McRoberts

KoB2011

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m operating under the assumption there’s pretty much no chance we land Romeo, but that would obviously change things.  As we’ve seen this year, Archie prefers to play upperclassmen.  And regardless, McRoberts isn’t really going to be competing with Phinisee for playing time, as they play different roles.  I can see Hunter being ahead of him in the rotation, but I doubt Anderson will be.  

If Damezi is as offensively limited as McBob (or moreso), then something is really wrong.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

true.  next year is much more exciting to think about though!

I'll be excited for next year...next year. But I'm not excited about losing our 2 starting guards and Collin Hartman. Granted they've underperformed by most of our standards, but I am not keen on counting on youth not named Romeo Langford next year. We see even elite recruits struggle to adapt to high D1 ball in their freshman year. And while I think RP is underrated, we don't even have any elite recruits. They're going to go through some growing pains. Yogi had his. Smith is having his. Davis the same. We've had other recruits ranked much higher than our incoming guys that never amounted to anything. I do, however, have confidence that Archie will make every recruit count much more than Crean's classes.

Ultimately, I feel more hopeful that our open shots start falling and make this a fun ending to this season, than I do counting on freshmen next year to make us a better team than we are this season. 

In a perfect world, McRob should be that energy guy off the bench who provides a spark as needed. He shouldn't be considered as an offensive option and anything that he gives us offensively should be considered gravy. That's in a perfect world, and maybe next year CAM will have enough firepower that Zach will be able to play to his strengths. This year is not a perfect world and Zach is being asked to do things that he shouldn't have to be responsible for. 

My feeling is, let's just get through this year. If Zach helps us make this year successful then great! Next year he will be asked to fill a completely different role.

4 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

McRoberts can't back up Newkirk. Green can. McRoberts can't backup Smith. Hartman can.

Don’t know where you’re getting this from. Before Davis was injured, the consistent starters were RoJo and Newkirk at guard, and Morgan and Davis at forward.  After Davis was hurt, Morgan slid down to the 5, and Smith took Morgan’s place at the 4.  Archie has been looking all season for someone to occupy that third guard/wing spot in the starting lineup.  Green and Durham have both started in that spot at various points this year, and then lost it to McRoberts because he outplayed them.  And even before McRoberts was inserted in the starting lineup, he was first off the bench before Hartman.

Two ways to look at this thread.  One.... we are talking about a non scholarship player.  And two... a player, who's stats don't show it... but is playing with impact. Either way. CAM sees the value.  And which ever way you take it.... I love it. Because he is a Hoosier.... and that is what Hoosier fans do.

If McRoberts isn't in the rotation next year it better be because all the guys in front of him defend, rebound and take care of the ball as well as him plus are bigger threats on offense. If that's the case, we will be REALLY good, but I don't think they'll all do all that better than him. I think we are selling Zach short for what he is good at because of what he isn't. He isn't just a hustle guy, he had some serious skills even if scoring isn't one of them. 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:33 AM, IowaHoosierFan said:

bad choice of words.  I would say that what he has showed before conference has not translated to conference play concerning his scoring.  Don't get me wrong though.  I appreciate his play and think he is top 3 on the team in play.  But as mentioned before, he has to do better than what he has done offensively in conference play.  He can't have 0 points game after game after game.  We don't have the scorers on the team to cover up for it on a consistent basis. 5 - 8 points and it opens up the floor.  Especially if he could hit a couple open 3s each game for a few games.  Then they would have to close out on him. 

I think he could also benefit from having the ball a bit longer.  He almost always passes it as soon as it touches his hands.  If he moved with the ball a bit more before passing if, make the guy guarding have to actually close and guard him.

No one is perfect, just an area of his game i personally think needs to improve to help this team win more games.

I think getting the ball out of his hands so fast helps the offense. Holding the ball, or hesitating, allows the defense time to hinder ball movement. We have had some terrific screens, cuts and passes, recently. I love the layups we're generating with our movement.  

i think this is an interesting thread because it's about a guy who from a talent standpoint, recruiting standpoint, etc. wasn't considered as someone who would play significant minutes.  due to our lack of talent and lack of meeting player expectations he has outworked and outplayed many.  i think what has me and some others up in arms is that if this program was anywhere near where we want it to be, he would not be starting and likely not in the rotation.  my biggest complaint when walk ons are playing is we have 13 guys on scholarship who theoretically have more potential.  shouldn't enough of those guys be playing hard every day and playing smart enough that a walk on wouldn't play ahead of them?  i'm just really hoping we are talented enough next year that his role is much different.

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think this is an interesting thread because it's about a guy who from a talent standpoint, recruiting standpoint, etc. wasn't considered as someone who would play significant minutes.  due to our lack of talent and lack of meeting player expectations he has outworked and outplayed many.  i think what has me and some others up in arms is that if this program was anywhere near where we want it to be, he would not be starting and likely not in the rotation.  my biggest complaint when walk ons are playing is we have 13 guys on scholarship who theoretically have more potential.  shouldn't enough of those guys be playing hard every day and playing smart enough that a walk on wouldn't play ahead of them?  i'm just really hoping we are talented enough next year that his role is much different.

One thing that gets lost is that McBob did get a D-1 scholarship.  It ain't like he didn't have the skill set although the last name probably helped.

