Parker Stewart (Transfer) Commits to Indiana

gnet550

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this guy is as good of a shooter as advertised, I would not mind seeing him take Rob's starting minutes and slide Durham over to the point.  Sounds crazy I know, but we need shooting.  We will especially need it once the Big Ten starts.  I fully expect to see teams pack in on Davis and prove we can shoot it every night.

17 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If this guy is as good of a shooter as advertised, I would not mind seeing him take Rob's starting minutes and slide Durham over to the point.  Sounds crazy I know, but we need shooting.  We will especially need it once the Big Ten starts.  I fully expect to see teams pack in on Davis and prove we can shoot it every night.

Well Stewart would be a better point guard then Al. He handled the ball quite a bit last year. Why anyone wants Al running the point I will never know. Guy dribbles the air out of the ball...doesn’t anticipate guys coming open, not a great passer, can’t take his man off the dribble and when he does doesn’t know what he is doing when he drives. Al is a spot up shooter that can drive when his man is out of position after a ball reversal. I wish someone would show me some film on what makes them think Al should play even a minute at the point. Maybe I’m walking to the fridge when he does all his great point guard play.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Well he would be a better point guard then Al. He handled the ball quite a bit last year. Why anyone wants Al running the point I will never know. Guy dribbles the air out of the ball...doesn’t anticipate guys coming open, not a great passer, can’t take his man off the dribble and when he does doesn’t know what he is doing when he drives. Al is a spot up shooter that can drive when his man is out of position after a ball reversal. I wish someone would show me some film on what makes them think Al should play even a minute at the point.

🙏🙏🙏🙏

47 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No way I ever want to see Al at the point, if it's avoidable. 

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well Stewart would be a better point guard then Al. He handled the ball quite a bit last year. Why anyone wants Al running the point I will never know. Guy dribbles the air out of the ball...doesn’t anticipate guys coming open, not a great passer, can’t take his man off the dribble and when he does doesn’t know what he is doing when he drives. Al is a spot up shooter that can drive when his man is out of position after a ball reversal. I wish someone would show me some film on what makes them think Al should play even a minute at the point. Maybe I’m walking to the fridge when he does all his great point guard play.

Fair point, I was thinking more PG by committee among Durham, Franklin, and Stewart.  Maybe not have a traditional PG per se.  I was thinking maybe Franklin to pressure the other team's point on the defense end and have Stewart play and defend the "3".

I don't think Durham is a great PG by any means but man, R.P. just has not had it at all this year.  I am thinking maybe bringing him off the bench might help him settle in a bit?  I don't know, I just feel like we need to shake something up because we are going to need shooting in the Big Ten.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Were we given a date that he’s joining the team, practicing, etc?  I have no doubt he’d need a couple of weeks to practice, shake the rust off, and learn our principles and schemes.  

I'm going to assume he has not played the pack line and if he hasn't, two weeks is not nearly enough defensively.

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Definitely not.  Is he practicing already?   I may have missed it in the media reports.  

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but fairly certain I saw somewhere that said he was going to be joining the team after Christmas. Not sure if that means he’ll be suiting up for games though...

12 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but fairly certain I saw somewhere that said he was going to be joining the team after Christmas. Not sure if that means he’ll be suiting up for games though...

I saw the same thing. I have a hard time believing that even if he does play this year (which, last I saw, is questionable) that it'll be soon. Miller made a comment that made it sound like he's not basketball ready at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he had taken a break from working out, he's been through a lot recently with his father dying unexpectedly. Also because of that, he might not be in a place mentally where he's ready to play this season. If so, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Everyone grieves differently and needs a different amount of time to recover from the loss of a family member. I believe that Miller and the coaching staff will do the right thing and give him the time he needs if he needs it before playing him in games.

7 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Fair point, I was thinking more PG by committee among Durham, Franklin, and Stewart.  Maybe not have a traditional PG per se.  I was thinking maybe Franklin to pressure the other team's point on the defense end and have Stewart play and defend the "3".

I don't think Durham is a great PG by any means but man, R.P. just has not had it at all this year.  I am thinking maybe bringing him off the bench might help him settle in a bit?  I don't know, I just feel like we need to shake something up because we are going to need shooting in the Big Ten.

I understand...and actually when Butler went to a zone I was just fine with Rob being out of the game because you can beat a zone with good crisp passing and movement and can get by without a point and can input a better shooter but when a team is in man to man...you need a really good point guard to generate offense. I was more under the feeling that if Rob was ineffective it wouldn’t hurt to let Khristian give it a try....because once conference starts it will be hard to find him minutes.

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Definitely not.  Is he practicing already?   I may have missed it in the media reports.  

i'm still not so sure it is all that tough to figure out.  i mean it's MM defense with ball pressure, but exaggerated helpside.  instead of denying, you jump into the gap.  sure, his instincts will be tough to change, but i don't think it should stop him from playing if that's the plan.

I will gladly be proven wrong on this, but I think everyone is really underestimating how difficult it is to step into a team mid-season that has been playing and practicing together for months.

It's one thing to do it when you're one of those transfers that had to sit out the first half but still spent the summer and Fall working out and practicing with the team, coaches, etc., but Stewart is basically meeting these guys for the first time next week. 

This is going to take a good deal of time. 

13 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm still not so sure it is all that tough to figure out.  i mean it's MM defense with ball pressure, but exaggerated helpside.  instead of denying, you jump into the gap.  sure, his instincts will be tough to change, but i don't think it should stop him from playing if that's the plan.

It's been said several times that it IS tricky to learn and takes awhile to get down especially when your previous defense was very very different..  Look back at how inept IU was in Archie's first season trying to play it.  I think you're oversimplifying it.  Sure, if the other four guys know it well, you can likely cover some for one guy, but that's why we see players like Lander getting benched.  Jerome Hunter is in his 3rd year and still struggling to figure it out.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's been said several times that it IS tricky to learn and takes awhile to get down especially when your previous defense was very very different..  Look back at how inept IU was in Archie's first season trying to play it.  I think you're oversimplifying it.  Sure, if the other four guys know it well, you can likely cover some for one guy, but that's why we see players like Lander getting benched.  Jerome Hunter is in his 3rd year and still struggling to figure it out.

Yeah, covering for someone constantly defensively is very frustrating and often trickles down into a lot of other mistakes happeing. 

On 12/20/2020 at 11:48 AM, dgambill said:

This times 1000, I get seriously scared when Al has to bring the ball up, he throws so many lackadaisical passes and often drives into 3 defenders. So, I can’t imagine anyone wanting Al on the point, scares me to death.

Archived