Poll: What is Your Favorite Basketball to Watch? NBA, International (Olympic/World Games), College, or High School?

IUFLA

Poll: What is Your Favorite Basketball to Watch? NBA, International (Olympic/World Games), College, or High School?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is Your Favorite Basketball to Watch? NBA, International (Olympic/World Games), College, or High School?

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You can find it acceptable but you honestly can’t disagree. It is who he is on the sideline. And I didn’t say Izzo was markedly different from other college coaches - that’s the point - that is part of the difference between college and Nba basketball. It’s ridiculous the way college coaches behave.

See I don't find anything wrong with coaches working the officials but don't want players doing it at any levels.  I think the coaches in the NBA is more like a CEO than a coach.  I rather see the NBA coaches get into the officials more because it is obvious that NBA officials play favoritism

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Luke-warm take: Bob Knight was also a sanctimonious ass and instead of celebrating to refs what he did we should call it bush-league. 

I just don't think coaches getting into officials is a bad thing.  Like anything there is a line you shouldn't cross and don't think coaches do that to often.

Just now, IU Scott said:

See I don't find anything wrong with coaches working the officials but don't want players doing it at any levels.  I think the coaches in the NBA is more like a CEO than a coach.  I rather see the NBA coaches get into the officials more because it is obvious that NBA officials play favoritism

Lol and college officials are disinterested and officiate fairly? Again, you can find it acceptable - that’s a matter of personal preference - but to me and others the behavior of college coaches, Izzo as a prime example or that douche bag who used to coach Wisconsin, the Grinch, is absurd and a major distraction from the game. 

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Lol and college officials are disinterested and officiate fairly? Again, you can find it acceptable - that’s a matter of personal preference - but to me and others the behavior of college coaches, Izzo as a prime example or that douche bag who used to coach Wisconsin, the Grinch, is absurd and a major distraction from the game. 

For me that is some good entertainment but like all other sports political correctness had taken some good things out of sports.  I miss the manager and umpires going nose to nose on the field.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For me that is some good entertainment but like all other sports political correctness had taken some good things out of sports.  I miss the manager and umpires going nose to nose on the field.

It has absolutely nothing to do with political correctness.... 

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't think coaches getting into officials is a bad thing.  Like anything there is a line you shouldn't cross and don't think coaches do that to often.

NBA coaches get into officials all of the time, they just typically don't act like petulant children while doing it like many college coaches do. 

Izzo isn't the only one, but his sideline behavior is no different then when one of my kids throws a crying temper tantrum. 

Then when he loses he acts like a cry baby in the post game interview. 

What usually bothers me about these college basketball vs. the NBA discussions IMO is the criticisms of the NBA are usually based in narrative/myth and then followed up by, "...and that's why I haven't watched the NBA in years." 

As HH and KoB have said, neither game is perfect, they both have their flaws, but I'd much rather watch highly skilled players playing at the highest level, than two teams shooting sub-40% from the field and struggling to get to 60 points, which happens all to often in college basketball. 

Even the IU-FSU game, of course I was hugely into the game because it was IU, but let's be honest that game was horrible. It was not a well played basketball game, and was fairly boring without the vested interest. 

On 12/10/2020 at 12:38 PM, IUFLA said:

I ask this question after seeing @BGleas response in the FSU postgame thread about college ball being difficult to watch because it's over coached and over officiated. I love college ball because of that very thing. It's officiated more closely, and the coach carries some weight in the college game (see RMK). 

So it's college ball for me. I love high school ball too because to me it's the purest form. No money or scholarships involved. You go to school where you live (for the most part). You play for your town/city, and because you love the game. But the talent can sometimes just not be there.

I watched the NBA a lot growing up. Was initially a fan of the Bill Russell Celtics. I remember being with my Dad in the bar of the Martinsville Moose Lodge watching the 1969 NBA finals against the Lakers, and I was the only one out of 30 people rooting for the Celtics. Loved the Pacers when they started up in 1967, and I still hope they do well, but I never watch the NBA. I know people say "it's a player's game" but to me it's a fan's game...I follow teams because of the team  and not individual players.

