McRoberts

KoB2011

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

What are you seeing that they aren't respecting him? Teams did lay off him, he proved he would score if they did that so now they no longer lay off. That's why his shot attempts dropped. 

They didn't drop because he is passing up shots he was taking in other games, it's because the defense makes a point not to lose track of him. 

I love what McRoberts brings to the team. But let's not overstate his offense. We are a long way from saying Zach has "proven he can score". I went through game logs and in his last 13 Big Ten games, he has scored a grand total of 2 points, on 1-9 shooting. I realize he didn't play a ton in all of those games, but it's still a sample size of about 175 minutes. You cannot tell me he's a legitimate scoring threat with a straight face.

It is a credit to him that he brings value to this team despite his obvious offensive deficiencies. But if I am coaching against IU, I'm telling his man to help aggressively on other drivers or post-ups. Zach is going to have to shoot the ball at some point.

1 hour ago, Shooter said:

I love what McRoberts brings to the team. But let's not overstate his offense. We are a long way from saying Zach has "proven he can score". I went through game logs and in his last 13 Big Ten games, he has scored a grand total of 2 points, on 1-9 shooting. I realize he didn't play a ton in all of those games, but it's still a sample size of about 175 minutes. You cannot tell me he's a legitimate scoring threat with a straight face.

It is a credit to him that he brings value to this team despite his obvious offensive deficiencies. But if I am coaching against IU, I'm telling his man to help aggressively on other drivers or post-ups. Zach is going to have to shoot the ball at some point.

I don't disagree that I may try that, but other coaches haven't tried that in the past three conference games so what your or I would try is irrelevant. He only has to shoot the ball if he is being left open; he hasn't been getting left open the past three games. 

He clearly showed enough after ND that teams aren't begging him to shoot. There isn't a coach in America who cares more about what he did last B1G season than 5 games ago with regards to scouting him. 

It isn't overstating his offense to say he proved if teams left him alone that he could hit an open shot. That's exactly what he did. 

^^ If he's going to be an offensive threat, then he needs to score when he's defended with scouting reports. Several games back I said I'd like to see how he contributes after being scouted. From my vantage point, he's playing like a heck of a glue guy and is helping us with rebounding and pretty good D. Whatever offense he adds is, to an extent, gravy, but if he can show that he can score consistently, after scouting, in conference play, then he's helping us more.

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

Scoring has nothing to do with them respecting him.. I can bet you whatever you want his offensive reb ability is in everyone's scouting report. I still can't believe some still need for him to prove more. He's a winner. 

Have you read my posts.  I haven't once said he didn't contribute.  That is shouldn't be over the floor or that he isn't good for the team.  I says he needs to score something.  He has 0 points on the last 3 games and didn't shoot at all the just game.  It's the only thing I think he needs to address.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The only thing I care about is that we have won the last 2 games and not how many points a certain player scores.

Why can't I say he is a really good player and still say he has area to grow.  For God sake man.  I am just giving an opinion.  Never said I wasn't happy with the win or all other facets of his game.  

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ If he's going to be an offensive threat, then he needs to score when he's defended with scouting reports. Several games back I said I'd like to see how he contributes after being scouted. From my vantage point, he's playing like a heck of a glue guy and is helping us with rebounding and pretty good D. Whatever offense he adds is, to an extent, gravy, but if he can show that he can score consistently, after scouting, in conference play, then he's helping us more.

I agreed but glue guys usually are not your starters.  They are off the bench energy bringers.  I like the kid.  I love his energy and good rebooting and steals.  I just think a starter has to score something.  But that is my personal opinion.  And if we had lost those last 2 have by 2 or 4 points.  His lack of scoring stands out.  But winning allows for him not to.  Again just my opinion.  I like the kid

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I agreed but glue guys usually are not your starters.  They are off the bench energy bringers.  I like the kid.  I love his energy and good rebooting and steals.  I just think a starter has to score something.  But that is my personal opinion.  And if we had lost those last 2 have by 2 or 4 points.  His lack of scoring stands out.  But winning allows for him not to.  Again just my opinion.  I like the kid

OG Anunoby is playing that role and starting for one of the best teams in the NBA this season.

16 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Did you see my stats on Chris Reynolds?

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't disagree that I may try that, but other coaches haven't tried that in the past three conference games so what your or I would try is irrelevant. He only has to shoot the ball if he is being left open; he hasn't been getting left open the past three games. 

He clearly showed enough after ND that teams aren't begging him to shoot. There isn't a coach in America who cares more about what he did last B1G season than 5 games ago with regards to scouting him. 

It isn't overstating his offense to say he proved if teams left him alone that he could hit an open shot. That's exactly what he did. 

Wisconsin was begging him to shoot. We really, really struggled getting the ball to Morgan on the block at Wisconsin. That's not all on McRoberts, of course. But it is absolutely a symptom of poor floor spacing.

