Michigan

btownqb

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@The Daily Hoosier mentioned on Twitter that we won't be wearing our camo jerseys now? 

Something to do with color contrast. I know I'm in the minority here but here me out. I love the military and everything it stands for....but tomorrow is an opportunity for IU red rolling on national TV at high noon vs Michigan. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Something to do with color contrast. I know I'm in the minority here but here me out. I love the military and everything it stands for....but tomorrow is an opportunity for IU red rolling on national TV at high noon vs Michigan. 

Meh. 

It is what it is.. but if UM is the reason behind this, I hope we beat them senseless. 

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

People would have freaked out because what I saw was that there were no names on the back of the jersey.

I usually keep hush on listing stats and state the takeaway from them (per my style). That was behind my prior post stating I have "nothing useful" to add:

For those worried, the totality of it is IU is running a positive margin in plays in the backfield.

After 2 games here are what the numbers say:

IU vs PSU- 

TFL by : 6

TFL against: 6

QB hurries by: 2 

QB hurries against: 1

IU vs RU-

TFL by: 8

TFL against: 7

QB hurries by: 6

QB hurries against: 3

I came away feeling as if the numbers support the need for the line to focus better on locating rushers and maintaining blocks to get more runners in the 2nd level of the defense. The line will need to play all around better up front but it has not been as bad in the context of how each of the first two games fit in the big picture.A top 10 game and a letdown "trap" game.IMO

IU also generaly controlled play for the majority of both games on the scoreboard where it matters.I think that is where latent potential for a blowout win exist as guys up front SETTLE further into new roles.Same with the guy calling the offense.They appeared to settle in almost right after I stated that I thought that was what they needed against RU.

Our runs just aren't going as far past the LOS as would be desired and some can be attributed to fairlyconservative/predictable playcalling as well as execution.

WRs could still hang on to more balls and Penix Jr could be more accurate.Both might help take pressure off the offensive line. That is evidenced by Yards per play , Yards per carry , and Yards per catch being low. To me the defense has bailed them ot with short fields but for all of the grief on 1st and 3rd down IU is perfect in the RZ and scroing mostly Touchdowns.IU is also killing it on 2nd downs whoch have saw the highest average gains but for us to see more manageable short 3rd downs it will require better first down production.Fortunately Indiana has the luxury of spreading the ball around between run and pass and QB choice plays.

More deaigned runs to take advantage of Penix threat using his legs both running and throwing on the run.Those are areas that play to his individual strengths. It takes the demonstrated courage of less conservative calls. A little trickery would not be bad in a game of high stakes like tomorrow's ranked clash carries.

It is totally rational to open it up a bit more on offense since that is when Indiana has actually fared well.

Time for Sheridan to call the game like he's been OC before: To a degree of improvement one would expect for a 3rd game on the job amd 2nd game with high emotional stakes going in tomorrow.A flat early effort would be a bummer but 

Both RBs have blocked decent in the passing game.

My gut still tells me getting James more touches might prove beneficial in doing more to keep opponents guessing since his YPC is 4.6 however on far fewer carries than Scott.More Sampson please.As would more play action calls on downs that look like runs.The line blocking better would presumably allow the backs to be freed up to do more damage. Guys need to catch the ball better as well and that improved last Saturday.Needs to continue that upward trend.

I feel PSU was an unusually tough opener amd Rutgers for all of the respect they are starting to garner was still a letdown game because reality is it was sandwiched between PSU and UM not to mention the emotional highs of the PSU win.It was new territory bbut the nunbers overall still show a team doing more disrupting in opposing backfields than they have allowed.It should come down to IU need more plays upfield and RU had the luxury of keying on a WR corps without Marshall and they were very confident keyibg on Scott and made no secret whatsoever.How will Sheridan adjust if UM does it again? I stand by my analysis but we will see tomorrow.

Bottom for IU will be to stick to what is working , grow maybe a little more balls on the calls and execute better in the trenches with kids who have the ability as they hopefully settle in more .Maybe even start to gel when the motivation should be easy to find tocgo hard all game  tomorrow after 24 straight defeats..Plus tear into Milton and get in his gead with a dominant defense like they have msotly been so far espexially when they have been forced to bend repeatedly.Why should we think we cant count on takeaways if they do their jobs on that side? 

Bottom for IU will be to stick to what is working , grow maybe a little more balls on the calls and execute better in the trenches with kids who have the ability as they hopefully settle in more .Maybe even start to gel when the motivation should be easy to find tocgo hard all game  tomorrow after 24 straight defeats..Hars to make a living relying on 2nd and longs without good blocking.Not going to lie the issues opponents have had stopping IU also show up in comparing penalty yards.Despite what I noticed as plenty of no calls.those are just inconclusive since penalties bail oht teams that pose a tough match up but are not executig as well as IU is capable of.They passed for an average ober 65 pct last season.This offensive group under Sheridan , DeBoer or otherwise is totally capable of a convincing win especially if aided by the defense which could benefit from more sustained offensive possessions,  but calls need to look more like DeBoer amd less like DeBord.When we see better execution I feel like the rest comes together as a result of the variety of challening match ups IU presents.IU has looked the part of one of the more "contained" underachieving  30+ ppg offenses Ive ever saw at Indiana  after 2 games.They are allowing mostly "team defense" to contain them and need to create more one on ones to exploit.

Imo defense is winning the games.  They are spending too much time on the field. Defense has been solid. 

@jblaz13 agree with your assessment.  We have to open up the ground game. Quit trying to pound it up the middle like its 1945. Is DeBord our OC again? JK

Run some reads and maybe some screens. Stevie does really well catching passes in the flats and getting yardage from what I've seen. 

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Imo defense is winning the games.  They are spending too much time on the field. Defense has been solid. 

@jblaz13 agree with your assessment.  We have to open up the ground game. Quit trying to pound it up the middle like its 1945. Is DeBord our OC again? JK

Run some reads and maybe some screens. Stevie does really well catching passes in the flats and getting yardage from what I've seen. 

Just to be clear.. we have an inside zone, and an outside zone. 

No where in our offense are we suppose to just pound it up the middle. 

There have been zero issues with Sheridan. He can't get creative because the OL has been so poor, so far. 

Archived