Wisconsin Post Game Thread

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't think many will agree with me, but here goes. 

I think the narrative that Wisconsin was devoid of talent last night and that there was a big talent difference was way overblown by the announcing crew. I don't think there was all that much of a talent difference to be honest. Of course Wisconsin was short-handed, no doubt about that, and the announcers played off that narrative. But, basketball is a 5-on-5 game where among the team sports one player can probably make the biggest difference. 1-10 was IU more talented? Sure. But, Ethan Happ is by far the most talented player on either roster. 

I think if you lined the teams up, Wisconsin had 2 of the 3 best players on the floor (Happ, Morgan, Davison), and for us Morgan was taken out of the game with fouls. I would trade any 3 players from IU for Happ and Davison. With Morgan only playing 22 minutes, for almost half the game Wisconsin had the two best players on the floor. Of the 5 players on the court IU's 3-5 was better, absolutely, but the top-end talent usually wins out. 

I'd add that Happ played one of the best games of his career?  Is that because Freddie was overmatched and Davis just sucks?  Probably, but he is also a junior who has always played on good teams and doesn't appear ready to let Wisconsin fall away under his watch.  

Free throw shooting aside, Happ is the best player I've seen at Wisconsin with maybe the exception of Sam Decker. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd add that Happ played one of the best games of his career?  Is that because Freddie was overmatched and Davis just sucks?  Probably, but he is also a junior who has always played on good teams and doesn't appear ready to let Wisconsin fall away under his watch.  

Free throw shooting aside, Happ is the best player I've seen at Wisconsin with maybe the exception of Sam Decker. 

Happ is a great player, and we were overmatched size wise with Freddie and Morgan defending him, and Davis was too unathletic. 

You think Happ is better than Frank Kaminsky? 

28 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Who cares what Crean would or wouldn't do with this roster.  Crean isn't Archie's measuring stick.

Of course Crean is not the measuring stick - goodness that would be bad.  I'm just making a point that we had a coach who left the cupboard pretty bare after being here for a decade.  I also strongly believe that Archie recruits a different type of player than Crean does.

Sorry to have potentially repeated any thoughts, but I couldn't bear to read through 4 pages of frustration. 

I honestly thought our offense was inconsequential and the defense was okay up until the first shot they put up on each possession. The inability to box out and rebound cost them that game. All those second chances that either led to points and fouls gave me nightmares last night. When Wisconsin fed it into Happ everybody on IU knew he was going to take the shot, everybody on Wisky knew, heck, everybody in the building knew. The difference is that once he put it up what seemed like 7 Badgers crashed the boards and IU couldn't box one of them out. They almost had more offensive rebounds than we had defensive rebounds! Pure effort vs. pure lack of effort. Sure they can work on their shooting today, but I think they better relearn to find a body and BOX OUT. 

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Happ is a great player, and we were overmatched size wise with Freddie and Morgan defending him, and Davis was too unathletic. 

You think Happ is better than Frank Kaminsky? 

There is no doubt in my mind Happ through 2.5 years is significantly better than Kaminsky through 2.5 years.  Kaminsky as a senior vs. Happ as  junior, however, is a really tough call.  

Kamisnky was no doubt the better shooter, but I think Happ is a better defender, rebounder and passer.  He can't score in the variety of ways that Kamisnky could, but he obviously knows how to score as well.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

It might also be because as was revealed during and after the game, his coach was all over him in the shoot around.  He responded to the challenge.

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Of course Crean is not the measuring stick - goodness that would be bad.  I'm just making a point that we had a coach who left the cupboard pretty bare after being here for a decade.  I also strongly believe that Archie recruits a different type of player than Crean does.

So no more Zellers, Olidipos, Yogis, OG's or Morgan's?  That's pretty depressing.

1 minute ago, Muddy River said:

So no more Zellers, Olidipos, Yogis, OG's ?  That's pretty depressing.

Which one of the above spent four years at IU ?  Years ago. Before you whipper snappers were even born.... in college basketball.  There was a real thing, known as the "Sophomore Slump."

I wouldn't have minded seening Morgan stay in after he got his 3rd foul early in the 2nd half.  Happ with 17:18 left and a score of 37-35 Wisconsin.  Next possesion down, Morgan owns his defender for an and 1 to give us a 38-37 lead.  Morgan fouls the next possession and comes out.

I know it is a big risk leaving our best player in that early with 3 fouls and Kohl Center refs, but I wouldn't have minded seeing Morgan stay in for a few more possessions to feed him the ball without Happ guarding him.  Could have been Archie sending a message that he trusts Morgan to be smart.  They don't go through the post with Happ out, so he might have been able to just be a stiff on defense and not be a detriment too much.

I think it would have forced Gard's hand and made him get Happ back in.  Happ came back in at 44-42 Wisconsin with under 14 left in the game and was well rested.  They never really looked back from there.

Having said all that, if we had the home court refs that Wisconsin has, we might be able to go undefeated at home this year.  It's brutal watching games there.  I'd lose my mind if I had to coach there.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Which one of the above spent four years at IU ?  Years ago. Before you whipper snappers were even born.... in college basketball.  There was a real thing, known as the "Sophomore Slump."

There was also a time when players did not have the pressure to come in right away and have to produce.  I liked it when freshman came in and played a role but was not expected to lead your team.

6 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So no more Zellers, Olidipos, Yogis, OG's or Morgan's?  That's pretty depressing.

It's *Oladipo.  After a decade of recruiting I sure hope we can find some players that I think both coaches recruit - yes, these players were/ good, and we clearly see Morgan connecting with Archie. But in the overall scheme of things,  I think Archie looks for and will recruit different players.  We are already seeing it with him making connections in the State of Indiana - something Crean was not able to do consistently.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

There was also a time when players did not have the pressure to come in right away and have to produce.  I liked it when freshman came in and played a role but was not expected to lead your team.

Agree with you.  I go back to when Freshman were not even allowed to play varsity D-1 ball. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

For this season it's too bad they don't all spend 4 years these days!  Bring back OG, JBJ, and Bryant with a coach who makes them play defense and we'd have a heck of a team!  Maybe you old timers are on to something :cheers:

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Or a time when freshmen were expected to come in and produce immediately.....on the freshman team.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

For this season it's too bad they don't all spend 4 years these days!  Bring back OG, JBJ, and Bryant with a coach who makes them play defense and we'd have a heck of a team!  Maybe you old timers are on to something :cheers:

Thank you sir !

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Brad Sellars?

12 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

No more Munirus, Jurkins, Prillers, Gelons, Michels, Aprils.

Right, because no other IU coach ever in our history ever recruited a kid that stayed at the end of the bench.  And for the record, I hate when people speak this way of Priller.  What has that kid done to embarrass IU in any way?  I just don't understand why anyone would disparage this kid.  By all accounts he has handled himself well his entire career, unless you know something I don't.

3 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Right, because no other IU coach ever in our history ever recruited a kid that stayed at the end of the bench.  And for the record, I hate when people speak this way of Priller.  What has that kid done to embarrass IU in any way?  I just don't understand why anyone would disparage this kid.  By all accounts he has handled himself well his entire career, unless you know something I don't.

We get it, you're a Crean fan, let it go. He is gone.  Lets move on and worry about if we can beat rutgers this year :)

Archived