Youngstown St postgame thoughts and MVP

Reacher

see, again, i was not impressed with this win.  it was just ugly basketball to watch for about the first what?  8 game minutes?  i mean really ugly.  we just looked like a bad basketball team.  then sure, eventually we started to pull away before half and i got bored in the 2nd half like you'd hope we would vs. Youngstown St.  i still just find it hard to watch.  still a huge fan of Johnson and Newkirk playing less and less.  

9 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Is it just me or is anyone else disappointed with Hartman this year? Really thought he'd bring more

I am not disappointed in the least.  Considering the number of injuries Collin has gone through his entire career.  Let's not forget he lost time in November due to a groin injury.  Donuts to a dollar, he is playing through some sort of malady, that only he knows about.  The kid knows the game.  Can shoot the three, as good or better than any one else on the team.  And is just plain a leader. 

I would love to see him back in the future, as a grad assistant.... similar to Coach K, under Bobby Knight. 

Coach K and Bobby Knight: A season on the bench

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

see, again, i was not impressed with this win.  it was just ugly basketball to watch for about the first what?  8 game minutes?  i mean really ugly.  we just looked like a bad basketball team.  then sure, eventually we started to pull away before half and i got bored in the 2nd half like you'd hope we would vs. Youngstown St.  i still just find it hard to watch.  still a huge fan of Johnson and Newkirk playing less and less.  

I agree, it wasn’t a thing of beauty, but it was a win that we should’ve had and we won in convincing fashion! It’s funny, I never get bored with an IU game. I was still yelling at my tv with 2 or 3 min to play. Josh played a solid game and Rob has played pretty good D all year. Those to have to play and play well for us to have a chance this year!

12 hours ago, Hoosrnight said:

I agree, it wasn’t a thing of beauty, but it was a win that we should’ve had and we won in convincing fashion! It’s funny, I never get bored with an IU game. I was still yelling at my tv with 2 or 3 min to play. Josh played a solid game and Rob has played pretty good D all year. Those to have to play and play well for us to have a chance this year!

i'm usually that way too and always look forward to each game no matter who we play and no mater how good we are, but i'm tellin ya, our games have been so ugly even when we win it gets a little tougher.  

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am not disappointed in the least.  Considering the number of injuries Collin has gone through his entire career.  Let's not forget he lost time in November due to a groin injury.  Donuts to a dollar, he is playing through some sort of malady, that only he knows about.  The kid knows the game.  Can shoot the three, as good or better than any one else on the team.  And is just plain a leader. 

I would love to see him back in the future, as a grad assistant.... similar to Coach K, under Bobby Knight. 

Coach K and Bobby Knight: A season on the bench

i'm not disappointed either.  i think many had expectations for Hartman this year that i could not understand.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm not disappointed either.  i think many had expectations for Hartman this year that i could not understand.  

I think this is fair. Colin is a solid, smart role player. He was never going to be a big scorer. He is a good addition to the team, no doubt. But not a drastic game changer.

His maturity is probably his biggest assert to this team.

The only disappointment I have with Collin's play so far is that his 3-point shooting is down. He's shooting something like 30% - he's a better shooter than that and his outside shooting would really help this team (same comment goes for Rob, whose outside shooting also has been off). Collin's a guy you want on any team, regardless.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The only disappointment I have with Collin's play so far is that his 3-point shooting is down. He's shooting something like 30% - he's a better shooter than that and his outside shooting would really help this team (same comment goes for Rob, whose outside shooting also has been off). Collin's a guy you want on any team, regardless.

I guess this is where my disappointment is as well. I mean leadership is important, but I think Juwan is showing that more. We need shooting

This team is just not very good.  They got near book-end pre-season beat downs at home at the hands of two mediocre teams,  ISU and IPFW.  They've shown a little hope recently against really bad Youngstown and just bad Tennessee Tech, but that doesn't mean much.  Morgan, McRoberts, and Durham have been pleasant surprises, but the rest are disappointments and/or inconsistent.

Forget the NIT.  Right now they are destined to be cellar dwellers in B1G unless they improve significantly.

