Investing

It's been awhile since ive bought but I've started rebuilding my stack of physical silver and gold bullion.  You can invest in paper silver but I'd rather have possession of it.  Bought 10 1oz canadian maples this past week. I'm not one of these nuts that put all my money in to it to prepare for a collapse. You can't eat it or use it as an effective projectile. You diversify in other areas for that purpose.

But I do like to try to maintain 5%-10% of my portfolio in physical pms. I use the DCA strategy and buy in small increments or if I see a good deal. Silver has a low entry point so my strategy is to buy silver and when I have enough exchange some for gold. Mostly because gold is easier to store. Silver is easier to sell so I keep both. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Earn to give. Do it the Sam Bankman Friedman intended. :)

I don't know how he did what but I know I just bought 5 oz of Austrian minted Philharmonic silver sovereigns in addition to my biweekly 20% 401k/HSA/Roth/gun safe cash.

Also bought 400 peices of 62 gr .224 copper jacketed lead this week.

Still no primers in stock, good thing I bought 10,000 back in 2011. (That's just a starter pack😁)

And I don't plan on giving just yet. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don't know how he did what but I know I just bought 5 oz of Austrian minted Philharmonic silver sovereigns in addition to my biweekly 20% 401k/HSA/Roth/gun safe cash.

Also bought 400 peices of 62 gr .224 copper jacketed lead this week.

Still no primers in stock, good thing I bought 10,000 back in 2011. (That's just a starter pack😁)

And I don't plan on giving just yet. 

.224?  Do you have to use a hammer to get them into the chamber? :)

4 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

.224?  Do you have to use a hammer to get them into the chamber? :)

Nope. That's the diameter they actually are.  Mine are chambered in 5.56 which has slightly looser tolerances than .223. It may blow your mind that .224 and .22lr are the same diameter.  

I'm a big believer in diversification and caliber commonality.  My next order will be for .308 which will feed my savage and my M1 Garand.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Nope. That's the diameter they actually are.  Mine are chambered in 5.56 which has slightly looser tolerances than .223. It may blow your mind that .224 and .22lr are the same diameter.  

I'm a big believer in diversification and caliber commonality.  My next order will be for .308 which will feed my savage and my M1 Garand.

I didn't realize that it actually measured that. Good info.

My .223 has the Wylde chamber config. at 100yrds you can easily put 5 that all touch or are 1/8" from touching. Tack driver! And that's with off the shelf ammo. My next goal is to push it out to 300yrds. Can't wait to see what it will do.

• Like 2

I saw a commercial for silver this morning.  The commercials are really cheesy and I can see how one would pass because of those. 

But I think silver is undervalued and has long term potential.  Before 2007 silver traded around $10 an ounce, afterward the floor settled around $20. What happened in 2007?  The iPhone was introduced.  See, silver is an important conductor in lithium ion batteries so I'm thinking the move toward electric cars and green energy will help to boost the price in the future.  Car companies are even considering buying silver mines which would reduce supplies for public purchase. 

At worst it's a good store of value.  It has been currency for 5000 years after all. 

• 4 months later...

I've dabbled a bit over the years in futures but not enough to know much. Here's my question in a two part sort of way.

Right now since end of May Corn and Soy Bean futures have been up about 20% in last 30 days because of droughts impacting Iowa, Illinois, Indiana,etc and other Midwestern states.......lower yields higher prices,etc...

My questions are these. Is the damage done to these crops irreparable because of the drought during the most important growing time? Or is this something that with 3-4 really hard rains could be cured? Curious what the farmers or others are seeing or thinking??

I follow several row-crop farmers on YT. Not for the outlook on grain, but to see how technology has evolved in farming since I was a kid, and to see how they re-engineer implements that break, tear down engines, and use far more specialized implements.

Most of them have stated that a couple good rains would do a world of good for the crops now. So I don't think the damage is permanent yet. In Montana (wheat, yellow peas, canola) they need rain quick. Midwest not quite as urgent...yet. 

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I've dabbled a bit over the years in futures but not enough to know much. Here's my question in a two part sort of way.

Right now since end of May Corn and Soy Bean futures have been up about 20% in last 30 days because of droughts impacting Iowa, Illinois, Indiana,etc and other Midwestern states.......lower yields higher prices,etc...