32 minutes ago, rico said:

One thing that gets lost is that McBob did get a D-1 scholarship.  It ain't like he didn't have the skill set although the last name probably helped.

not lost with me, but there's a difference in getting a D-1 scholarship and being a major conference player or a player at a program with the history of Indiana.  i know when we aren't getting 5 stars people like to say that stars don't matter, but being recruited by Vermont, Miami (Ohio), and Northern Kentucky is usually a decent indicator of where coaches think a player is suited to play.  

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

not lost with me, but there's a difference in getting a D-1 scholarship and being a major conference player or a player at a program with the history of Indiana.  i know when we aren't getting 5 stars people like to say that stars don't matter, but being recruited by Vermont, Miami (Ohio), and Northern Kentucky is usually a decent indicator of where coaches think a player is suited to play.  

I know it's nice to be stacked on highly ranked recruits, but it's also nice to have a guy who plays very well as a glue guy, and yes those guys do start. 

Thing is, he is helping the team -- it would be one thing if we were starting an under-recruited kid who wasn't playing very well, who wasn't contributing well, but that's not the case here. Whether or not McRoberts can start next season, what he's doing now is helping us defensively and a lot on the glass, and he rarely makes dumb mistakes -- he also helps in maintaining possessions by not turning it over, as well as by hitting the offensive glass. You can contrast that with a kid like a Blackmon, fantastic offensive player, and you need guys who can rain threes, but he also struggled on the defensive end and made bad decisions etc. Having a guy who may not be a major scoring threat -- but who at least has the ability to knock down the occasional three, while hitting the glass, defending well, and helping the team maintain possession, helps, regardless of his ranking or perceived value coming out of high school.

15 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Not all the time.  A lot of kids come out of high school and go to lesser D-1 schools only to be noticed by the big time schools.  That kid from Valpo comes to mind a few years back.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

UL had a player starting for them and won a championship who transferred from George Mason in Luke Hancock.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

UL had a player starting for them and won a championship who transferred from George Mason in Luke Hancock.

It happens more frequently than what a lot of people think.  It ain't like Vermont is that bad.  Every time I turn around it seems like they are in the dance.

1 hour ago, rico said:

It happens more frequently than what a lot of people think.  It ain't like Vermont is that bad.  Every time I turn around it seems like they are in the dance.

This. He started about half the time as a freshman at a decent program and decided to give up basketball so he transfers home. Then after a year decided he missed it and wanted to play. Now he is a senior (junior eligibility) who played for a decent program as a freshman and just has a ton of knowledge and experience. Let's not overlook having an older brother in the NBA has undoubtedly helped his basketball IQ. 

And while I'm not saying he is as good as Baker Mayfield, Baker Mayfield walked on at Oklahoma originally. Who cares that if someone has a scholarship or not?

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I know it's nice to be stacked on highly ranked recruits, but it's also nice to have a guy who plays very well as a glue guy, and yes those guys do start. 

Thing is, he is helping the team -- it would be one thing if we were starting an under-recruited kid who wasn't playing very well, who wasn't contributing well, but that's not the case here. Whether or not McRoberts can start next season, what he's doing now is helping us defensively and a lot on the glass, and he rarely makes dumb mistakes -- he also helps in maintaining possessions by not turning it over, as well as by hitting the offensive glass. You can contrast that with a kid like a Blackmon, fantastic offensive player, and you need guys who can rain threes, but he also struggled on the defensive end and made bad decisions etc. Having a guy who may not be a major scoring threat -- but who at least has the ability to knock down the occasional three, while hitting the glass, defending well, and helping the team maintain possession, helps, regardless of his ranking or perceived value coming out of high school.

I don't get caught up so much in the 5* hype.  The * rating is as much a function of who is looking at a young man as much as their ability.  Our most recent example would be Vic.  Does anyone in their right mind regret him coming to IU?  Another thing I think we learned from the CTC years, is that a great team needs chemistry.  Look at the debacle of last year despite the 5* players.  Talent is important.  CAM seems to understand that you recruit the best talent you can but who will also fit into your system.  Would love to have 5* Romeo but next years class looks great with/without him.  College National Championship is single elimination tournament.  You need some luck as well as talent.  Having solid talented seniors who understand and can execute within a coach's  system will always be a winning formula at the college level and maximize your odds of advancing.

19 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I don't get caught up so much in the 5* hype.  The * rating is as much a function of who is looking at a young man as much as their ability.  Our most recent example would be Vic.  Does anyone in their right mind regret him coming to IU?  Another thing I think we learned from the CTC years, is that a great team needs chemistry.  Look at the debacle of last year despite the 5* players.  Talent is important.  CAM seems to understand that you recruit the best talent you can but who will also fit into your system.  Would love to have 5* Romeo but next years class looks great with/without him.  College National Championship is single elimination tournament.  You need some luck as well as talent.  Having solid talented seniors who understand and can execute within a coach's  system will always be a winning formula at the college level and maximize your odds of advancing.

System players are important, no doubt.  But a lot of guys fly under the radar so to speak coming out of HS.  Vic, OG, and Juwan are perfect examples of this.  As were A.J. Guyton, Jamaal Meeks, and Kirk Haston.  Never read a guy by the *'s behind his name.  And I think McBob is one of those guys.  

29 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

yep.  there are certainly exceptions.  i would just personally prefer highly touted recruits over recruits that are not highly touted.  

Definitely need high ranked guys, that fit your system and school, etc., but give me a team with a few high 5-star types and a group of talented, hard-working 4-star types with glue guys thrown in every day, those are the teams, in my view, that are built for the long term and that tend to get better and better.

Archived