'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Won't mention a former in state player who chose to not choose IU....but hope that Kentucky to the league thing plan is working well. Never will tire of Cal losing home games in preseason. Only problem now is Richmond will have to find a new opponent in coming years. Cal won't do it again. 

Saw a number of posts at RR site mentioning him as in "once we get ketchup back we will be fine".  LOL.  I do enjoy going there after a loss.  You would think that he's some all American Player of the Year candidate.  Sorry boys, he's just ketchup.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Kelvin's problem was never identifying talent or ability to coach. He just needed to learn that dotting the I's and crossing the T's actually matter. Phenomenal coach. 

Brings up an interesting question...

Could he have won at IU with the kind of kids we as a fan base want in our program?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Or maybe everybody's darling from 2 years ago, Chris Beard, was a flash in the pan...

I wouldn’t go that far. I think he is a good coach. Not saying I would take him over Archie or anything but he has a really young team. I think they will be good later in the year and maybe really good next year.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Absolutely. As has been said, off the court was terrible, but on the court he was the best coach we’ve had since RMK. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well he wasn't bringing in the kind of players we wanted to see in his second year

Took the words right out of my mouth, Scottie old boy...

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wouldn’t go that far. I think he is a good coach. Not saying I would take him over Archie or anything but he has a really young team. I think they will be good later in the year and maybe really good next year.

I know there were a few people on this board that wanted to ditch Archie after 2019 for him.

And I wouldn't trade Archie for him ..

3 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Wow Richmond!!

Playing with no fans can be a difference maker. Every game now feels like a glorified pick up game. 

UVA also got beaten by San Francisco. I thought Bill Russell was on the lineup. 

WOW!!

Who da thunk the kittycats would lose again like last year when the Evansville Purple Aces shocked the BBall world and beat them???

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Could he have won at IU with the kind of kids we as a fan base want in our program?

Yes in my opinion. He was just getting started. Would have pivoted to get the good guys but IU admin pulled the plug from a Final 4 team that never allowed it. Not saying I'm a Sampson guy but 30 wins and Multiple Final Fours is what we let go.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well he wasn't bringing in the kind of players we wanted to see in his second year

I think people forget the first person besides Eric Gordon that Kelvin reached out on was Matt Howard from Connersville. Sampson knows basketball talent. Just didn't believe administrations or academia types should be telling him his business.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Absolutely. He’s a heck of an in game coach. Best I’ve seen at iu. Mind you I only remember I couple years of Knight at the end.  But imo Sampson was better in game and had his kids prepared better than Davis, Archie , and crean, with sometimes lesser players.

Edited by Hoosierfan1215

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

He was 24-4 when Sampsongate hit. No, he didn’t recruit student athletes, the team was failing classes etc. But those dudes could play and let’s not forget EJ. Excellent coach, but no concern for academics at all.
The “rules” though were silly, they got him on phone call violations that were legal the next season. He got away from the NCAA ad they came down on Okla, it was a vendetta, and then IU self-reported