Fort Wayne Snider

rico

It seems like a lot of people in authority have yet to understand that the world has changed.  When I grew up in the 70's and 80's, there were a lot of coaches that had some 'Bob Knight' in them.  Ad, honestly, among my peers, the kids (or their parents) that made an issue of it, were considered soft.  But, today is a totally different world.   Coaches simply can't act that way and have it ignored any longer.  

In this case, the story is a little light on details, so it's hard to determine how egregious the incident was.  

Sheesh, and I was surprised to see it is a girl player.   That’s unacceptable and plain wrong. 

Maybe coaches need to be sent to training on these things.   We put on training where I work about harassment and other things.  It’s slightly different but the point is the same, educating folks on acceptable versus unacceptable. 

IMO any employer who doesn’t have documented training sessions on such things is asking for trouble.   

On 12/23/2017 at 11:49 AM, BobSaccamanno said:

Sheesh, and I was surprised to see it is a girl player.   That’s unacceptable and plain wrong. 

Maybe coaches need to be sent to training on these things.   We put on training where I work about harassment and other things.  It’s slightly different but the point is the same, educating folks on acceptable versus unacceptable. 

IMO any employer who doesn’t have documented training sessions on such things is asking for trouble.   

I've been through all types of trainings- ethics, diversity, etc and I can't say they are going to change peoples behavior. You are either honest or not, kind to others or not. I don't see where a few hours once a year is going to result in a change of behavior. Most people I have witnessed don't take these trainings seriously anyways.

Having a mandate and culture set at the top of the organization that is fairly (without regards to seniority/ status) enforced is what will make a difference. Knowing that you can't get away with it will change some behaviors. How many times was a certain behavior been known- or at least rumored about where a little digging would have uncovered it? From Bob Knight to Hollywood and Washington DC, we have plenty of examples where improper behaviors were allowed to flourish. Expose it to some sunlight and put in some ramifications and behavior will improve.

While I agree with your take on it, I was more focused in terms of legal liability.  An organization could be doomed if it does not have measures in place.  To try to minimize liability, you have mandatory training, keep track of attendance, have continual  training, etc.  If those steps are not taken, someone with a legal claim would use it against the organization.  

There have been times when a FEMALE pushed me to the point of ALMOST socking her ! However , I have never done so and I find it REPULSIVE [if TRUE] that a girls BASKETBALL COACH should hit/smack/ or slap one of his girls !!  Hell , just take her out of the game and put her on the [censured] BENCH !1 RMK always said that the BENCH is a POWERFUL MOTIVATOR !!

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

While I agree with your take on it, I was more focused in terms of legal liability.  An organization could be doomed if it does not have measures in place.  To try to minimize liability, you have mandatory training, keep track of attendance, have continual  training, etc.  If those steps are not taken, someone with a legal claim would use it against the organization.  

I agree wholeheartedly with that. I  do think it's ridiculous that we have arrived at that point, however. Why not just deal with the problem people instead of imposing costs (time and $) on those who are not the problem? Whether it's sexual harrassment or guns or a whole host of other issues, the feel good solution is to impose restrictions on those who are not the problem instead of imposing consequences on those who are the problem. [end of rant}

Archived