McRoberts

KoB2011

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It could -- but it's also important that it's only been a few games where he played more than 12 to 15 minutes a game. Plus-minus of course measures the difference in points between the teams when you're on the floor. The more he plays, starter or non-starter, the more it tends to matter. I'll go back to the point that he could make a difference, but to what extent he does or doesn't takes time to assess.

In his start, his +/- was near the bottom. Have to figure some of that was due to who he was playing with. Will get a better idea after another game or two....

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

In his start, his +/- was near the bottom. Have to figure some of that was due to who he was playing with. Will get a better idea after another game or two....

Yeah that will remain a question. Again it's only one start in a road L at Wisconsin, and he's only played a few games with major minutes. I'm not saying people are "wrong" to think the team does better with him on the floor, but it's premature, imo, particularly as to his impact as a starter and long term. He's a solid DI player, he plays sound basketball, he may make the difference people are saying he makes, but I think we need more games to draw those conclusions. Hey, maybe Collin's rounding into form. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah that will remain a question. Again it's only one start in a road L at Wisconsin, and he's only played a few games with major minutes. I'm not saying people are "wrong" to think the team does better with him on the floor, but it's premature, imo, particularly as to his impact as a starter and long term. He's a solid DI player, he plays sound basketball, he may make the difference people are saying he makes, but I think we need more games to draw those conclusions. Hey, maybe Collin's rounding into form. 

I'd much rather see Collin in place of McRoberts. Hopefully that last game got his mojo back. With Morgan and Hartman we have 2 solid pieces. Need 1 guard to rise to that level. 

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If Collin rounds back into form, then absolutely would love to see him in the lineup and McRoberts bringing his energy and hustle off the bench. Would to see Hartman shake the rust off and finish his final season strong. If his shooting is back then it could really open the floor for some guys. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Since Zach started playing 20+ minutes per game here are his stats:

3.6 PPG

5.9 RPG

1.6 SPG

2.4 APG

0.6 TPG

40% FG

42% 3PFG

You're doing a little cover up there.  Most of/all of his points came form the lat 3 games before conference play.  He has 0 points in the 3 conference games.  I agree his rebounding, steals and assists are good and even have carried over in conference play.  But here is his stats in conference play

image.png.844c7adaa8259d47d8cba0ffd8803794.png

image.thumb.png.c189e3c43d1f6832bdc638c01758def4.png

0% FG on 4 shots

0% 3pfg on 1 shot

0% FT on 0 shots

But his Rebounding (Wisc withanding), steals, and assists are staying the same and Turnovers are down.

And then there is the always what doesn't show up on the stat sheets for hustle, smart fouls, and tenacity. 

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You're doing a little cover up there.  Most of/all of his points came form the lat 3 games before conference play.  He has 0 points in the 3 conference games.  I agree his rebounding, steals and assists are good and even have carried over in conference play.  But here is his stats in conference play

0% FG on 4 shots

0% 3pfg on 1 shot

0% FT on 0 shots

But his Rebounding (Wisc withanding), steals, and assists are staying the same and Turnovers are down.

And then there is the always what doesn't show up on the stat sheets for hustle, smart fouls, and tenacity. 

Agreed. Zach is a real hustle, "glue" guy that every team needs. He doesn't need to score much, though it helps spread the floor when he knocks down a couple threes here and there. He's really good at hitting the glass and helping keep possessions alive, and he plays hard nosed D. 

12 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

0% FG on 4 shots

0% 3pfg on 1 shot

0% FT on 0 shots

I don't think it's cover up. After ND he showed her could score if he got left some so teams stopped leaving him alone. If a team leaves him alone again I'm sure he will make them pay. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think it's cover up. After ND he showed her could score if he got left some so teams stopped leaving him alone. If a team leaves him alone again I'm sure he will make them pay. 

bad choice of words.  I would say that what he has showed before conference has not translated to conference play concerning his scoring.  Don't get me wrong though.  I appreciate his play and think he is top 3 on the team in play.  But as mentioned before, he has to do better than what he has done offensively in conference play.  He can't have 0 points game after game after game.  We don't have the scorers on the team to cover up for it on a consistent basis. 5 - 8 points and it opens up the floor.  Especially if he could hit a couple open 3s each game for a few games.  Then they would have to close out on him. 

I think he could also benefit from having the ball a bit longer.  He almost always passes it as soon as it touches his hands.  If he moved with the ball a bit more before passing if, make the guy guarding have to actually close and guard him.

No one is perfect, just an area of his game i personally think needs to improve to help this team win more games.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

are you saying we're a top 40 offensive ranked team? 

We're not top 40 team offensively now.  However, next year I think that top 40 is something that team can achieve.  If we get Romeo, we will definitely be top 40 and hopefully top 25.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

0% FG on 4 shots

0% 3pfg on 1 shot

0% FT on 0 shots

He has to at least attempt shots every now and then.  I would wager a lot of the offensive rebounds come because his guy is playing off,  so they lose track of him. I really wouldn't mind these numbers if his minutes were in half, but when you play that many minutes and don't shot, he becomes an offensive liability. He at least has to get some layups or dunks or something. I do love the steals and rebounds, but he should be able to score 4-6 points. He has a decent shot. 

9 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

He has to at least attempt shots every now and then.  I would wager a lot of the offensive rebounds come because his guy is playing off,  so they lose track of him. I really wouldn't mind these numbers if his minutes were in half, but when you play that many minutes and don't shot, he becomes an offensive liability. He at least has to get some layups or dunks or something. I do love the steals and rebounds, but he should be able to score 4-6 points. He has a decent shot. 

But why?.. they are respecting him now on the offensive end. 

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But why?.. they are respecting him now on the offensive end. 

I am not sure they are respecting him offensively.  At least not in the last 3 games.  Maybe the 3 non-cons that were of lesser caliber.  Will have to keep watching and see what he does.  I am sure CAM is seeing the same thing and addressing this.  Maybe a few plays to get him an open look or 2

28 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am not sure they are respecting him offensively.  At least not in the last 3 games.  Maybe the 3 non-cons that were of lesser caliber.  Will have to keep watching and see what he does.  I am sure CAM is seeing the same thing and addressing this.  Maybe a few plays to get him an open look or 2

What are you seeing that they aren't respecting him? Teams did lay off him, he proved he would score if they did that so now they no longer lay off. That's why his shot attempts dropped. 

They didn't drop because he is passing up shots he was taking in other games, it's because the defense makes a point not to lose track of him. 

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

0% FG on 4 shots

0% 3pfg on 1 shot

0% FT on 0 shots

The only thing I care about is that we have won the last 2 games and not how many points a certain player scores.

Archived