Stanford Pregame

madmax

As I mentioned in the Texas post game thread, the best thing about today(maybe the only good thing) is that we get to play tomorrow.

Looks like we will be playing Stanford at 1:30pm.

I did not get the chance to watch Stanford play UNC but it looks like a close game. Kenpom(which is fluctuating frequently right now) shows Stanford at #25 and us at #27.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Just saw Parakeet started a thread just before me about Stanford. Mods feel free to delete/lock/merge.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Man..two Stanford pregame threads...I mean I want to move on and forget Texas as much as the next guy but two threads for our next opponent seems a bit over the top lol!! 😂

I kept waiting and no one was doing it and so I finally did only to see another one pop up two minutes later. Anyway to merge these, mods?

49 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m as frustrated as anyone and feeling about as pessimistic as I ever have, but I’m ready to start looking at the next one. I’m glad it’s tomorrow. 

I know very little about Stanford, but if we can rebound tomorrow, that would give us what should end up being a quality win come March. On the flip side, if we lose we could be staring at the possibility of a three game losing streak. For those reasons, I think tomorrow is a pretty important game  

Find a way, guys, find a way. 

I am copying my post from the thread I had started here. 

The problem with the "doom and gloom" bunch around here is that tomorrow if we come out and dominate, it will just be an anomaly(Like Florida State last year) in an otherwise trend of poor play and ugly offense over the past 3 years. But if we come out and play poorly again its 100% strong evidence of a continued trend. Which is why I continue to preach patience this year. Lets wait and see. Maybe they're all correct and CAM isn't the guy and never will be, but at the very least we can wait to find out before all the pessimism ruins the mood.

1 minute ago, madmax said:

The problem with the "doom and gloom" bunch around here is that tomorrow if we come out and dominate, it will just be an anomaly(Like Florida State last year) in an otherwise trend of poor play and ugly offense over the past 3 years. But if we come out and play poorly again its 100% strong evidence of a continued trend. Which is why I continue to preach patience this year. Lets wait and see. Maybe they're all correct and CAM isn't the guy and never will be, but at the very least we can wait to find out before all the pessimism ruins the mood.

I think it will be had to tell tomorrow. Likely won’t have AL....I’d be thrilled just to eak out a W...

51 minutes ago, madmax said:

And that's the problem with games like today. They can't happen but they do. And they happen a lot. 

19 points in the entire first half and only 5 two point baskets is just criminal at this point in CAM's tenure.

31 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

And that's the problem with games like today. They can't happen but they do. And they happen a lot. 

19 points in the entire first half and only 5 two point baskets is just criminal at this point in CAM's tenure.

Actually, as a matter of fact, games like this can happen. Even the best teams with the best coaches have terrible games-you won't find one that doesn't. Tony Bennett and Virginia come to mind in fact, getting blown out in the opening round against a 16 seed after having an amazing regular season.

Again, my point is that we need to be patient. All the hand wringing and crying about CAM is pointless until later in the year when we can actually evaluate if there was progress this year of if there was not.

2 hours ago, madmax said:

100 percent agree. 

So we played a really good game against Providence. Dominated them. 

Doesn’t matter, because we then didn’t show up and had an awful game, right? I mean, that was an awful game, one of the worst. But the ridiculous over the top negativity that is taken to the level of saying this is what CAM is, we don’t have any talented players (are you freaking kidding me), this is what we can expect, us just pathetic. I mean it is truly pathetic to me, Just disregard, or above ridiculously deny that we were even in the tourney last year but for Covid, that Cam has landed 3 straight Mr Indiana Basketball players, that Lander was the no. 1 ranked pg in his class - but came to IU as a 17 year old junior and is still maturing into the college game (shocker), that TJD is a phenomenal player, etc so people can bitch away. Just pathetic.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

100 percent agree. 

So we played a really good game against Providence. Dominated them. 

Doesn’t matter, because we then didn’t show up and had an awful game, right? I mean, that was an awful game, one of the worst. But the ridiculous over the top negativity that is taken to the level of saying this is what CAM is, we don’t have any talented players (are you freaking kidding me), this is what we can expect, us just pathetic. I mean it is truly pathetic to me, Just disregard, or above ridiculously deny that we were even in the tourney last year but for Covid, that Cam has landed 3 straight Mr Indiana Basketball players, that Lander was the no. 1 ranked pg in his class - but came to IU as a 17 year old junior and is still maturing into the college game (shocker), that TJD is a phenomenal player, etc so people can bitch away. Just pathetic.

Watching UK and their pg reclassified from the 21 class and he has not impressed me at all.  It shows that no matter how good you are in highschool that you might struggle early in your college career

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Watching UK and their pg reclassified from the 21 class and he has not impressed me at all.  It shows that no matter how good you are in highschool that you might struggle early in your college career

Lander is outstanding, but he is young and missing an extra year of HS and AAU experience, and he’s playing for a coach that emphasizes D first and foremost. He will rise to the top, but we have solid veteran PG’s he can learn from and it looks like he will get worked in gradually.

