Stanford Postgame Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

admittedly college bball is a lot about match-ups.  that obviously factors in.  BUT... last year a lot of people on this board were appalled where they picked us preseason and look where we ended up... i mean, can we beat Michigan, Rutgers, OSU?  yeah, i'm sure we can.  will we?  twice?  are we going to beat Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, MSU?  personally i don't see it.  i hope i'm wrong, but i think we'll have a very similar B1G season with less cupcake wins.  

Definitely about matchups.  The seven teams ranked higher than IU right now, IU would go 4-3 or 3-4 against them.  Definitely not 0-7.      

agree IU seems about 5th.  But IU matches up well vs Illinois. Will be fun to watch this team develop. 

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, madmax said:

I think in reality the top four are the top four. I think that we are in the second tier with OSU, Rutgers, and Michigan. I think I could see all four of those teams placing anywhere 5 through 8. And you might add Purdue into that group too, they will be hard to beat with their size and play good defense.

Realistically the narrative of this season will be based upon how well we do compared to the 2nd tier teams. If were towards the top the season will largely be considered a success, if not, people are gonna be angry.

this is fair.  

I made a point to stay off the game thread and it made it a lot better watching the game. Well until ESPN made the game an info commercial about Walton and Bruce Hornsby.  Just like yesterday people shouldn't overreact to one game but it was nice to see them respond and come out and play well.  If we could ever get some consistent outside shooting this team could be really good.  The more we hit outside it would make it even easier for TJD to have room inside

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Pre-season rankings mean next to nothing. Season has just begun.

We’re clearly a different team with an entire different approach offensively than last season.

Agree, shouldnt be a ranking until league play starts. Kids get beter, young guys change things.

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

^^^ this is what this board said last year!  it was pretty darn close!

You know what they say about stocks, right? 
No idea at this point where we’ll end up. Season is still at the starting line. But no reason to project we’re the same and will end up the same either. We’re not the same. And kindly explain how the “ranked” teams have just eeked by bad teams and have losses. Those rankings are meaningless at this point — later in the year they’ll mean more 

Just now, Bustout said:

Definitely about matchups.  The seven teams ranked higher than IU right now, IU would go 4-3 or 3-4 against them.  Definitely not 0-7.      

agree IU seems about 5th.  But IU matches up well vs Illinois. Will be fun to watch this team develop. 

i think it's fair to say we could lose to or beat OSU, Rutgers, Mich.  we're not beating the others.  maybe 1 big upset.  i guess if that happens and we beat all of the others and don't slip anywhere, could be great!  seems like a stretch, but go Hoosiers!

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i won't argue that.  i will argue that there's a reason they are #23, 25, 26 and we are not.  again, i hope everyone outside of IU fans are wrong and that i am wrong and we end up being better than 3 or 4 teams the national media picks higher than us!

Early ranking mainly comes from last years results.  I never got the love for OSU this year

8 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I think we’re better than OSU, Rutgers and Michigan right now. Might not finish ahead of them but I feel confident playing any of them. 

I'm not sold one way or the other on Michigan, but I would be very surprised if OSU finishes ahead of us and I don't expect Rutgers to beat us.

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think it's fair to say we could lose to or beat OSU, Rutgers, Mich.  we're not beating the others.  maybe 1 big upset.  i guess if that happens and we beat all of the others and don't slip anywhere, could be great!  seems like a stretch, but go Hoosiers!

Well we have beaten MSU the last 3 times we played them and we beat Iowa last year as well.

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i won't argue that.  i will argue that there's a reason they are #23, 25, 26 and we are not.  again, i hope everyone outside of IU fans are wrong and that i am wrong and we end up being better than 3 or 4 teams the national media picks higher than us!

Preseason Polls are based on returning players and new recruits. Rarely do they take player improvement into account.

Race and Armaan are vastly improved. If nothing else, that offers hope that we can compete more consistently. 

Likewise, our defense is getting more and more cohesive.

So I am optimistic we can outperform two or three teams picked ahead if us.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Looking at the box, my favorite stat of the day.  Armaan played 40 minutes,  When is the last time an IU player played em all?  No reason to take somoene out that is playing well in the flow of the game.

I thought it was impossible for kids to play big minutes today

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Defense travels...will our offense. It always comes down to that. I think this year will be really roller coaster. No crowds will play a big difference imo.

My one complaint so far — and it’s early so not making a big point of it - the overall lack of outside shooting so far I think is on CAM. The team is not being encouraged to push the deep game, imo. I’ve watched guys think about it and pull out of good looking outside looks. Hunter included. I think we’re working more on spacing, taking care of the balk, and some inside out than looking for open outside shots. I think part of the reasoning is avoiding fast breaks off missed threes. If you’re ragging on Hunter I think your focus is off. Hunter’s first game he looked great. He’s not being given the green light imo and we’ll lose games if we don’t open up more for our best shooters to shoot. We need Hunter more involved 

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Not taking anything away from those saying Texas is top 10 but they didn’t look top 20 against Davidson who isn’t very good.  Texas has as much talent as anyone in the country, but for me it’s to early to get excited about any team yet.

Davidson is not a bad team and has one of the best coaches in the country

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not taking anything away from those saying Texas is top 10 but they didn’t look top 20 against Davidson who isn’t very good.  Texas has as much talent as anyone in the country, but for me it’s to early to get excited about any team yet.

It is also about match ups. Texas is so athletic and controlling around the rim. Davidson had something we do not. 

Big guys that could pick and pop from 3, negating a little of that advantage.

The loss to Texas was obviously a learning experience to the guys. This one was as well, showing themselves that good things happen when all out effort is there. Hopefully it opens their eyes to what they are gonna have to do from here on out. If nobody takes the night off we can be pretty good. 

Archived