Former Indiana HS basketball players.

rico

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Louie Dampier was a two time all-american in college and is in the Basketball Hall of Fame.  I would rate him ahead of Macy and Skiles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Dampier

Can't disagree as all of this is subjective.  Just discussion purposes.  And in my OP I stated that 4 and 5 were ?'s because I would forget about somebody.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hoosier Daddy 4 said:

Just thought of three other recent Indiana Mr Basketballs that had good not great college careers but look to have lasting NBA careers. Gordon may end up very high on that list.  His IU year was pretty good and seems to be getting better with the Rockets  

1 Eric Gordon

2 Cody Zeller 

3 Tyler Zeller

Good names.  But following the criteria who would your top 5 be?

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Good names.  But following the criteria who would your top 5 be?

Not old enough to know much about some of the guys probably most deserving of that three tier career.  Guys I watched or know more about had a deficiency in one of those steps.  My list

1 Calbert Cheaney. Favorite all time Hoosier

2 Glenn Robinson

3 Shawn Kemp 

4 Zach Randolph

5 Jay Edwards/Eric Gordon

McRoberts and Oden were back to back POTY, and Gordon made it there straight depending on who you ask. The feel of this thread is pretty clearly not talking about guys that recent for one reason or another, but those three can play with should in the top 5 in high school. For my top 5 I'll go with a starting 5 of:

Oscar

EJ

Romeo

McRoberts

Oden

Just now, rico said:

Bailey's pro career was non-existant and Yogi's is TBD.  The criteria was to have excelled at all three levels.  HS, college, and the pros.

Yeah I'm just throwing out names of guys who were good in high school. I think there's less room for debate about how good guys were when you factor in all three levels. Guys like Bird, McGinnis and Oscar should be unamimous choices. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I'm just throwing out names of guys who were good in high school. I think there's less room for debate about how good guys were when you factor in all three levels. Guys like Bird, McGinnis and Oscar should be unamimous choices. 

After seeing some name thrown out there that I had forgot about my "updated" 5  would be :

Oscar

Bird

McGinnis

Dampier

Lovellete

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

19 hours ago, rico said:

Kind of surprised at you Mile.  I would put Junior Bridgeman ahead of Robinson.  

I had the privilege of meeting Junior and playing some ball with him in the summer of 71. He was an awesome talent and an outstanding person. He could jump out of the gym. Junior could do it all and today he is a multi-millionaire who owns many Wendy's franchises. 

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

McRoberts and Oden were back to back POTY, and Gordon made it there straight depending on who you ask. The feel of this thread is pretty clearly not talking about guys that recent for one reason or another, but those three can play with should in the top 5 in high school. For my top 5 I'll go with a starting 5 of:

Oscar

EJ

Romeo

McRoberts

Oden

We re talking about HS, college and pro careers so how can you have Romeo in there.  If you are going just by HS career Bailey and Alford would be ahead of any of those players except Oscar.

When you have to consider NBA career for all-time great Indiana players, there are only 3 available slots, as Oscar and Larry occupy 1 & 2. One could argue how their game translates to today’s, but that’s a different discussion. 

Next is whether an NBA career trumps a HS and college. Or does college trump an NBA. 

Long before Glenn Robinson, there was another Gary Roosevelt standout that excelled on all three levels.. high school, college and the NBA.  Dick Barnett.

In 1955, Barnett took his Roosevelt Panthers to the state championship game.  Losing to the Crispus Attucks and Oscar Robinson.  Dick then moved onto a non D-1 college, and led that team to three national championships for that level.  Then it was onto the NBA for over a dozen years, ending with his jersey being retired from New York.  

Dick Barnett

Editing to add, a video of the championship game between "The Velt' and Cripus Attucks from 1955.  Note the shorts of the Roosevelt players.... precursors to the IU Candy Stripes.

Dick Barnett 18pts, 3reb (1955 IHSAA Championship - Full Highlights) 

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Long before Glenn Robinson, there was another Gary Roosevelt standout that excelled on all three levels.. high school, college and the NBA.  Dick Barnett.

In 1955, Barnett took his Roosevelt Panthers to the state championship game.  Losing to the Crispus Attucks and Oscar Robinson.  Dick then moved onto a non D-1 college, and led that team to three national championships for that level.  Then it was onto the NBA for over a dozen years, ending with his jersey being retired from New York.  

Dick Barnett

Another guy I forgot about.  Geez.

Archived