Poll: What is Your Favorite Basketball to Watch? NBA, International (Olympic/World Games), College, or High School?

IUFLA

Poll: What is Your Favorite Basketball to Watch? NBA, International (Olympic/World Games), College, or High School?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is Your Favorite Basketball to Watch? NBA, International (Olympic/World Games), College, or High School?

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree, and I'd also argue the 2014 Spurs. Honestly, if some had never seen basketball and asked me to show them what offense in basketball looks like, I would throw in the tape of the Spurs dismantling the Heat in that years NBA Finals. Their offense was beautiful. 

Just saw you also mentioned the Spurs. GS was terrific but they didn’t start it, it started with Pop. There were several Spurs teams since the Big Fundamental was drafted and Parker came in that moved the ball with extreme finesse.

Parker tells a Funny story how Duncan refused to speak to him, at all, until Parker proved himself. Really funny, Parker was totally intimidated.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't want players at any level talking to the officials because they need to worry about playing the game.  I know when I was more interested in chirping with the refs my play went downhill.  I think I received two techs in my time and had bad games in both of those games.

My main complaint and when people talk about what era's is better I come to one thing with this era and it is to sterile.  Everything has to be just politically correct and you have to watch everything you do and say.  It is taking personalities out of sports and making it so robotic.  That is another reason I don't like all the decisions made in sports come from analytics.  sports are played and coached by humans and want to see those guys show some emotion.  I hate when I see players talking and being friendly with players form the other team and being buddy buddy with them.

Haven't you said before your playing days topped out at a church league? No offense man, but it's not the same. 

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't want players at any level talking to the officials because they need to worry about playing the game.  I know when I was more interested in chirping with the refs my play went downhill.  I think I received two techs in my time and had bad games in both of those games.

My main complaint and when people talk about what era's is better I come to one thing with this era and it is to sterile.  Everything has to be just politically correct and you have to watch everything you do and say.  It is taking personalities out of sports and making it so robotic.  That is another reason I don't like all the decisions made in sports come from analytics.  sports are played and coached by humans and want to see those guys show some emotion.  I hate when I see players talking and being friendly with players form the other team and being buddy buddy with them.

Scott, you're all over the place in this post. These athletes are still people and people are social creatures. Some of the players from opposing teams they may know and be friends with from the past. They may be former teammates. At the college level for conference opponents, they're someone they play against often, usually 2-3 times per year. At the NBA level, they definitely play against them multiple times per year. They also already have something in common: basketball from a player's point of view. They can relate to each other over that.

The same goes for officials. They have basketball in common and they see the same officials over and over again. The cynical part of me would also point out that being buddy buddy with an official certainly wouldn't hurt. The official is just a human, after all, and might just swallow his whistle at some point or at least give someone that is nice to him the benefit of the doubt on a call that could go either way. Not that officials aren't professional - most of them are - but they are humans.

Besides, sports are supposed to be fun, even if you get paid to play. I think someone who is having fun will play harder than someone who isn't having fun. We've all seen IU teams that had games where they didn't look like they were having fun going back as far as I can remember watching basketball. That has been happening a lot recently and those usually don't go well. Some people are naturally chatty and even more so when they're having fun.

Someone can be friends and/or chatty with opponents while still being focused on the game and wanting to win. When a player is chatting with another person during the game, they're showing their personality which you say you want to see. Do you want to see that or not?

You say that you don't want robots playing and recognize that they're humans then you turn around and say they should go against human nature. Which is it?

Also, sports analytics are not PC, don't make the game robotic, and doesn't take personality from the sport. The coaches and players are still making decisions, they're just making decisions backed by numbers to give them the best chance to win rather than just relying on "gut feelings." When looking at the numbers new things can jump out and old ways of doing things can be shown to be ineffective or not as effective as thought. They're used for continuous improvement in a game that constantly changes anyways. Ball in the '90s wasn't the same as ball in the '70s which was different from that played in the '50s which had changed from the '30s, etc. I know you have an era you wish had remained as the status quo of basketball, but even within that time the game was constantly changing. 

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What did Izzo do to Aaron that was objectionable?

It's not okay to get in someone's face and scream like that, coach or not. The fact that it happened in public just makes it worse. 

How would you react to your boss doing that to you at work, with a news camera there and broadcasting it all over the tv and internet?

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

It's not okay to get in someone's face and scream like that, coach or not. The fact that it happened in public just makes it worse. 

