The CFP

rico

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wow UC did not even get in the top 6 but Oklahoma did.  These rankings are a joke and it is all about the name on the front of the jersey.

Yep, it's what I posted earlier. If Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State and probably even Iowa or Michigan State had IU's resume this season they would be ranked #6 most likely.

What we expected out of top 4 I guess. I'll say the same thing I said yesterday. Bama absolutely throttles ND. Worse than what Clemson did to them....and I'll say Clemson by double digits over Ohio St. 

National title game toss up right now.

Edit-Bama opens as 20.5 point favorite if that tells you anything.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

What we expected out of top 4 I guess. I'll say the same thing I said yesterday. Bama absolutely throttles ND. Worse than what Clemson did to them....and I'll say Clemson by double digits over Ohio St. 

National title game toss up right now.

Edit-Bama opens as 20.5 point favorite if that tells you anything.

Agreed. I think Bama is going to put a hurting on ND and Clemson is better than O$U...at least by the eye test.

One more thought involving Iowa State, really more about the relative importance of record against ranked opponents.

I believe a win over a ranked team should not be diminished if they fall out of the rankings.  Beating them is a contributor towards why they fell out of the rankings!  Negative momentum becomes a compounding factor impacting the previously ranked team going forward.  It can shake confidence and deflate motivation if the team lacks strong internal leadership.  Sometimes a team's tailspin is a matter of injury attrition.  Winning breeds winning, losing breeds losing.

If you beat a ranked team when they were at full strength, you flat out beat a ranked team.  If that team strings together losses later in the season, that doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the team at the point you beat them.  The inverse is also true.  A win against an unranked team that eventually gets things figured out and rises into the rankings shouldn't automatically be given the same credence as beating a ranked team. 

Penn State is a perfect illustration.  This team entered the season ranked #8 and were considered a CFP contender by a majority of pundits.  They lost their season opener to Indiana by 1 point and if we're honest, we were fortunate to come out of that game with a win.  The next week they lost to Ohio State and dropped to 0-2.  Just 2 games into the season their hope for a shot at the title was gone and it led to a 3 loss tailspin.  They would go on to win their final 4 games.  Were they overrated at #8?  Most certainly.  Were they talented enough to be considered a Top 25 team when they faced Indiana?  Absolutely.  A similar case can be made for preseason #15 Michigan.  As for preseason #16 Wisconsin, a loss to Indiana is the reason they dropped out of the Top 25.

Indiana went 3-1 against ranked opponents and the outcome of their one loss to a CFP Top 4 team wasn't decided until the last minute of the game.

Iowa State went 2-3 against ranked opponents.  One of those losses came at the hands of a Sun Belt team, contributing to the Big 12's 0-3 record against Sun Belt teams this year.  This isn't meant to be a knock on the Sun Belt teams, their conference was genuinely impressive this year.  Nevertheless, the selection committee appears intent on discounting their 11-0 champion.  A team that defeated Louisiana, who in turn took down Iowa State at home by 17 points.  ISU also struggled to put away a very average TCU team (37-34) and nearly lost at home to 2-7 Baylor (38-31).

How in the world is Iowa State even in consideration for a New Years 6 bowl, let alone favored to be gifted one?  If not IU, then Coastal Carolina should be placed ahead of ISU if the CFP committee has any integrity.

I think it’s important to remember that while IU not making a big 6 bowl is BS on the committee we need to remember a large portion of the blame is on the BIG conference.  They should have waited to make a decision with all the other conferences on when to play and the entire conference should have gotten another 2-3 dates in fall to get additional games in.  The BIG set the rest of the conference up with a big disadvantage besides OSU and they should get some of our ire IMO.

9 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I think it’s important to remember that while IU not making a big 6 bowl is BS on the committee we need to remember a large portion of the blame is on the BIG conference.  They should have waited to make a decision with all the other conferences on when to play and the entire conference should have gotten another 2-3 dates in fall to get additional games in.  The BIG set the rest of the conference up with a big disadvantage besides OSU and they should get some of our ire IMO.

I agree. F them. This is squarely on them. Only person that benefits in the conference is osu. I just don’t know how the AP and coaches have us at 7 and 8 4-5 spots ahead of Iowa state and the CFP has them in front despite 2 more losses. The big ten royally F’d this up. And since Barta is a hapless clown he would be fighting for Iowa hardcore in our position. Where is sticking up for your conference? Conference revenue? Just sucks. I hope we destroy auburn/ Missouri whoever the hell we play from the sec. 

Archived