The 10 biggest disappointments thus far.

rico

4 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

No one outside of the fan base expected anything from the team this year. 

No one expected anything from Ohio State either.  Like Indiana, they have a new coach, under even tougher circumstances.  And, even though they will lose to UNC today, they are 10-4.

The IU fan base needs to stop making excuses and call this season for what it is.  And, that's disappointing. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

No one expected anything from Ohio State either.  Like Indiana, they have a new coach, under even tougher circumstances.  And, even though they will lose to UNC today, they are 10-4.

The IU fan base needs to stop making excuses and call this season for what it is.  And, that's disappointing. 

It's been very disappointing.  OSU was ranked below us in all 4 pre-season rankings I just looked at, and they've clearly been the better team so far this year.  I'm tired of the excuses.

I am disappointed as any other IU fan at this point in time.  By my prognostications we should be sitting at 9-4.  With losses to Seton Hall, Duke, Louisville, and Notre Dame.  Didn't work out that way.  But it can all be made up in conference play.  Will it?  I dunno.  But the national media nor the B1G media thought we were going to do anything this year.

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How could IU be a disappointment when most picked us to finish around 11th in the big ten.

Very few had IU as low as 11th.  And, even those that did would not have predicted the Hoosiers to lose to ISU and Fort Wayne.  

Reminder to everyone.  This is NOT a repeat of the situation when Crean took over.  IU's season has been disappointing any way you look at it.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Very few had IU as low as 11th.  And, even those that did would not have predicted the Hoosiers to lose to ISU and Fort Wayne.  

Reminder to everyone.  This is NOT a repeat of the situation when Crean took over.  IU's season has been disappointing any way you look at it.

I agree completely.  Arch didn't take over a program where the cupboard was bare.  And I am losing interest in this year's team rapidly.

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don’t think think anyone is crazy enough to think this is even close to the roster that Crean took over in his first year.  With that said, anyone one who doesn’t see that this is a very poorly constructed roster is kidding themselves.  We shouldn’t have loss to ISU or IPFW, but we did and it’s pretty obvious (imo) it was due to all of the players not buying in to the new expectation (ISU) and one being a total let down, thinking they could just show up and beat the other team (IPFW).  If you remove all of the careless turnovers from the IPFW game, we win.  All of the other games we’ve played, I’ve been happy with the effort level.  Certain players just need to have that effort expectation drilled into them a little more it seems so that they bring that every game, not just the big ones.

1 minute ago, StLHoosier said:

I don’t think think anyone is crazy enough to think this is even close to the roster that Crean took over in his first year.  With that said, anyone one who doesn’t see that this is a very poorly constructed roster is kidding themselves.  We shouldn’t have loss to ISU or IPFW, but we did and it’s pretty obvious (imo) it was due to all of the players not buying in to the new expectation (ISU) and one being a total let down, thinking they could just show up and beat the other team (IPFW).  If you remove all of the careless turnovers from the IPFW game, we win.  All of the other games we’ve played, I’ve been happy with the effort level.  Certain players just need to have that effort expectation drilled into them a little more it seems so that they bring that every game, not just the big ones.

One thing here concerning the Fort Wayne game.  You aint gonna win any games when you give up 17 3's.

The disappointment for me more so than anything has to be the recruiting.  Our 2018 class is okay but I truly thought Archie would have a big time commit or two by now.  I mean Crean had Watford on board before his first season began who was a consensus top 40 player and he inherited a situation a million times worse than Archie.  

3 of 10 are Big Ten teams.  IU is one and one in the BT with the real season starting after one more game.  So far, one unexpected win and two horrible losses.  If it weren't for the way they lost and who they lost to, i would say they are minus one for the season.  Those two losses are a stench hanging over the program.  I like what CAM said after the FW loss and have hope that this team can continue to improve.

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

The disappointment for me more so than anything has to be the recruiting.  Our 2018 class is okay but I truly thought Archie would have a big time commit or two by now.  I mean Crean had Watford on board before his first season began who was a consensus top 40 player and he inherited a situation a million times worse than Archie.  

I agree. I’m all in so far on Archie as a basketball coach. Love what I’ve seen so far. My only question is to what level will he recruit? It’s not a criticism, just a question. So far I like his inside/out approach and everything he’s saying/doing there, but at the end of the day to make IU consistently great you’ve got to land the Langford’s, Brooks, TJD’s, etc,. 