How would you react to your boss doing that to you at work, with a news camera there and broadcasting it all over the tv and internet?

What is wrong with it and if you don't like it then go elsewhere to play.

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's not how you talk to or treat people. I'm not sure how that isn't obvious...

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this topic.  I hate that the MLB has taken away the manager and umpires arguments.  I guess I see it as some discipline and maybe this country can use more of it instead of people having thin skin.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this topic.  I hate that the MLB has taken away the manager and umpires arguments.  I guess I see it as some discipline and maybe this country can use more of it instead of people having thin skin.

Being a decent person and treating people with respect has nothing to do with having thin skin. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Speaking of thin skin, how about Izzo refusing to speak on the rape allegations at MSU, constantly saying "this isn't the time or place to talk about it", or Izzo crying like a 3rd grader anytime a call doesn't go his way, or Izzo acting like he never heard of Justin Smith when Smith torched him a couple years ago. 

Does anybody have a thinner skin than Tom Izzo? Yet he has no problem screaming his face off directly at a kid on national TV under the guise of "discipline".

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Being a decent person and treating people with respect has nothing to do with having thin skin. 

Well thousands of players through the years survived being yelled at and a lot of them were able to prosper in life.  Is it alright for drill sergeants in the military do a lot worse than coaches.

Just now, BGleas said:

Speaking of thin skin, how about Izzo refusing to speak on the rape allegations at MSU, constantly saying "this isn't the time or place to talk about it", or Izzo crying like a 3rd grader anytime a call doesn't go his way, or Izzo acting like he never heard of Justin Smith when Smith torched him a couple years ago. 

Does anybody have a thinner skin than Tom Izzo? Yet he has no problem screaming his face off directly at a kid on national TV under the guise of "discipline".

We are not talking about those allegations which are horrible and probably should lost his job over it.  Just saying getting into a kids face yelling at them is no big deal.

Well thousands of players through the years survived being yelled at and a lot of them were able to prosper in life.  Is it alright for drill sergeants in the military do a lot worse than coaches.

Comparing coaches to drill sargent's is exactly the problem. Drill sargent's are getting you ready for war, coaches are.... Coaching a game. 

That doesn't even get into the fact that tons of people end up with psychological trauma from that type of treatment. At least I'm the military there's a pretty strong case the ends justify the means. 

We are not talking about those allegations which are horrible and probably should lost his job over it.  Just saying getting into a kids face yelling at them is no big deal.

You whine we people complain in a post game thread. How can you possibly think what Izzo does is okay but it isn't okay for fans to do far less?

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

agree with you Scott, but society has changed so much.  it's not okay to push players to their limit anymore.  everyone is easily offended and everything you do is highlighted in the media.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, not always for the better.  Yes, we've made strides on many important things, but getting offended when a coach tells a player to get his head out of his backside is seriously too soft.  

100% agree.  one of the many reasons i stopped coaching at the high school level was that i knew i could make my players better if i could coach them how i wanted, but i also knew they couldn't take it and wouldn't respond.  it was emotionally draining to try to entertain them to motivate them instead of just saying - do it my way, don't question me, this will make you better!  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

And, not always for the better.  Yes, we've made strides on many important things, but getting offended when a coach tells a player to get his head out of his backside is seriously too soft.  

It's not what is said, it's how it's said. 

And it's not too soft too treat people with respect. If you really thought that was the case then I think you'd have picked a different IU board instead of following this group around for years. Or do you expect 19 year olds to put up with things you wouldn't?

I watch all of the games of the teams below before watching other games. 

IU

Mavs

UT

After that I'll find a game of interest in college over a game of interest in the NBA during the regular season.  I'm going to watch Iowa vs MSU this year over a Portland/GS game. 

If there is no game of interest then I'd watch a Random NBa game over Random college game because the execution in NBA is much better whether you like the style of the game or not. I'd watch the wolves/Kings over an SEC game. Now if Bill Walton is calling a USC-Washington St. game then I might want to get a World according to Bill Walton fix.

This weekend I really got caught up watching the Blazers  because it appears that Harry Giles may have overcome his injuries and arrived. He was really flashing some game and is still only 22. 

I like the the NCAA tournament more but watch a ton of the NBA playoffs which are awesome.  I voted college but could go either way because IU and NCAA trumps all but I certainly watch more NBA than college overall.   

Archived