Funny, I was one of the guys who initially had Lander coming off the bench due to how young he was and I caught all kinds of flack - he’s a 5-star top ranked point no way he doesn’t start! Then I thought how OG and Bryant were both 17 when they joined IU and that we were going to run a 3-guard lineup and convinced myself he’d start.
i am looking forward to when he does, because he’ll be ready and his talent is extreme. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Lander is outstanding, but he is young and missing an extra year of HS and AAU experience, and he’s playing for a coach that emphasizes D first and foremost. He will rise to the top, but we have solid veteran PG’s he can learn from and it looks like he will get worked in gradually.

Funny, I was one of the guys who initially had Lander coming off the bench due to how young he was and I caught all kinds of flack - he’s a 5-star top ranked point no way he doesn’t start! Then I thought how OG and Bryant were both 17 when they joined IU and that we were going to run a 3-guard lineup and convinced myself he’d start.
i am looking forward to when he does, because he’ll be ready and his talent is extreme. 

I hope so because he looks like he's in way over his head to me. I never saw him play in high school outside of highlight videos but from what I've seen in these past 3 games, he isn't anywhere close to being ready to be a solid contributor. How in the world anybody was talking about him possibly being a 1 and done is beyond me. Even being a 2 and done would likely be a miracle. I'm sure he will get better and be a solid player down the line but this leaving early for the NBA talk has got to stop. He seems like he will be a 4 year player to me. Question for those who know much more about his game than myself: Did he shoot this bad in high school or is he just struggling to make the adjustment to the college game? His shot looks flawed to me. He does have a very quick release which could be beneficial if he can improve his shot. Sorry to be so negative but I was just expecting much more from him. 

It’s not that the Texas game happened, it’s that games like that have been happening far too often over the last three years. Sure it’s a new year, but when you see what you’ve been seeing it’s concerning. 

There are enough games that “the doom and gloom” crowd have a lot of data points to cite. There are enough good games that the head in the sand crowd (if I wanted to be equally dismissive) have some data points to cite. Therein lies the overall problem. We are too inconsistent. Archie has to find a way make this team play well consistently. Until he does, no one, no matter how they are labeled will be truly happy with our results. 

40 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It’s not that the Texas game happened, it’s that games like that have been happening far too often over the last three years. Sure it’s a new year, but when you see what you’ve been seeing it’s concerning. 

There are enough games that “the doom and gloom” crowd have a lot of data points to cite. There are enough good games that the head in the sand crowd (if I wanted to be equally dismissive) have some data points to cite. Therein lies the overall problem. We are too inconsistent. Archie has to find a way make this team play well consistently. Until he does, no one, no matter how they are labeled will be truly happy with our results. 

Very well said. Some consistency will make this doom and gloomer very happy

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Very well said. Some consistency will make this doom and gloomer very happy

For sure!  With a young team a L will give you something to make into a teachable moment.  You get better, sometimes, especially if you are coached by the Izzo's.

It's the 20 point blowouts, not being able to manufacture shots, giving up open 3's, and forward thinking, long losing streaks.

This team has veteran guards and you win with them.  Missing Brunk, true....he would of freed up Trayce to be more of a mismatch.  But, you got to find a way to put the ball in the bucket.  Shots going through the hoop helps...but, if not, and they haven't for four years....what do you do?

It's early and I expect better shooting in the future and Trayce playing through contact.  

Wish our team, my team, didn't look a step slow and that is what Texas made them look like.  That's do many times to effort and enthusiasm.  Hopefully, better times ahead if not for anything more, to help with recruiting and to help progress this team to what Indiana deserves- year in and out Big Ten contenders.

if we replicate yesterdays performance today against Stanford this webiste might break and burn down.  

On a serious note, if the kids don't come out with a fire light beneath them then I'm not sure what it will take.  I fully expect a rebound type of game today and we handle business, maybe not like the Providence game but I think we win today.  

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I understand your point, but I simply think throwing in the towel on the consistency of THIS team in THIS year is...well...premature capitulation :D 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I understand your point, but I simply think throwing in the towel on the consistency of THIS team in THIS year is...well...premature capitulation :D 

Nice play on words, and I'm not throwing in the towel.  I just have been worn down with our inconsistency over the last couple of years so attempting to see the glass as half full is not really easy for me now.  You have to understand though, that I truly hope it happens.  I desperately want it to happen.  

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Just a quick shout out to Lander while I’m thinking about it. In an otherwise miserable game yesterday he had some great on the ball defense. He has some quick feet which allows him to stay in front of his man. 

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Just a quick shout out to Lander while I’m thinking about it. In an otherwise miserable game yesterday he had some great on the ball defense. He has some quick feet which allows him to stay in front of his man. 

Yes he did...more than a few times...He got caught out of position a couple of times too, but he's learning.

The game will eventually slow down for him on offense. I'd like to see more driving/facilitating right now than settling for a 3 pointer, but I'm sure he's working on that too.

Archived