There should be a little honeymoon period here with a new coach where there is some excitement from local recruits and high school coaches. Even Crean experienced that with his run of Zeller, Yogi, Hollowell, Hartman, Lyles, JBJ, etc. 

I’m not criticizing Archie, it’s just the only question I still have. In his defense, getting Phinisee and Anderson was pretty big, and Hunter is now ranked 55th in the country and rising. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree. I’m all in so far on Archie as a basketball coach. Love what I’ve seen so far. My only question is to what level will he recruit? It’s not a criticism, just a question. So far I like his inside/out approach and everything he’s saying/doing there, but at the end of the day to make IU consistently great you’ve got to land the Langford’s, Brooks, TJD’s, etc,. 

There should be a little honeymoon period here with a new coach where there is some excitement from local recruits and high school coaches. Even Crean experienced that with his run of Zeller, Yogi, Hollowell, Hartman, Lyles, JBJ, etc. 

I’m not criticizing Archie, it’s just the only question I still have. In his defense, getting Phinisee and Anderson was pretty big, and Hunter is now ranked 55th in the country and rising. 

I see the recruits he has landed as just the beginning, his starting point in recruiting at IU.  Time will tell us what sort of commits he will bring in and given everything CAM has done so far, it will not take much time to answer our questions.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

In his defense, getting Phinisee and Anderson was pretty big, and Hunter is now ranked 55th in the country and rising. 

This.  I think we’re going to be pleasantly surprised by the recruiting class we have coming in sans Romeo.  CAM has pretty much brought in what we severely lack this year.  He has a true PG coming in that will be able to score but run the offense at the same time.  Anderson brings the outside shooting that we severely lack, and Hunter is going to be a STUD imo.  Hunter can handle the ball, play in the post, shoot from outside and create for himself all at 6’7”.  He’s very athletic and smooth too.  Also, from everything I’ve heard, Forrester is a good get too.  Very long, tall kid with bounce and a decent shot.  He just needs to add some size like most high school kids do.  Like others have said, rankings don’t mean everything.  There’s tons of kids in the top 100 who won’t pan out, and there’s tons of kids outside the top 100 who will.

11 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

This.  I think we’re going to be pleasantly surprised by the recruiting class we have coming in sans Romeo.  CAM has pretty much brought in what we severely lack this year.  He has a true PG coming in that will be able to score but run the offense at the same time.  Anderson brings the outside shooting that we severely lack, and Hunter is going to be a STUD imo.  Hunter can handle the ball, play in the post, shoot from outside and create for himself all at 6’7”.  He’s very athletic and smooth too.  Also, from everything I’ve heard, Forrester is a good get too.  Very long, tall kid with bounce and a decent shot.  He just needs to add some size like most high school kids do.  Like others have said, rankings don’t mean everything.  There’s tons of kids in the top 100 who won’t pan out, and there’s tons of kids outside the top 100 who will.

Exactly. Stars and rankings obviously aren’t irrelevant, they certainly have value. But often today they’re given too much value. This is a really good recruiting class that fits several needs. I think we’re gonna he happy. And then you add in Race Thompson who will be debuting at the same time and it just gets even better

The frustration by some is understandable.  We have really not recovered and sustained any competitiveness for several years.  BUT, and in spite of some troubling losses to open the season, I truly believe IU will build through this season and be as good as this group can be by the end of the year.  Guessing here, but 17-15 would be about where this group ends up, and this will be the basement under Archie.  Next season will be a huge jump in talent and depth on the roster, Archie will have begun to establish his culture, and we should be able to begin sustaining success.  

There are several players to be excited about on next year’s team, with or without Romeo.  Damezi Anderson is aggressive and talented and Phinisee is a pure point guard who should start from game 1.  Nothing but good ahead for IU and its fans.  

Don't get me wrong I'm very excited about next season's class but again Crean had the same type of class coming in with Watford, Creek, Hulls, Elston, and Capo and he inherited a much worse situation.   The coach at IU should have no trouble landing guys in that 50-125 range all day long. 

And while some may disagree I really think whether or not Archie succeeds here will be defined by Romeo, TJD and Brooks.  Land all 3 and you might as well give him a lifetime extension.   Land 2 and it's looking very good.  Land 1 and it's pretty iffy.   Whiff on all 3 and Fred may as well have the lawyers fire up the paperwork already.  That's just how I see it.

Archived