this year, buy if their secondary is as bad as everyone is saying, I hope we don't mess around with the run too much if it isn't working.

We obviously need to run some, but I hope we test their DBs early and often to try to put them on their heels.

Also, this is a game where we can't worry about Penix getting hurt. He has to keep it a few times and get yards with his feet to open other things up.

Sparty threw the ball 32 times...ran 38 times.

This is my take....Michigan was puffed up and over confident after smashing Minnesota in week 1. They overlooked Michigan St., a team that played above their talent level. The Spartans played their in state rival with a chip on their shoulder, minus 100k fans in the big house. Michigan got out coached and exposed. 
Guys... be prepared, Michigan is gonna come to Indiana Saturday with a chip on THEIR shoulder ready to hush all the negativity IMHO.  

CTA and Company need to be smart, stay within themselves and prepare for a dog fight! IU needs to come out hard, establish strength, toughness and quickness from the opening whistle. We need to put Michigan on their heels early.

22 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

This is my take....Michigan was puffed up and over confident after smashing Minnesota in week 1. They overlooked Michigan St., a team that played above their talent level. The Spartans played their in state rival with a chip on their shoulder, minus 100k fans in the big house. Michigan got out coached and exposed. 
Guys... be prepared, Michigan is gonna come to Indiana Saturday with a chip on THEIR shoulder ready to hush all the negativity IMHO.  

CTA and Company need to be smart, stay within themselves and prepare for a dog fight! IU needs to come out hard, establish strength, toughness and quickness from the opening whistle. We need to put Michigan on their heels early.

Yep, and take a very close look at what Sparty did.

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Need our best performance.  Tough defense and confident offense.  Penix passing to all his targets and some success from Stevie and Sampson.  Let's go O-line!!

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I really feel like we will have to be able to establish the run and then air it out on a questionable secondary. Have to be disciplined on Def and keep the QB in the pocket. I like our chances but think it will be decided by a late game TO or a big place. IU 27-24

Offense must be much better with 3rd down conversions. Only 6 for 24 in first two games. Puts way too much pressure on the D

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I really feel like we will have to be able to establish the run and then air it out on a questionable secondary. Have to be disciplined on Def and keep the QB in the pocket. I like our chances but think it will be decided by a late game TO or a big place. IU 27-24

I wouldn't worry about our "O".  The "D" is what I am concerned about.

Archived