Texas Postgame Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Scott.  No one on this board wants to be UK.  But, we do want to be consistent winners that play the right way.  How about staying in the Big Ten and compare us to Wisconsin.  Why should Wisconsin be the team on the long string of Top 4 finishes and not IU?  Why?

And let us get into the B10 season before we make that assessment.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a brutal performance by everyone affiliated with Indiana University.  Message board fans included, it seems.  I could have seen this coming when I rushed to put on my IU jersey a few minutes into the first half... then promptly spilled coffee on my keyboard.   

Good thing we don't have to wait long to play again.  Let's see what team shows up.  

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I just hope this was one of those games when you look back and say, “ I can’t believe how bad we played against Texas.......Now look how good we are!” I guess we will see how resilient they are tomorrow...

Not just tomorrow but next week, next month,etc....I know some live in a 24 hour world but each season is it's own mechanism it's own living being. Now the season has started I'll judge the season as it goes on and evaluate the program at the end. We've got a very, very good group of players who just got beat today. Onto the next and we can discuss the state of the program talk at end of year.

Of course I view things a little different than most. What Archie did in game 14 of year 2 has no bearing on today. Each season is it's own entity. 

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Scott.  No one on this board wants to be UK.  But, we do want to be consistent winners that play the right way.  How about staying in the Big Ten and compare us to Wisconsin.  Why should Wisconsin be the team on the long string of Top 4 finishes and not IU?  Why?

I want us winning as much as anyone and would want us to build our teams like UW.  I guess so just don't have the answer of what would turn this program around.  I don't think it all had to do with coaching because we have went through a lot of coaches band that hasn't helped

25 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Trace had 17 points.  Did not seem like he was that involved in the game.

his numbers came largely when the game was already decided.  he didn't play bad compared to the rest of the team, but missed easy baskets early to help us get off to such a bad start.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And let us get into the B10 season before we make that assessment.

Sure, we still have a conference season to play.  But, I'm not only referencing this season, but the last 12.  Wisconsin has had teh type of success I would be happy with even though they have not won a National Championship.  

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Good teams just dont have games like this good teams lose to some bad teams but very few shoot 22 percent.  We have no one who when they shoot from anywhere layups included do I feel confident its going in. That's a big.probkem. a systematic problem not a 1 bad game problem

The 92 team got beat by UCLA by 15 in their opener, and wound up in the Final 4.

My point is, Texas has a TON of talent, is very deep, experienced and I think Shaka is finally growing into a Power 5 coach.

Let's get a few more games under our belt before we write the season and CAM off.

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if they would just hit the shots at the basket we would be alright.  I don't know if the kids don't keep their eyes on the rim or what they do to shoot so poorly within 5;feet of the basket

If Aunt Jane had a penis she would be Uncle John but she doesn't and our guts dont hit the bunnies and haven't for  years now

9 minutes ago, madmax said:

Right, and what I’m saying is you can’t diagnose systemic problems after 3 games. You can over the course of seasons, sure, and maybe this is a continued trend of the past 3 years. But maybe it’s not and we won’t know until later.

Well, if it is the same as the last 3 years, so far I would say it is continuing the trend.  Suddenly getting better would be the break in the trend that people are looking for.

Texas played like pretty much every Big 10 team plays - physical, tough defense.  I don't think this offensive performance bodes well for the rest of the season.  I know its one game, but the patterns were there the previous couple years - the offensive outbursts like yesterday are the exceptions.  The long droughts and poor shooting are the rules. 

14 minutes ago, Calihoosier said:

I’m not advocating firing him yet but this game reminds me of the duke debacle of the coach crean’s last years where college analysts were wondering what the hell was he doing defensively but just now it’s in reverse were people are wondering why were running a 90’s style offense were we looks for twos and the more  modern opponent’s offense looks for threes. Then again I feel this offense is perfect for us since as a program we are pretty much relics of the past.

I thought the year Crean debacle at Duke we ended up winning the big ten

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The 92 team got beat by UCLA by 15 in their opener, and wound up in the Final 4.

My point is, Texas has a TON of talent, is very deep, experienced and I think Shaka is finally growing into a Power 5 coach.

Let's get a few more games under our belt before we write the season and CAM off.

You are picking out individual games. This has been this way since Archie got here. There is zero consistency. We could knock off Gonzaga tomorrow if we played them and lose the next 10. That is maddening IMO. I know good basketball when I see it and we have not seen it here for a long time.  Beating MSU every year is not what we should hang our hats on. Finishing ahead of them in conference yes

Archived