Florida State Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate the L but not down on the team

Team did not back down.  Played physically and mentally tough game.

Good D for the most part.  

O still needs work.  For the love of God can they learn how to set screens.  How many times do they screen air?

Please somebody become a shooter!

Season will be a gauntlet this year.  I think they are ready for it.  

Lots of work to do especially on O

3 minutes ago, KDB said:

We have a good team. FSU hadn't lost at home in 24 straight games, and they are a legit top 15/20 team for the entire year.

This game further proved to me that we're a top-25 team. On top of that, we have one of the best players in the country. We will be fine.

Speaking of that guy.. 25 points and 17 boards tonight. TJD is a monster. Needed more touches down the stretch. 

I don't know how this season will play out or the next couple, but personally I can see Archie's system taking hold and finally some culture coming together. 

He just has to recruit some play makers to go with it. We don't have that guy that you're confident can take a game over late and hit some big buckets. 

That will most likely be the Achilles heal of this team. Otherwise, they so tough, really good defensively and likeable. 

My thoughts (after quite a few beers):

1. I felt like we outplayed them for the first 35 minutes, with the main difference being we missed our wide open shots and they hit theirs

2. I thought that was very good defense on the last possession, they just hit a very tough shot

3. If Jerome is hitting his 3’s he needs to play more. He’s the only player I feel confident in making an open shot

I did not get to watch the game, but looking at the box score, it looks like this was another game that I think is going to be a regular for us this year.  We shot 21 of 57 for 36% shooting and we held them to the same.  The problem I really see though is that Trace was 8 of 15 which means the rest of the team was 13 for 42 which is a shade under 31%.  We were 26.7% from 3 (4-15).  So we are really just an atrocious offensive team.

Conversely we are a pretty good defensive team.  We held them to 36% shooting overall but they were 40% behind the arc (8 of 20).

I think Miller has built a modern Dick Bennett Wisconsin team.  We will win some games this year but it is going to be U-G-L-Y.  We are also going to lose some games that would be winnable with even a mediocre offensive output.  Based on the box score, this looks like one of those games.

Effort was great. FSU is long and physical. Not sure if it was a travel at the end but do know that we could have put the game away when we went up 65-62. Once we got the lead, and had the ball with a chance to go up 5, we had several possessions where it was the “Al show” and TJD did not get touches. For all the missed shots, bad calls, etc etc I think those few possessions cost us the game. Overall I am just glad we held our own against a strong team that I did not think was a good matchup for us.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did not get to watch the game but we went on the road against a top 20 team and took them to OT.

Meh, I am over moral victories.  We should be upset we let a winnable game get away IMO.  These are the type of games I really expect us to start winning here.

Archived