My questions are these. Is the damage done to these crops irreparable because of the drought during the most important growing time? Or is this something that with 3-4 really hard rains could be cured? Curious what the farmers or others are seeing or thinking??

I'm not a farmer and there are so many variables from crop selection to location but what I've heard on the economic side is that while the damage might not be irreparable, lower yields seem certain. Looks like some rain possible next week so I imagine we'll see what areas get some relief and how widespread that is.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm not a farmer and there are so many variables from crop selection to location but what I've heard on the economic side is that while the damage might not be irreparable, lower yields seem certain. Looks like some rain possible next week so I imagine we'll see what areas get some relief and how widespread that is.

I’m not an investor or farmer but I think besides the drought you need to pay attention to the world we live in. That dam in Ukraine explosion has major implications on the world wheat and corn supply!

• Like 1

As far as Indiana... It's not total devastation at this point, but Reacher said, lower yields are an assumed thing at this point, as the best case scenario. Some slow soaking rains over the next couple weeks could really help gain some back, but won't stop all loss of over all yield. The next 2-3 weeks will be critical though.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Any loan or bank people on here? I think I know the answer but wanted to double check because more eyes on a subject is always better.

Anyway. Friend of mine here in town started his own business less than 2 years ago. Had to incur some credit card debt to get things going. His receivables are 90-180 days out in terms of payment. He has 2 properties PP of $150k each, $100k in equity and now worth minimally $350k if he sold.

Problem is he wants to keep the properties for rental income but wants to do a home equity loan to have a reduced interest rate vs what credit card companies are charging. Bank has said you don't have verifiable income yet. Anyone know of loan type around this situation or is it just wait your time?

I'm not a banker and not sure what the "rules" are but my experience says to shop around. Try to find a smaller out of the way bank that might be more receptive to looking at the entire picture than trying to fit something neatly into a box.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Any loan or bank people on here? I think I know the answer but wanted to double check because more eyes on a subject is always better.

Anyway. Friend of mine here in town started his own business less than 2 years ago. Had to incur some credit card debt to get things going. His receivables are 90-180 days out in terms of payment. He has 2 properties PP of $150k each, $100k in equity and now worth minimally $350k if he sold.

Problem is he wants to keep the properties for rental income but wants to do a home equity loan to have a reduced interest rate vs what credit card companies are charging. Bank has said you don't have verifiable income yet. Anyone know of loan type around this situation or is it just wait your time?

cant he cash out Re-Fi one of his homes? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just went through this - if his sole income is now self employment (or from any company where he has a substantial ownership stake), he needs two solid years of filed tax returns for almost any bank to take him on.  Incredibly frustrating but part of the process for how we avoid another 2008-style collapse, underwriting is (at least in some ways) a lot more intense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the likely route but he hates touching the equity.

Get a personal loan using the house(s) as collateral. personally loan his business for the IRS minimum rate? or he can personally gift his business up to $18,000 for 2024 without either party being taxed.

I am a construction manager. this is not my area of expertise. His accountant should have some ideas if he/she is good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Just went through this - if his sole income is now self employment (or from any company where he has a substantial ownership stake), he needs two solid years of filed tax returns for almost any bank to take him on.  Incredibly frustrating but part of the process for how we avoid another 2008-style collapse, underwriting is (at least in some ways) a lot more intense.

This is the part nobody tells us who have started their own businesses. 2 full years. I remember going through it decades ago but my buddy is just frustrated. Home equity, home appreciation, his IRA,etc....but he can't get a conventional loan because he doesn't have the 2 years.

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Get a personal loan using the house(s) as collateral. personally loan his business for the IRS minimum rate? or he can personally gift his business up to $18,000 for 2024 without either party being taxed.

I am a construction manager. this is not my area of expertise. His accountant should have some ideas if he/she is good.

Depending on amounts, creative stuff like this ^ does definitely exist.  DSCR loans as well.  Hard money loans, depending on how long he needs of a runway, stuff like that. 

7 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I missed the entire low interest rate environment.  Bought a house 2020.  Started my own biz 2021.  JUST NOW closing on a HELOC at 8%, brutal.

Wow. 8% is tough....but it's half of what the cc guys are charging.