Poll: What is Your Favorite Basketball to Watch? NBA, International (Olympic/World Games), College, or High School?

IUFLA

Poll: What is Your Favorite Basketball to Watch? NBA, International (Olympic/World Games), College, or High School?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is Your Favorite Basketball to Watch? NBA, International (Olympic/World Games), College, or High School?

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I don't want players at any level talking to the officials because they need to worry about playing the game.  I know when I was more interested in chirping with the refs my play went downhill.  I think I received two techs in my time and had bad games in both of those games.

My main complaint and when people talk about what era's is better I come to one thing with this era and it is to sterile.  Everything has to be just politically correct and you have to watch everything you do and say.  It is taking personalities out of sports and making it so robotic.  That is another reason I don't like all the decisions made in sports come from analytics.  sports are played and coached by humans and want to see those guys show some emotion.  I hate when I see players talking and being friendly with players form the other team and being buddy buddy with them.

Remember your New Years resolution....

🤣

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My NBA criticism is that so much of the game is pick n roll....like 100s of times. Some teams run different action off that but basically it’s get a big on a guard and exploit....rinse and repeat. It just isn’t appealing to me. I like to see the ball moving around. The ability is much superior for sure but I still enjoy the semi amateurism of college. The upset can happen because these kids are so young. March madness is to me the pinnacle of basketball lol. I know not in skill but in entertainment. Just my opinion and I respect others view points...some like to see the very best play...I’m fine with less then best. High school sectionals also can be pretty special but because of no shot clock etc you get some really ugly games and junk defenses taking out best players I don’t like but when you see two rivals go at it and a gym full of parents and fans....that’s pretty good too!

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

My NBA criticism is that so much of the game is pick n roll....like 100s of times. Some teams run different action off that but basically it’s get a big on a guard and exploit....rinse and repeat. It just isn’t appealing to me. I like to see the ball moving around. The ability is much superior for sure but I still enjoy the semi amateurism of college. The upset can happen because these kids are so young. March madness is to me the pinnacle of basketball lol. I know not in skill but in entertainment. Just my opinion and I respect others view points...some like to see the very best play...I’m fine with less then best. High school sectionals also can be pretty special but because of no shot clock etc you get some really ugly games and junk defenses taking out best players I don’t like but when you see two rivals go at it and a gym full of parents and fans....that’s pretty good too!

Totally agree with this because when watching sports I want to be entertained.  For me to be entertained by basketball it is just no watching the best players but everything around the sport.  I have been to regular season college and pro games as well as the tournament and NBA playoffs.  For me there is no comparison on what the best atnsphere is and that is the college game.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

To me that is a really valid criticism. Since Harden's accension, it seems like every team every time down court just gives the ball to their best player and runs constant pick and pops for him until he either shoots or sucks the defense in to hit someone for an open 3. 

That action just gets run over and over until one of those two outcomes happens. I completely get that criticism and actually share in it. 

I'd actually also say one of my criticisms of college basketball is that that style is penetrating the college game as well. Almost every team runs that same offense but the players aren't talented enough to pull it off. I think that's partly why shooting is so bad in college right now. 

But again, I share in that criticism of the NBA. 

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

The only caveat was the healthy smooth oiled machine know as Golden st.  It was beautiful, fast ball movement basketball.  Probably won't see it ever again with Klay down again.  

Agree, and I'd also argue the 2014 Spurs. Honestly, if some had never seen basketball and asked me to show them what offense in basketball looks like, I would throw in the tape of the Spurs dismantling the Heat in that years NBA Finals. Their offense was beautiful. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

To me that is a really valid criticism. Since Harden's accension, it seems like every team every time down court just gives the ball to their best player and runs constant pick and pops for him until he either shoots or sucks the defense in to hit someone for an open 3. 

That action just gets run over and over until one of those two outcomes happens. I completely get that criticism and actually share in it. 

I'd actually also say one of my criticisms of college basketball is that that style is penetrating the college game as well. Almost every team runs that same offense but the players aren't talented enough to pull it off. I think that's partly why shooting is so bad in college right now. 

That is my worry about the college game is that it is getting to much like the NBA.  Like you said the other day the college players are not good enough to play that style of offense.  First of all I know this will not happen but if they would just move the shot clock back to 45 seconds it would help offenses out.  I would also move the 3 back in a little because it is obvious college players are having trouble with the new distance.

I think with 45 seconds it gives time for the offense to run a good offense but it eliminates the four corner offense with 5 minutes to go.  To me with a 30 second clock you really only have 20 seconds to run an offense.  With this little of time you are usually only using one side of the court because it is hard to swing the ball to the other side. If that set doesn't work you have no time to set up another set.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think with 45 seconds it gives time for the offense to run a good offense but it eliminates the four corner offense with 5 minutes to go.  To me with a 30 second clock you really only have 20 seconds to run an offense.  With this little of time you are usually only using one side of the court because it is hard to swing the ball to the other side. If that set doesn't work you have no time to set up another set.

Get rid of the shot clock.  And go to the four corners.  I kid.  But the college game can use some revisions.

