Florida State Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 thing that needs to be adjusted about our offense --> we need to move better off the ball during the drive. Other teams can send three people to the ball while we drive and we do not position ourselves well enough off the ball to make them pay...It is probably also true to say that we simply need to make the easier more obvious passes while on the move

1 thing that we need to do better offensively to win games like this -->finish at the rim. I realize we did not shoot great from outside, but we will shoot better as the game slows down for a few people. We would have won that game by 8-10 if we finished better at the rim

1 thing I love about this team -->  they have learned to compete (though I realize that they were flat against Texas) the last two years I believe we have turned the corner in that regard. I think back to Juwan's senior year and how we simply didn't play hard. This team played so hard tonight, and largely that was true last year (aside from a few flat outings).

1 thing I find encouraging --> after a bad start we stayed with it. Take away the first four minutes and we outscored them overall...That tells me a great deal of our issue was nerves. Not schemes. Not scouting. Nerves. If you watch the game again, look how sloppy our switches were early. A simple interchange on the weak side led to open shooters on the wing for FSU because both of our defenders ended up with the low man on the interchange. This got way better as the game went on. That tells me that they knew what to do, but were too nervous, sort of swimming in the adrenaline, but once they calmed down, the defense was great other than rebounding.

1 type of call that would changed everything about the game -->Travels. For the majority of the game FSU was not being held accountable to good footwork. On the catch and drive they were often awful with their footwork and travelled regularly

1 thing we need to do better defensively (somehow)-->  to finish of stops by rebounding

1 problem that caused most of our turnovers --> trying to bust out of traffic after getting a rebound. Having three ball handlers on the floor we should be able to outlet the ball and make teams pay for pressuring us on rebounds

1 player that needed to be better for us to win --> Al Durham. He gave a fairly gusty performance given his ankle issues, but he was the main culprit of forcing the action offensively. I sympathize because we simply have no one who can beat their man off the dribble consistently, but our response to that needs to be to move the ball more, not to force the action more. When the ball moves we will be able to find open driving lanes more, Trayce more often in the post off the ball reversal, and even set shooters more often. I really think that we will shoot well enough when we start getting shots where our feet are set and we are not rushing. We rushed our open looks tonight something fierce. I really appreciate Al, but the team won't be at its best until he is the third guard in terms of touches and shot attempts.

1 thing I am starting to believe --> this is the type of team we will struggle with more than execution based teams. FSU was bigger, faster, and stronger at every position. Their actions did not cause us trouble, just being longer and able to shoot over us. We will be able to stay in front of most teams off the dribble, and we are well prepared to switch screens or fight through them. Teams will not execute us to death nearly the way that they could two years ago. 

I believe in the type of team that I am watching. I wish they had won. I wish they had not had turnover issues in the first half. But I don't wish that I cheered for a different team.

9 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

We would be super good if we had a couple snipers on the team. Glad to see the defense keep us in close games with good teams, but it’s hard to trust anyone as being the sure fire guy to hit daggers. 

This is the key....who?  Most superstar potential is Lander and Trayce....can Archie let some of the questionable shots happen for big play making ability?  

Man, that was a physical game and IU had chances, plenty.  They played tough.  

On to the next game.  

Frustrating loss against a good team. We had about 5-6 possessions where where we had the game. With that said. I won't say much more on this one. Upset but I know we have a good team. Kudos to Archie for not getting a T again. I know I had one.

And for the we should be winning these games crowd....tap out on the keyboard. Euro travel on final shot not to mention about 5-6 calls on the road that were an embarrassment to officiating.....if it's a profession anymore. I feel like I'm watching hoops like the NFL. Great play....wait for the substitute science teacher who never played a sport to make a call and impact a game. 

I =listened to the last 13 minutes coming home form my son's house in Danville.  Pretty good that when I pulled into my drive way was right when FSU hit the winning shot in OT.  Not good that he hit the shot but had something to listen to all the way home.

1) Was the refs as bad as Fish made them out to be.  The first possession I turned on the radio it was48-46 and something happened that Fish went off.

2)  Did we get good looks and just miss them 

3) That last possession should we got the timeout and if we did where would we have gotten the ball with 4 seconds left.

4) On that last possession where FSU got like 3 or 4 offensive rebounds was it just bad bounces or did we not go after the ball.

5) I DVR'd the game but I am glad I listened to it because even adding another 30 minutes it wouldn't have taped the last 2 minutes of OT

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I =listened to the last 13 minutes coming home form my son's house in Danville.  Pretty good that when I pulled into my drive way was right when FSU hit the winning shot in OT.  Not good that he hit the shot but had something to listen to all the way home.

1) Was the refs as bad as Fish made them out to be.  The first possession I turned on the radio it was48-46 and something happened that Fish went off.