And this is NOT a jab at NBA fans...I know @BGleas, @KoB2011, and @Hoosierhoopster (among others) are all NBA fans and I think they're excellent posters and very knowledgeable about the game as well. 

So just a poll, and comments on why...No politics please!

I'll say this... I still voted for College, I watch most IU games, however I do not watch other college games. I have no interest in just watching a college game because as OP stated, it is just not as enjoyable anymore. . I don't watch HS anymore, though I would if there was a good player or game to see. Part of that is due to now living in WI, where the game is not a big event like in IN towns.  I do not watch a single minute of NBA.

It used to be that I watched a lot of basketball. I never missed a game for IU and I went to every home game for UE. I also watched multiple games of interest a week. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Aaron's father had no problem with it so why should you or anyone else.

It doesn't matter if the father cared or not. There was a video going around this week of a youth football coach hitting one of his players on the sideline. 

The parent of the player didn't have a problem with it and refused to press charges. They're still charging the coach though, because it was wrong. 

Izzo acts like a baby on the sideline, im kind of surprised you're defending him. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It doesn't matter if the father cared or not. There was a video going around this week of a youth football coach hitting one of his players on the sideline. 

The parent of the player didn't have a problem with it and refused to press charges. They're still charing the coach though, because it was wrong. 

Izzo acts like a baby on the sideline, im kind of surprised you're defending him. 

Putting your hands on a player is different than getting in their face to tell them what they did wrong.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The parent of the player didn't have a problem with it and refused to press charges. They're still charing the coach though, because it was wrong. 

I don't really care for him but what he does on the sideline does not bother me one bit.  I just grew up in a time where this is normal coaching behavior and don't see anything wrong with it.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Putting your hands on a player is different than getting in their face to tell them what they did wrong.

Obviously. I was giving an example that just because a parent is ok with the behavior it doesn't make it right. 

Izzo acts like a whiney little B on the sidelines and when he losses his post-game comments are like a child. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

I don't really care for him but what he does on the sideline does not bother me one bit.  I just grew up in a time where this is normal coaching behavior and don't see anything wrong with it.

I guess I just prefer adult professionals to act like both adults and professionals. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I guess I just prefer adult professionals to act like both adults and professionals. 

I guess you did not like Keady, RMK or Judd Heathcoat back in the day.  I miss seeing characters like that in college basketball because now everyone is expected to be like robots with no personality.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I guess you did not like Keady, RMK or Judd Heathcoat back in the day.  I miss seeing characters like that in college basketball because now everyone is expected to be like robots with no personality.

I have no problem with getting into officials and having characters in the game, I have a problem with grown adults acting like 5 year old children. 

There's a difference. 

Its also interesting that you'll defend these coaches acting like petulant children, but can't stomach when NBA players complain about some calls in a much more subdued fashion.  

Just now, BGleas said:

I have no problem with getting into officials and having characters in the game, I have a problem with grown adults acting like 5 year old children. 

There's a difference. 

Its also interesting that you'll defend these coaches acting like petulant children, but can't stomach when NBA players complain about some calls in a much more subdued fashion.  

I don't want players at any level talking to the officials because they need to worry about playing the game.  I know when I was more interested in chirping with the refs my play went downhill.  I think I received two techs in my time and had bad games in both of those games.

My main complaint and when people talk about what era's is better I come to one thing with this era and it is to sterile.  Everything has to be just politically correct and you have to watch everything you do and say.  It is taking personalities out of sports and making it so robotic.  That is another reason I don't like all the decisions made in sports come from analytics.  sports are played and coached by humans and want to see those guys show some emotion.  I hate when I see players talking and being friendly with players form the other team and being buddy buddy with them.

Archived