Forget last season if you want. He's played double digit minutes in ten games this season. Yes, he made a handful of shots at home against low-major opposition. In the other 7 games, all against high major opposition, he's made a total of 2 baskets. That's a sample of 155 minutes. Five points, on 2-10 FG, 1-2 FT.

Just to clarify my position on him. I respect the hell out of the kid. He has absolutely earned a starting spot with his defense and offensive rebounding. But if he wants to remain a legitimate Big Ten contributor, he is going to have to look at the basket sometimes. Nobody fears his jumper because he scored 8 points against Tennessee Tech.

I'm fine with the way McRoberts is playing. He's absolutely impacting the game with his defense, rebounding and ball/people movement, and it seems his energy/effort is trickling down. But if he has it in him, it would really help the team if he could somehow develop a reliable 3-pt shot. Even if it's just a corner 3 that he can hit when the ball reverses. I do agree with KoB that the last two games teams have respected him on offense. Part of the reason he hasn't gotten shots is that teams aren't leaving him open and he's not going to force anything. 

But on a team that struggles to score it would really help if he could knock down a couple open shots a game. That would also make the team more versatile. Right now Archie is a little limited in lineups he can throw out there offensively. It's virtually impossible to have a lineup that includes McRoberts, Durham and McSwain since neither can be counted on to hit open shots or create opportunities (outside of McRoberts o-boards). 

7 minutes ago, rico said:

McBob would be fine if some of the other guys would do what they are supposed to be doing on a regular basis.

Very good point. I think we can all agree that while this isn't a great shooting team, a lot of the struggles are on completely wide open shots. It's not like this team doesn't create offense and good looks. 

If you took our 3-pt numbers, from guys that you'd think we could count on, and put them where you'd think they would shoot, McRoberts taking shots wouldn't be an issues. 

RoJo: 30%, what if he was shooting 40%

Hartman: 32%, what if he was shooting 38%

Newkirk: 34%, what if he was shooting 38%

Green: 29%, what if he was shooting 35%

If those guys were shooting close to those numbers, the McRoberts thing wouldn't matter, and he's probably be getting more opportunities. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Very good point. I think we can all agree that while this isn't a great shooting team, a lot of the struggles are on completely wide open shots. It's not like this team doesn't create offense and good looks. 

If you took our 3-pt numbers, from guys that you'd think we could count on, and put them where you'd think they would shoot, McRoberts taking shots wouldn't be an issues. 

RoJo: 30%, what if he was shooting 40%

Hartman: 32%, what if he was shooting 38%

Newkirk: 34%, what if he was shooting 38%

Green: 29%, what if he was shooting 35%

If those guys were shooting close to those numbers, the McRoberts thing wouldn't matter, and he's probably be getting more opportunities. 

Bingo, add to it Justin needs more PT.

you certainly have to applaud what McRoberts has done this year.  just like the others said, it's tough because we are so up and down offensively that you do notice when we have lineups with non-scorers in like McRoberts and McSwain.  if we are greatly improved talent wise next year, i can see where his experience and effort could fit well with a group of guys who can put the ball in the basket.  i would still hope to see him as the 6th man personally.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

you certainly have to applaud what McRoberts has done this year.  just like the others said, it's tough because we are so up and down offensively that you do notice when we have lineups with non-scorers in like McRoberts and McSwain.  if we are greatly improved talent wise next year, i can see where his experience and effort could fit well with a group of guys who can put the ball in the basket.  i would still hope to see him as the 6th man personally.  

Next year is next year.  We need McRoberts this year.  The season isn't over yet.

34 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He will most definitely be a big part of the rotation, although maybe not a starter.  Our incoming freshmen aren’t good enough to knock him out of the rotation.

Let's back up the bus on that.  We have Morgan, we have Davis, we have Smith, we have Green, we have Race(who practiced all year).  Then we have the freshmen coming in and Rob will start.  Big part of the rotation?  Perhaps, but that aint the way I see it.

15 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Could definitely see him behind Phinisee, Hunter and Anderson...and if we land Romeo?

I’m operating under the assumption there’s pretty much no chance we land Romeo, but that would obviously change things.  As we’ve seen this year, Archie prefers to play upperclassmen.  And regardless, McRoberts isn’t really going to be competing with Phinisee for playing time, as they play different roles.  I can see Hunter being ahead of him in the rotation, but I doubt Anderson will be.  

39 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m operating under the assumption there’s pretty much no chance we land Romeo, but that would obviously change things.  As we’ve seen this year, Archie prefers to play upperclassmen.  And regardless, McRoberts isn’t really going to be competing with Phinisee for playing time, as they play different roles.  I can see Hunter being ahead of him in the rotation, but I doubt Anderson will be.  

You are cracking me up.  

Archived