2)  Did we get good looks and just miss them 

3) That last possession should we got the timeout and if we did where would we have gotten the ball with 4 seconds left.

4) On that last possession where FSU got like 3 or 4 offensive rebounds was it just bad bounces or did we not go after the ball.

5) I DVR'd the game but I am glad I listened to it because even adding another 30 minutes it wouldn't have taped the last 2 minutes of OT

1. IMO, the refs were very bad. But that’s to be expected on the road in college basketball unfortunately

2. We missed a lot of open shots, especially in the first 35 Minutes. I felt like we had fewer open shots in crunch time + OT, but it definitely felt like we left point in the table

3. We absolutely should’ve got the timeout. Really bad call, but we would’ve only had 4-5 seconds to drive full court and score

4. idk about the last possession, but it felt like they beat us on the boards all game. Not sure what the actual stats were though

To me we are just missing one other top scorer who can get their own shot.  We don't have anyone who can just take their man off the dribble and finish at the basket or pull up for a go 12 foot shot.  Also like everyone else can see we need a knock down shooter who has confidence shooting.  I would assume this game was like others is our guys are not ready to shoot when they get the ball.  You can't decide to shoot once you have the ball but you need to see a pass or 2 ahead.  I don't know if it is just that these guys can't shoot or Archie needs to loosen up a little and let the kids shoot.  It is aright running the offense from inside out because it will allow shooters to be open and able to step into their shots.

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

1. IMO, the refs were very bad. But that’s to be expected on the road in college basketball unfortunately

2. We missed a lot of open shots, especially in the first 35 Minutes. I felt like we had fewer open shots in crunch time + OT, but it definitely felt like we left point in the table

3. We absolutely should’ve got the timeout. Really bad call, but we would’ve only had 4-5 seconds to drive full court and score

4. idk about the last possession, but it felt like they beat us on the boards all game. Not sure what the actual stats were though

Just listening to the game it is hard to tell but I remember in regulation we had two possessions to go up 4 or 5 and did not convert.  Also in OT we were up 3 and had the ball but no score so was wondering if we had good shots or was it just good defense.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

I think we are a 35ish team.  I think we would easily be Top 25 with any type of consistent offense.

We need to be better offensively but I think we finally have a top defensive team.  When you play great defense it should allow you to stay in any game and if you can just be a good offensive team you should win most games.  To me I would rather be a great defensive team and a good offensive team over a great offensive team and no defense.  If you are great offensive team but are missing shots but you can't stop the other team you are in trouble.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

We need to be better offensively but I think we finally have a top defensive team.  When you play great defense it should allow you to stay in any game and if you can just be a good offensive team you should win most games.  To me I would rather be a great defensive team and a good offensive team over a great offensive team and no defense.  If you are great offensive team but are missing shots but you can't stop the other team you are in trouble.

I would be fine with being great at one thing and good at the other, does not matter to me which.  You will win a bunch of games if you are a great offense and good defense or a great defense and good offense.  I think the problem we have had going back to really Mike Davis is that, for the most part, we tend to be good to great at one thing and frankly just bad at the other.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just listening to the game it is hard to tell but I remember in regulation we had two possessions to go up 4 or 5 and did not convert.  Also in OT we were up 3 and had the ball but no score so was wondering if we had good shots or was it just good defense.

I think our biggest lead in the last 5 minutes was only 2 points, it was a back and forth type of game. But it did feel like the offense (on both side) stagnated near the end. It seemed like the only way we could score in the last few minutes of regulation + overtime was by getting the ball to Trayce

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me we are just missing one other top scorer who can get their own shot.  We don't have anyone who can just take their man off the dribble and finish at the basket or pull up for a go 12 foot shot.  Also like everyone else can see we need a knock down shooter who has confidence shooting.  I would assume this game was like others is our guys are not ready to shoot when they get the ball.  You can't decide to shoot once you have the ball but you need to see a pass or 2 ahead.  I don't know if it is just that these guys can't shoot or Archie needs to loosen up a little and let the kids shoot.  It is aright running the offense from inside out because it will allow shooters to be open and able to step into their shots.

I think you’re absolute correct. We need an AA pg that can shoot. We’re not going to get one because Archie runs everything through the post and recruits know that. We need to hope that Lander can develop into one and Archie needs to allow 3 point shots as part of the offense and not just hoisting them up late in the shot clock because nothing else is working. It’s obvious that guys are hesitant because he doesn’t encourage that. We just can’t seem to get a coach with balance. Crean was all offense and now Archie is all defense

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

I think our biggest lead in the last 5 minutes was only 2 points, it was a back and forth type of game. But it did feel like the offense (on both side) stagnated near the end. It seemed like the only way we could score in the last few minutes of regulation + overtime was by getting the ball to Trayce

I remember RP hitting about a pull up 15 footer and Al hitting a 3 but everything else was pretty much TJD.

Archived