Just now, IU Scott said:

That is my worry about the college game is that it is getting to much like the NBA.  Like you said the other day the college players are not good enough to play that style of offense.  First of all I know this will not happen but if they would just move the shot clock back to 45 seconds it would help offenses out.  I would also move the 3 back in a little because it is obvious college players are having trouble with the new distance.

I can agree with the 3pt line, but completely disagree with the shot clock. College basketball was horrible when teams like Wisconsin would literally just dribble the basketball up top, never making a legitimate move to the basket, for like 30 seconds before actually starting their offense. 

Shortening the shot clock just removed that boring, wasteful time which allowed coaches to basically dilute the game. Part of the reason they moved it was because coaches were taking advantage of that time. Not using it to find the best shot but using it to essentially stall.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Agree, and I'd also argue the 2014 Spurs. Honestly, if some had never seen basketball and asked me to show them what offense in basketball looks like, I would throw in the tape of the Spurs dismantling the Heat in that years NBA Finals. Their offense was beautiful. 

Yes.  Ginobli slashed and dashed.  Parker picked them apart.  Big Fundamental played flawless.  And the emergence of a super star in Leonard.  Patty miles actually hit more 3s in that series then the legend of Danny Green. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can agree with the 3pt line, but completely disagree with the shot clock. College basketball was horrible when teams like Wisconsin would literally just dribble the basketball up top, never making a legitimate move to the basket, for like 30 seconds before actually starting their offense. 

Shortening the shot clock just removed that boring, wasteful time which allowed coaches to basically dilute the game. Part of the reason they moved it was because coaches were taking advantage of that time. Not using it to find the best shot but using it to essentially stall.

I disagree about the clock because they played at a faster pace back  than you see today.  Scoring was hiogher and shooting as well back then compared to today.  Yes you had a few teams like UW or Princeton that slowed the game down but to me that is not a bad thing.  To me there were more variety on how team played offense and now you see the same thing on all teams.  You also had teams like Marymount. UNLV and Arkansas who were up and down the court and shooting in less than 10 seconds.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I disagree about the clock because they played at a faster pace back  than you see today.  Scoring was hiogher and shooting as well back then compared to today.  Yes you had a few teams like UW or Princeton that slowed the game down but to me that is not a bad thing.  To me there were more variety on how team played offense and now you see the same thing on all teams.  You also had teams like Marymount. UNLV and Arkansas who were up and down the court and shooting in less than 10 seconds.

All of that has very little to do with the shot clock, and is more due to the over-coaching that happens in the college game due partly to the rise in coaches salary, etc. 

I prefer the church league basketball where I was a legend at least in my own mind

I loved church leagues too...played in one that sportscaster Don Hein and Dick White (53 IU Champs) played in...White was in his 40s, but he could still play pretty well...

Of course if I tried to play in a church league today, the only good thing would be there would be a priest near by...

Just now, BGleas said:

All of that has very little to do with the shot clock, and is more due to the over-coaching that happens in the college game due partly to the rise in coaches salary, etc. 

I blame the over coaching to that the rosters are so young because of guys leaving early.  To me I thought they changed the clock to 30 seconds to increase offense but it has done the opposite.  You would think teams would run a faster pace and get out into transition but you see very few teams play fast.  that is why I enjoy watching teams like Gonzaga and Creighton and even Iowa who has a face pace t their play.

Just now, IUFLA said:

I loved church leagues too...played in one that sportscaster Don Hein and Dick White (53 IU Champs) played in...White was in his 40s, but he could still play pretty well...

Of course if I tried to play in a church league today, the only good thing would be there would be a priest near by...

I played in one for 18 years from 17-35 until my knee surgery.  For some of those years we played at the famous Hosier Gym in Knightstown.  I still live off of my huge game with 11 3's and still brag about that game.  The thing is my team shot the 2 a lot better than most college teams do today LOL!

I played in one for 18 years from 17-35 until my knee surgery.  For some of those years we played at the famous Hosier Gym in Knightstown.  I still live off of my huge game with 11 3's and still brag about that game.  The thing is my team shot the 2 a lot better than most college teams do today LOL!

I love hearing stories like this.  I only played in the street. But did consistently beat my next door neighbor, who was 4 years older than me, and a ton taller than me.   May GOD bless you and IUFLA.  Stay safe guys.

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I love hearing stories like this.  I only played in the street. But did consistently beat my next door neighbor, who was 4 years older than me, and a ton taller than me.   May GOD bless you and IUFLA.  Stay safe guys.

Hope you are doing well and have a Merry Christmas.  I am allowed to say Christmas on here instead of Holiday

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agreed about the college game. I think the OAD and kids wanting to get to the nba ASAP phenomenon has caused teams to cater to them and run what the nba does just to show nba teams players can be successful in it so they will get drafted higher. Agreed college kids can’t execute it well for the most part. At least there is more variation. That said it can get really frustrating watching college kids clank shots one after another for several trips down the floor. I get why people like what they like. I’m not going to criticize someone else for it. The college game is fast becoming professionalized with the player being paid and the offenses. Funny how the opposite has happened in the nfl where the innovation has come from the college game. That said I think it was necessary because of the lack of elite qb and offensive line play. Teams had to make their offenses friendly to young qbs and lineman because coaches needed to succeed right away because they couldn’t afford to lose or they would get fired. 

Archived