HCTA

They mentioned during the game that Thomas Allen was already working with some of the graduate assistants and that he wants to get into coaching.  I wonder if we might start grooming him to be the DC in a handful of years.  Spend a couple years as a GA, move to LB coach for a few, and be DC at around 30 years old.  Could start a family of coaching similar to the Wommacks.

• Like 6

On 11/21/2020 at 10:21 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

This has been a f#%&ed up year.

LEO is a message that should resonate across the country and not be limited to IU football.

Allen is such an inspiration. 

I don’t know how a parent could turn down the message that Coach conveys. 

I don’t know how a kid could not want to be a part of what CTA is building.

Guess I am a little pie in the sky but I gotta believe that IU football is gonna be a force, both on the field but also for the quality of young men being developed under the leadership of our coaches 

I don’t want this to be political so I’m not going to argue with anyone that doesn’t like my idea but instead of the fist they decided to put on everyone’s jerseys etc they should have just put a LEO patch on....it’s a much more positive message and much more inclusive. That’s my bit. Great job coaching and it’s a great program that anyone should want to send their kid to.

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t want this to be political so I’m not going to argue with anyone that doesn’t like my idea but instead of the fist they decided to put on everyone’s jerseys etc they should have just put a LEO patch on....it’s a much more positive message and much more inclusive. That’s my bit. Great job coaching and it’s a great program that anyone should want to send their kid to.

I gave you a like but wish there was a love (LEO- get it?) option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So do we go 10 year $50-$60M range for Coach? I'd like to leave some money on the table for our coordinators but they'll ultimately probably leave at some point. Only clause I want in contract for Coach Allen is a huge buyout number the first 2-3 years. Love Allen and what he's doing but it still has to be a 2 way commitment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

So do we go 10 year $50-$60M range for Coach? I'd like to leave some money on the table for our coordinators but they'll ultimately probably leave at some point. Only clause I want in contract for Coach Allen is a huge buyout number the first 2-3 years. Love Allen and what he's doing but it still has to be a 2 way commitment.

Allen seems like one of those guys who would turn down an extra million in order to give it to his assistants.  I would guess we'll go to Allen and basically let him tell us what he wants.

I think we have some decent incentives for different accomplishments, but I would like to see some of those upped.  Those almost pay for themselves.  More wins, more fans, more money coming in to pay for the money going out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I think this is reasonable. I would think he would be agreeable to a huge buyout if IU made the commitment to him and his assistants.

• Like 1

Also, I do like the evergreen clause (I think that's what it was called) in his contract that renews him for 1 more year every year we go to a bowl game.  To know that you could coach here forever if you keep winning, and for recruits to always know that he'll be here for their 4 or 5 years will be huge.  It gets really tough when coaches get down to 4 years left.  Then 3, then 2.  Sometimes they get stuck in that phase of not being good enough to get an extension, but not being bad enough to get fired.  I think if we keep treating Allen well, he'll be more than happy to stay here.

Also, he really loves the guys on his teams.  I think it would be really hard for him to leave all of those guys to go somewhere else.  Not saying he wouldn't ever do it, but I think that would weigh heavily on him.

• Like 1

Allen’s agent will get him a big contract...no worries there and he will have earned it. Considering our football history the school could do some other things like naming things after him. Really make him feel like his legacy is tied here. Might be a little early for some of that but at least get it into the conversation that we want this to be his last coaching job.

I mean what is the worst that can happen...we go back to being mediocre? That is still a step up for IU football.

Edited by dgambill

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Allen seems like one of those guys who would turn down an extra million in order to give it to his assistants.  I would guess we'll go to Allen and basically let him tell us what he wants.

I think we have some decent incentives for different accomplishments, but I would like to see some of those upped.  Those almost pay for themselves.  More wins, more fans, more money coming in to pay for the money going out.

Didn't he already do that with some assistants last year with his bowl bonus?