I'm hoping for significant improvement, but I'm not holding out great hope.

2 hours ago, slojoe said:

This team is just not very good.  They got near book-end pre-season beat downs at home at the hands of two mediocre teams,  ISU and IPFW.  They've shown a little hope recently against really bad Youngstown and just bad Tennessee Tech, but that doesn't mean much.  Morgan, McRoberts, and Durham have been pleasant surprises, but the rest are disappointments and/or inconsistent.

Forget the NIT.  Right now they are destined to be cellar dwellers in B1G unless they improve significantly.

I'm hoping for significant improvement, but I'm not holding out great hope.

We've played 14 games, you're focusing on the two bad ones.  If you evaluate us on the other 12, we look like a solid NIT team and if we gel who knows? 

Groin injuries impact a player's ability to lift.  Hence having an impact on their three point shooting.  One month removed from a groin injury that kept Collin on the bench... is the the reason why I posted that I do believe he is still having issues.   Not the first time we have gone through a season with a hampered player, only to find out, after the season was over that said player was playing through and despite of  an injury. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Groin injuries impact a player's ability to lift.  Hence having an impact on their three point shooting.  One month removed from a groin injury that kept Collin on the bench... is the the reason why I posted that I do believe he is still having issues.   Not the first time we have gone through a season with a hampered player, only to find out, after the season was over that said player was playing through and despite of  an injury. 

Yes, his FG percentages reflect what you say.   He is  playing several minutes less/game than he has in the past.  He also is fouling more.

Hartman is exactly what I expected.  A leader of the team but not really a very good basketball player.  His stats never says he was going to be great.  And after 2 knee surgeries I am even less surprised.  He is a good kid just not a good basketball player.

Now I will admit I was wrong about McBob.  He has been a surprise.  Hope he can continue this level in B1G play.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

It's a thin line between love and hate. Knowing all that Collin has gone through during his time at IU...  For me Collin is ....  The Man

Liking a player who percevers through hardship is ok.  But blind brief that he is more than he is is not.  Colin is a good kid who had bad things happen to him.  But he never showed signs of being anything more than a role player.

11 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Liking a player who percevers through hardship is ok.  But blind brief that he is more than he is is not.  Colin is a good kid who had bad things happen to him.  But he never showed signs of being anything more than a role player.

Every team needs a role player, in my estimation. In this case, knowing all that Collin has gone through in terms of injury, raises him to above a role player. Much in the way D.J. White did, after he came back from more than one injury.  Don't miss understand what I am saying here. Collin is not on the same level as White was.  However, these are two guys who never gave up... despite devastating injuries, to come back from them and honorably do the best they could, to serve the tradition of what it means to be a Hoosier. 

On 12/31/2017 at 5:19 PM, milehiiu said:

Every team needs a role player, in my estimation. In this case, knowing all that Collin has gone through in terms of injury, raises him to above a role player. Much in the way D.J. White did, after he came back from more than one injury.  Don't miss understand what I am saying here. Collin is not on the same level as White was.  However, these are two guys who never gave up... despite devastating injuries, to come back from them and honorably do the best they could, to serve the tradition of what it means to be a Hoosier. 

We will just have to disagree on Colin.  I am in the very small group who just wish he would have moved on and not taken up a scholarship this year.  I think he is a great kid and yes all teams need role players but he isn't really even that this year.  To many injuries for to long a time has stunted what limited game he had.  And i don't want to get into an argument about Colin.  I am not ever going to change my opinion, just like you.  I can accept what you believe, just not agree with it.

25 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We will just have to disagree on Colin.  I am in the very small group who just wish he would have moved on and not taken up a scholarship this year.  I think he is a great kid and yes all teams need role players but he isn't really even that this year.  To many injuries for to long a time has stunted what limited game he had.  And i don't want to get into an argument about Colin.  I am not ever going to change my opinion, just like you.  I can accept what you believe, just not agree with it.

Certainly appreciate your opinion.  And the civil way in which you expressed it.  After all, that's what fanboards are for. 

Archived